The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old April 26, 2015, 07:14 PM   #1
SVO

Colt 38 Super Slide Assembly

I recently picked up a Colt 38 slide. The gentleman I got it from couldn't tell me anything about it other than it's for a 1911. The right hand side of the slide reads "Gold Cup National Match" with the trophy symbol. The left hand side of the slide reads "Series' 80 Colt MKIV", below that reads "Gold Cup National Match". The bolt face of the slide is 9mm/38 Super size. The barrel hood is stamp "-38 Super NM-". Rear sight is a Elliason style. Barrel bushing is the collet style, and has no markings. Barrel has the taper up to the muzzle like for a collet style barrel. I also have the recoil spring, spring plug & the slide stop; there are no markings on the plug or the slide stop.

I don't find any reference to Colt having built a 38 Super model Gold Cup. And the slide is not off of one of the 38 Super Elite Gold Cup models. I have seen references to Colt making conversion kits for 45 ACP to 38 Super but I thought those were either pre-series 70 or series 70. Is this possibly a factory conversion kit for a series 80? If so, it would have been nice to have the box & papers for documentation. Comments?
Old April 27, 2015, 08:40 AM   #2
Jim Watson

I have not seen or previously heard of such a thing.
If you can document it, it might be worth a bit more money than a set of standard parts. If you can't, it would sure shoot well from the top of a Caspian frame.
Old April 29, 2015, 10:17 PM   #3
SVO

Thanks for the reply Jim. Colt wasn't much help. The lady I talked with couldn't help much since I didn't have a whole gun with a serial number and she knew nothing about conversion kits or piles of parts. I asked about one of their $100 research letters and she didn't know if they could research just a slide. One futher question, is the Elliason rear sight the same as a Accro rear sight?
Old April 30, 2015, 01:48 PM   #4
Jim Watson

No. The older Accro sight has a leaf moving in a groove for windage. Your sight picture is a half moon in the rear of the sight body and the square notch in the leaf.
The Elliason sight is a small "barn door" type. All you see is the square notch in the blade.
The Accro might be a bit sturdier but the Elliason gives a cleaner sight picture.
Old April 30, 2015, 09:07 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

If I had a .38 Super slide, I would get hold of a frame and make a complete pistol out of it. I would need the .38/9mm ejector and some fitting would be needed, but you can't shoot a slide. Here is one source:

http://www.iverjohnsonarms.com/29301.html

Jim