The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old May 14, 2007, 12:00 AM   #1
cosmolinelover

.223 Suppressor + good .22LR performace

I'm getting ready to *hopefully* purchase my first can. Just doing some research first. I would like something that works great on .223 (AR) but would also be adequate for some .22 LR as well. Probably only on my 10/22 with GM Barrel but perhaps on some pistols as well.

Any ideas?
Old May 14, 2007, 12:36 PM   #2
Crosshair

You are going to have lead buildup from the 22LR. If you use a .223 can for 22LR you are going to have to clean all that lead buildup out, meaning you need a can that can be taken apart. Those chunks of lead breaking off in the can while shooting .223 could lead to a baffle strike. I bit the bullet and bought both a .223 and a 22LR can. (TAC-16 and a TAC-62)

Try this place out. Alot of good suppressor info there:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/
Old May 14, 2007, 12:54 PM   #3
Legion2600

Get 2 if you can. Otherwise a TAC-16 would do both. They're innexpensive and you can take them apart if you need to blast the baffles.
Old May 14, 2007, 08:45 PM   #4
douglasschuckert

M4-1000 or 2000

I've shot .22LR full auto through both the M4-1000 and 2k cans. There is a substantial amount of fouling that occurs, but after a couple thousand rounds through both, the performance of the cans never deminished.

With either of those two cans, just dunk them in paint-thinner (mineral spirits) and tap the threaded end on a hard surface over a towel. Let them dry and poof... you're clean and done. You can use the TAC series, but their performance isn't quite what you get from AAC's M4 series, but still VERY NICE cans none-the-less. If all you've shot are TAC can's then you're not missing much, but if you've started out of the M4 series (like I did), the TAC series are noticably louder and sound teh sonic frequency signature sounds quite different as well.

If you're on a budget, go for the TAC cans. If money isn't a problem for a life long investment, go with any can manufactured by AAC, Gem-Tech, or AWC.
Old May 17, 2007, 08:33 AM   #5
mxwelch

Does the paint thinner cut the lead fouling? I usually disassemble mine and run the baffles and end caps in a tumbler. Never tried paint thinner.
Old May 18, 2007, 02:13 AM   #6
Crosshair

Quote:
Does the paint thinner cut the lead fouling?
No, the only way that I am aware of is to actualy scape it off. Paint thinner will not disolve lead. There probably is some product that does. But I know paint thinner isn't it. It will just get out the powder fouling.