The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 26, 2011, 06:24 PM   #26
Hardy

Ha Hawg. I guess it's a Colt since Colt is stamped on it. Should re stamp them with not really a Colt but Kind a Colt.
Just Kidding.
Old April 26, 2011, 07:29 PM   #27
Hawg

Mykeal with a sense of humor? Now that's a scary thought.

Hardy, in my opinion they're a cut above the Italian guns but still not in Colt's league.
Old April 26, 2011, 07:44 PM   #28
Hardy

touche Ha Ha Ha yall makin me luv em even more.

I guess someone has to take them under their wing. I always get the hard assignments .

WBHickup
Old April 26, 2011, 08:13 PM   #29
Hardy

On a serious note. I do have a 2nd 36 navy that came in the same looking box that RELee came in but it has a blue felt liner w/ Dancin Pony instead of gray. On the get go, I was led to believe all 3rds came in blue liner. I believe that was a 2nd gen box since the 3rds don't come in that type of display box. Am I wrong? I put the 3rd gen mint 1851 in that box and filled it w/ sig series accessories. That box is a 2n'd is it not? If so--more valuable? Or put the 2nd back in box w/ no accessories
Old April 26, 2011, 11:01 PM   #30
Fingers McGee

2nd Gen presentation cases have either Royal Blue or Tyrol Red lining (the RE Lee Commemorativehas a gray lining; but it is marked RE Lee Commemorative)and have no spacer blocks in the partitions. Early 2nd Gen cases have the lock mortised into the case; on late cases the latch is applied to the front of the case. Sig series cases have the gray lining with a mortised lock and have spacer blocks that take up excess space depending on the pistol it was designed for.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old April 27, 2011, 07:15 AM   #31
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM
2nd Gen presentation cases have either Royal Blue or Tyrol Red lining (the RE Lee Commemorativehas a gray lining; but it is marked RE Lee Commemorative)and have no spacer blocks in the partitions.
Here's a REL set that was an export to Switzerland. I've been told the exports used a different case that did not have the REL or USG marking on the cases. The REL set normally has the blue/gray finish Colt/Dixon flask This set had the pewter finish "Made in USA" marked flask(late production).

I was fortunate to find a REL case with the correct (USA) blue/black flask at a gun show for pennies.
Old April 30, 2011, 07:25 PM   #32
Hardy

Beautiful set Now, I have a used 2nd gen 1851 Navy w/ box and papers and the royal blue wooden box. I have an uncocked 1851 3rd: sig series with all accessories. Should I put the 3rd gen w/ accessories in that box. Or would you put that used 2nd back in it with no accessories? Then put the 3rd w/accessories by themselves if you had a shop w/display counter? Or would you just keep them and not worry about it?
Old April 30, 2011, 07:27 PM   #33
Hardy

I don't know why a put that big grin on. I'm just trying to figure this one out and it is bugging me.
Old May 2, 2011, 04:49 PM   #34
Hardy

Dang it. How come yall don't help me w/ this dilema. I have a 2nd gen colt w/ tarnished silver and a few shots fired out of it w/ a touch of bluin with its cardboard box and papers and it's wooden case. I have a 3'rd gen 51 Navy NIB w/ all accessories but they have sig series markings on bullet mold/ nipple wrench and flask. Would you put the 3rd and the acccessories in that 2nd gen box and leave it at that? Or would you put that 2nd back in its original box w/no accessories. I can sell the 1851 Navy used probably what I paid for it w/ cardboard box and papers. But should I try to sell it in its wooden box and leave all the third gen stuff separate? Fingers should know. My shop keeper thinks putting the 3rd sig gun and accesories in that 2nd box.

WB Hickup-up
Old May 2, 2011, 07:11 PM   #35
mykeal

I would strongly recommend keeping the 2nd and 3rd gen stuff separate.
Old May 2, 2011, 08:34 PM   #36
Hardy

Well a big thumbs up for McKeal. But can you find me a 3rd wooden box for that sig Navy to put them in. I can't find one. I really can't.
Old May 2, 2011, 10:56 PM   #37
Fingers McGee

OK Hardy, I'll check in. I second Mykeal's recommendation. Sell the 2nd Gen '51 as a shooter, and sell the case separately. List the Sig Series '51 and accessories as a package deal and look for a Sig Series case to put them in if you don't sell the set first.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old May 4, 2011, 07:20 PM   #38
Hardy

Thank you. I do not know where to get a sig navy colt box but my shop keeper will have to abide to your advise. I will put the used 2nd gen navy back in its box and sell it w/ cardboard box and its wrappings and paperwork to anyone at a fair price. I will put the sig series in front of its gray box and layout the accessories. I can buy a generic box but won't. Oh, by the way, He (Bill) has a 2nd gen used colt 1862 36 police w/black box w/papers if anyone wants it along w/ 2nd baby dragoon. I mis spelled secede and said succeed on a newly opened thread that was closed by Gary, our moderator, by good reason. I did not do that on purpose, I just didn't inspect my wording /or spelling.. I didn't mean to say succeed. Anyway, I guess I'll close out my discussions but anyone can email me at [email protected] for info on my items
God Bless You All
Bye
WBH