The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 4, 2013, 09:44 PM   #1
DaveTrig

Where to get Beretta 626 stocks?

Hi,
I just aquired a group of shotguns, including a couple of Beretta 626 Onyx SxS shotguns, in 12 and 20 gauge, that I immediately fell in love with. Would love to keep them for myself, but they've got left-handed stocks on them. And, well, I ain't a lefty.

Can anyone tell me where I can get replacement stocks for them? My own Google-Fu has failed me.

Thanks -
Dave
Old August 4, 2013, 11:44 PM   #2
Buzzard1

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1048670.htm Is that what you are looking for?
Old August 5, 2013, 02:13 AM   #3
DaveTrig

Sure looks like it. I'm sure it will, but I'll double check with them to make sure it fits the 626 Onyx. (It lists 626E SxS)
Old August 5, 2013, 06:47 AM   #4
BigD_in_FL

Call Rich Cole - he is the US Beretta GURU and has nice wood sets:

http://www.colegun.com/
Old August 5, 2013, 07:06 AM   #5
DaveTrig

Will do, thanks again.

It occurs to me that I'm assuming that all I have to do is change the stock to make this gun right-handed. Is this actually the case?
Old August 5, 2013, 08:20 AM   #6
BigD_in_FL

They are LH stocks? That's pretty rare.....Rich might give you a credit towards them.....there IS more to good fit with a SxS besides having the proper cast though. drop at heel, drop at comb, comb thickness, pitch, toe, etc. all make up that aspect.

I wish I would come into something like that. My issue is I AM LH and finding a nice SxS with cast on is rare without going the bending route or custom
Old August 5, 2013, 10:20 AM   #7
DaveTrig

Quote:
I wish I would come into something like that. My issue is I AM LH and finding a nice SxS with cast on is rare without going the bending route or custom
Well, this is part of a small lot of guns that I'm moving for a friend whose father passed away. His father was a lefty, and I think he had a number of them fitted for left-handed shooting. The cast on the 626 is the most pronounced, and the stock seems flatter on the left side than the right, so I'm assuming that's actually a left-handed stock. I could be wrong -- I'm learning, but I'm still kind of a newbie when it comes to shotguns and fitting.

The upshot is, I've got 5 SxS shotguns on my A&D book, which were previously owned by a left-handed shooter, and at least 4 of them are getting sold. (I have a weakness for Italian shotguns, thus the effort to keep the 626 12ga.) I'm going to try to find someone local who can tell me which have been cast for LH. Once I do, I'll let you know.

Here's a quick list of the SxS I've got. All are 95-98% condition. This guy babied his guns.

Beretta 626 Onyx 20ga 28" - Seems only slightly cast for LH if at all
Beretta 626 Onyx 12ga 26" ported - profound LH cast.
Beretta 424 26" fixed choke M/IC - Stock looks straight but I could be wrong.
Stoeger Uplander 20ga 26" - Looks straight (doubt anyone would bother fitting a Stoeger)
Merkel Model 8 (pretty sure) 12ga 28" ported - May be slightly cast for LH

Also have:
Lakefield model 90B Biathalon .22LR, LH bolt action

Weatherby Orion Sporting 12ga 28"
Browning Citori Gran Lightning 26"

I'm definitely keeping either the Citori or Orion, and maybe the 626 12ga. The rest will be up for sale.

Thanks again,
Dave
Old August 5, 2013, 02:02 PM   #8
BigD_in_FL

When talking to stock folks, cast off is for RH folks and cast on is for LH folks. Some stocks can be steam-bent the other way, but depending on the scenario might not be worth the time or trouble or chance of breakage
Old August 5, 2013, 02:43 PM   #9
DaveTrig

Yeah, I meant to say "cant". There's quite a cant to the 686, and it is cast on quite a bit.
Old August 5, 2013, 03:13 PM   #10
BigJimP

I would add Joel Etchen to your list ...along with Cole....they're both very good with Beretta shotguns / and have stocks in inventory - depending on what fits / what you want.

https://www.joeletchenguns.com/
------------
Find a knowledgeable shooter in your area that can help you with "Fit" ...and take those guns to a pattern board - and determine your "pint of impact" based on how they're stocked now. It'll be pretty easy to tell if they have too much cast ..or drop .../ see if any of them will work for you or not.