The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 15, 2013, 06:37 PM   #1
oldscot3

338 load

008.jpg

010.jpg

Help me figure why my No.1 in 338 WM keeps throwing one just outside the other two. The load is a 200 Speer Deep Curl with RL19.
Old September 16, 2013, 01:30 PM   #2
precision_shooter

Could be an issue of barrel heating up and throwing off the harmonics and nothing to do with your reloads...How much time between shots?
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old September 16, 2013, 01:55 PM   #3
mdmtj

Where in the shot order is the wild one? 1st, 2nd, 3rd? Is it always the same one? Time between shots?
Old September 16, 2013, 02:15 PM   #4
Wyoredman

Wild one?

1/2 a bullet diameter from a three shot touching group isn't a flier to me!

A gust of wind at 75 yards could do that!
Old September 16, 2013, 02:31 PM   #5
Clark

I have a 17M2 that does two hole touching at 50y, and the third is always a flyer.

That has a pencil thin barrel stretched inside an Aluminum tube. The barrel is heating up.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old September 16, 2013, 02:34 PM   #6
mdmtj

Quote:
Wild one?

1/2 a bullet diameter from a three shot touching group isn't a flier to me!

A gust of wind at 75 yards could do that!
I fully agree. His question is about the one shot in each group that is separated from the other two. You are right that a gust of wind could be the culprit. He is looking for a reason for the one shot in each group whatever you wish to call that one shot. Eliminating variables from the mix could help identify the problem. If that one shot is always the first shot or always the third shot that would tend to point towards barrel heat and away from wind gusts. If the shot order is random that would tend to point away from barrel temperature and towards wind gusts.

Sounds like a good time for group shots of more than three rounds.
Old September 16, 2013, 04:44 PM   #7
oldscot3

Just yanking your chain boys, I thought the big grinning smile would tip you off. These are great groups for this rifle as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure plenty have shot better, but I've shot plenty that were way worse. The Ruger is a nice weapon but it has a pretty heavy trigger, so I'm proud when I manage a sub moa group.

Next order of business is to break out the chrono and also adjust the scope a little.