The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 18, 2009, 01:51 PM   #1
jdscholer

.30 Cal Browning Machine Gun

There have been some recent posts regarding cost of machine guns and payment options, etc., so I thought this might be a good time to throw this out there.

A good friend of mine has the above machine gun, and says he has had his fun with it and is considering finding a new home for it. Problem is, it seems to be a rare enough bird that he's got no good idea of what to ask in the way of US dollars. He's not looking to get rich, but he's not wanting to be stupid either.

My friend is totally non-computerized, and I told him I'd probe around and see what I could come up with. (and I'm barely computerized)

I haven't seen a lot of dialogue concerning guns of this nature, and could use any help that would point me in the right direction. Most of the folks around here seem most interested in the smaller stuff.

The specifics of this weapon are M-37, .30 cal. (30-06 link-belt fed), manufactured by Rock Island Arsenal in the 50's. This is not generally considered a hand-held weapon, unless you're John Rambo or maybe the Governator. He has a tripod for ground mount, and a swivel mount for the jeep; also extra barrels and what-nots.

I'd love to have conversation with anyone with experience/knowledge with this gun, and it's value. (even ball park) Open forum is fine, or PM me to hook you up with the owner. Everything is and must remain legit and above board. jd
Old October 18, 2009, 03:24 PM   #2
Willie Lowman

This is a transferable gun on form 4 or a dealer sample?

I don't know about the price of a M37 but I saw the transferable 1919s at Knob Creek priced around $14,000 to $18,000

edit: I found an old add for a transferable M-37 that sold for $18,000 last year. This was a rebuilt gun I think...
Old October 18, 2009, 03:25 PM   #3
SDC

I don't have much to add, but the M37 was designed as a co-ax MG for use in armoured vehicles; nothing says that you couldn't assembled it in any of the other .30-Browning configurations, though.
Old October 18, 2009, 09:22 PM   #4
jdscholer

Quote:
This is a transferable gun on form 4 or a dealer sample?
I'm not real NFA savvy, and don't know about form 4. To the best of my knowledge and memory, my friend purchased the gun from a Class 3 dealer when he also had a Class 3 license. (now lapsed) He has had it for 15 or 20 years now.

I think any deal would have to be to or through a class 3 dealer. (correct me if I'm wrong)

I've shot this gun on several occasions over the years, and it is a gas. I've got pictures of the good times, but I'm not having much luck scanning and uploading them. (still trying)

I appreciate you guys getting back to me. jd
Old October 18, 2009, 11:40 PM   #5
jdscholer

OK, let's try for a picture. I don't have a good close-up, but here's the guy and his gun. jdmachine gun Dick0001.jpg