The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old September 21, 2009, 05:23 AM   #1
mrnkc130

.223 suppressor

Looking for some oppinions on a good cost effective .223 ar-15 can.

I havent bought one before and know virtually nothing about them, except that I want one. I plan on having it on a 10.5inch upper but may use it on other AR platforms from 7 inch to 20 inch.

I have been looking mainly at the YHM line but have no preference on brand.

Mainly looking for a good starter suppressor at lowest cost possible (all future gun related purchases now have to go thru the wifey)

Is there much of a market in the used suppressors department? what to watch out for?

Anyone know of a dealer in the dallas ft. worth area where I could go take a look at some? or even better test fire with them?

Thanks in advance for the input!
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man,the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a timehanded out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now
restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things:bread and circuses (Juvenal, Satire 10.77–81)
Old September 21, 2009, 07:27 AM   #2
jmorris

10.5" is about as short as you want to go, most don't waranty with a 7".
I use RCS Unlimited 972-924-2370. A bit more of a drive for me but really good deals.
Old September 21, 2009, 09:42 PM   #3
oldcspsarge

The YHM can is an excellent choice. A quality product for a reasonable price. Consider the QD mount/flash hider for ease in moving it from gun to gun.

The run fine on barrels down to 7 inch.
Old September 22, 2009, 01:09 AM   #4
David Hineline

Using a silencer on a pistol length barrel is brutal abuse, you are not going to be able to get by with beginner low bidder silencer, you need quality.

YHM is a good silencer, AAC product tougher, don't go cheaper than those for short barrel.

There is little used market demand for a product that needs a $200 tax when they can buy the same new product any day for the same $200 tax.

If you try and sell a silencer across state lines there is $400 in tax so they really have no value.

Might want to upgrade the wife instead.
Old September 22, 2009, 01:24 AM   #5
mrnkc130

im sure upgrading the wife would end up costing me a lot more
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man,the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a timehanded out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now
restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things:bread and circuses (Juvenal, Satire 10.77–81)
Old September 23, 2009, 04:22 AM   #6
mrnkc130

ok so if i order one online from yhm, or call them to order, do they ship it to an FFL and they hold onto it untill the paperwork goes through? or how does all that work since i have to have the serial # for the paperwork but cant take possesion until after i get it back...?
Old September 23, 2009, 09:53 AM   #7
Joat

For the process - talk to your local NFA dealer. They can walk you through the process. A stocking dealer would be your best bet, as you don't have to wait to have the can to be transfered in. I don't know any in the DFW area but a quick web search and a few inquiries here will get you pointed in the right direction.

joat
Old September 23, 2009, 10:45 AM   #8
Skans

Like someone said, there really is no "used" market for suppressors for two reasons - 1. Transfer tax is $200 or $400 if between buyer and seller from different states; and 2. unlike machineguns, you can buy them new for reasonable prices.

Now, if laws change and they make the manufacture of new suppressors illegal for civilians to own, then you will see prices on existing suppressors jump way up. Until then, if you buy one buy it to use, not as a safe queen or investment.
Old September 24, 2009, 12:36 AM   #9
mrnkc130

So the dealer has to have some sort of license for NFA items? there is a small gun shop near my house that i was hoping i could use for convienence but i doubt they would have any sort of special nfa license.
Old September 24, 2009, 06:50 AM   #10
Skans

Quote:
So the dealer has to have some sort of license for NFA items? there is a small gun shop near my house that i was hoping i could use for convienence but i doubt they would have any sort of special nfa license
Yes. You can only purchase silencers / suppressors through a Class III dealer in your state. A regular FFL can't handle the transfer. You will also have to fill out BATFE Form 4, obtain a CLEO sign-off, submit photo and fingerprints for FBI background check and BATFE approval.
Old September 24, 2009, 11:40 PM   #11
mrnkc130

ok looking for a class 3 dealer thanks...anyone know of a good one in the DFW area? i realize i could use the google on my internet machine and pick one at random but if anyone has one to recommend i'd rather send my business that way...