Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 21, 2009, 10:20 PM   #1
Logs

.22 Suppressors - Gemtech Outback or AAC Pilot or AAC Aviator

A local dealer has these in stock

Gemtech $300
AAC Pilot $325
AAC Aviator $389

I am looking to put a can on a 10/22 and a Ruger pistol. (After the paperwork )

Out of these three what is the best choice? I know there are many other brands etc, but these are in stock with a local dealer so I am trying to pick one from the above.

Suggestions?????
Old July 21, 2009, 11:05 PM   #2
2FNSLO

I have the gemtech and it works fine, just wish I would have found one that I was able to disassemble and clean. It's already getting a little heavy. From what I am seeing none of the three do.
I use mine on a 10/22 and a P22. Both are scary quiet. It is a lot of fun to shoot with. Just have to use sub sonic rounds in the 10/22.
Old July 22, 2009, 07:58 AM   #3
TRguy

YHM Mite

http://www.yhm.net/store/22Mite.html

compact and lightweight 1" design that can be disassembled for
cleaning

This is a little heavier cause it has a stainless steel baffle but you can use solvent to clean the baffle. Unlike aluminum baffles where you must clean them with a media blaster.

But whatever you buy I agree with the above statement, make sure you can disassemble it, cause once if fowls up its toast.
Old July 22, 2009, 10:42 AM   #4
Joat

If you go for the YHM Mite, go with the stainless model. It is a little heavier but is rated for 22 mag and will even handle 5.7x28, according to a telephone call to the company.

I have the Al Mite and am very pleased with it, though I wish I had gone with the SS model, a little more $$ but.... It disassembles easily with the provided tool and I was surprised at how dirty it got with just a few shots.

Joat
Old July 22, 2009, 02:10 PM   #5
Logs

I don't see the YHM stainless on the website. Can my dealer that carries the others above order a YHM for me? By stainless is the outside stainless or just internals?
Old July 22, 2009, 03:46 PM   #6
Joat

SS Mite

All SS construction. If your dealer can order YHM cans, he can order this one.

Joat
Old July 22, 2009, 09:30 PM   #7
Logs

THANKS for the info will look into it.
Old July 26, 2009, 11:47 PM   #8
Singlesix1954

I have a SS Mite and must tell you. You can buy what you like but the the clean up of this is as simple as it gets. Removes 40 dbs from report and is rated for 22 mag at full auto. As far as a wow factor with your friends, it'll blow your mind.
Luke 22:36
Single six 1954
Old July 27, 2009, 05:30 AM   #9
Crosshair

I would recommended none of them as they are all sealed cans. The one feature I would NOT compromise on is the ability to disassemble a 22rf can. They get SO much gunk and crud in them from the 22 rimfire ammo it's amazing.
Old July 31, 2009, 09:15 AM   #10
Logs

Quote:
All SS construction. If your dealer can order YHM cans, he can order this one.
Joat
I found a dealer for this one $260 Threaded model and $300 for the QD mount. Anyone know how to use the QD mount? Does this mean NO threading? I am looking at putting this on a Ruger 22 Slabside pistol and a Ruger 10/22 Rifle. Is the extra $$$$ worth for the QD mount???

Thanks
Old August 3, 2009, 09:19 AM   #11
Joat

The barrel still needs to be threaded to use the QD mount. You put the mount on the barrel than attach the can to the QD. In theory, you can then easily move the can between guns if each one is equipped with a QD mount.
I say in theory because the issue of QD mounts has recently come under BATFE scrutiny and YHM has suspended sales of the mounts without a can until further notice.

Joat
Old August 3, 2009, 10:06 PM   #12
jsykes

Might want to look into the SWR Spectre. Its a little more money and a little larger, but is VERY quiet and can also be used with 5.7 and 17hmr if you ever feel the need to use it on another caliber. I have one and its silent on my 10/22. Here is a video of it and the only sound you hear is the action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IEihyQRpAE
Old August 3, 2009, 10:31 PM   #13
ws6_keith

Joat, do you have a link to this BATFE scrutiny? I have their Phantom on my AR and have QD mounts on a few of my uppers to accept it.

That being said, I've been very happy with the quality of the YMH Phantom. The QD works great too. It has a spring loaded collar with 4 "nubs" on it. You screw the suppressor on, and there are receiver grooves for the nubs in the rear of the can. As the can tightens, the collar pushes back against the spring and the nubs lock in. Easy to put on and take off.
Old August 3, 2009, 11:00 PM   #14
jmorris

Quote:
I found a dealer for this one $260 Threaded model and $300 for the QD mount. Anyone know how to use the QD mount? Does this mean NO threading? I am looking at putting this on a Ruger 22 Slabside pistol and a Ruger 10/22 Rifle. Is the extra $$$$ worth for the QD mount???
Your first post caused me not to suggest any others but with the one above I'll throw in a suggestion for the checkmate http://www.griffinarmament.com/category_s/24.htm.

It has QD attach, stainless baffle, comes apart for cleaning and is rated for 22 mag and 17 hmr.
Old August 6, 2009, 10:54 AM   #15
The Rage

The Outback is over rated at best and as someone mentioned earlier, it doesn't help that its sealed. The Griffin Armament looks like a well manufactured suppressor compared to the Outback and you can clean it. The .22 is a messy round and will gunk up your suppressor. With an Outback, we have to seal one end and fill it will solution and shake the hell out it and probably remove only half of the crap. Go for the Griffin
Old August 6, 2009, 01:28 PM   #16
p99guy

As for the solution you pour them full of, and let them set a couple of days soaking...nothing seems overwhelmingly effective, nor can any of the suppressor makers agree on what is best to use...AAC has recommended "Kroil" for example. Midway USA sells silicone bore plug sets (originally made for duracoat work)that work great for corking one up and filling it with majic cleaning fluid.

*if i were going to buy one of the 3 suppressors originally listed in the first post, it would be an Aviator...they are slighly longer with a couple of additional baffles.
Old August 7, 2009, 08:10 AM   #17
Joat

Yankee Hill Machine received notice from the BATFE to stop selling suppressor mounts individually.

I was in the market for another QD suppressor mount.

While this letter was not sent to me directly, it does pose a problem for me since I planned to purchase a YHM suppressor and several QD mounts for 308/223

There has not been an official Tech Branch letter at this time.

Quote:
Sir,

Thank you for your interest in our products. Yes, I can confirm that ATF has made us suspend sales of all individual threaded pistons, fixed barrel adapters, 3 lug mounts, and thread adapters. We are awaiting their ruling on QD mounts right now, but were ordered to halt all sales of them till they make a determination. They say that they are a component of a suppressor and therefore can only be sold with a complete suppressor as part of the suppressor. We are not happy about this to say the least and are in the process of appealing their recent decision. They are supposedly going to be looking at all sound suppressor manufacturers in the very near future. We just happened to be the first. This is all the information I have, and I have no idea how long it is going to take for the appeal process.

Thanks,
Tom Camilleri
Sales-Tech
YHM
and

Quote:
We have instructed our sales team not to sell additional mounts at this time. Suppressors are still available for sale and will include one mount of your choice. We cannot comment any further until we have a final determination from the ATF in this matter.

Paul Tetreault
Plant Manager
YHM
Joat
Old August 7, 2009, 04:58 PM   #18
Logs

Well I just sent my $$$$ for a Stainless YHM Mite. Thanks for all the help. Maybe come January I will have a new toy.
Old October 9, 2009, 01:07 PM   #19
Logs

Sent off for the Mite on Aug 7th. Dealer called and it came in today. Now for the Form 4 and more waiting..

Can't wait for the new toy.....