The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 21, 2013, 08:15 AM   #1
Ozzieman

Any one recognizes this Aimpoint?

I have an Aimpoint that was given to me by a friend that was over in the sand box. He gave it to me over 10 years ago when he brought it back but never used it. It’s got Aimpoint covers and the battery cover is marked as Aimpoint.
Over the last year it’s having a problem staying on. It gets dim and will shut off when the gun (9mm carbine) is fired. Tap the side and it starts working again.
I contacted Aimpoint by e mail and asked about getting it repaired. They said no problem and asked for a photo. I set the same 3 photos as the ones attached.
I got back the following message.
Any one recognizes this Aimpoint?

Aimpoint Inc, USA
14103 Mariah Court
Chantilly, VA 20151

As best as I can tell from the picture you have attached, it appears the optic you have is not a genuine Aimpoint.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.

Last edited by Ozzieman; October 1, 2016 at 05:21 PM.
Old October 8, 2013, 03:55 AM   #2
Tejicano

I wonder if that might be a Japanese made fake that was produced for air-soft guns. I have seen some red-dot type sights made for those air-soft toys which have very accurate looking "Aimpoint" logo on them.

Here is one :

http://www.amazon.co.jp/Aimpoint-JH4...83%BC%E3%83%97
Old October 9, 2013, 07:53 AM   #3
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

It's very likely a fake. I've a very interesting story about an incident that happened on the way to SHOT SHOW last January.
The punch line is that my buddy was handcuffed and taken by Homeland Security to a Lock Up, because the Red Dots he was selling were from China. They looked like Aim Points and EOTechs.
He lost 3,000 dollars worth of inventory and was lucky to avoid prosecution.
He always said "Clone" and "Replica" so he never tried to sell it as a genuine article... but still.
Old October 11, 2013, 09:17 PM   #4
Ridge_Runner_5

On the side opposite the battery tube, on the body of the optic, you should see Aimpoint printed on the side, in black. If it's not there, or it's there and in white, then it's likely a fake. Lens covers and battery cover can be exchanged with real ones for minimal cost.

The mount it's in is definitely not Aimpoint, though. Theirs have knurled finger screws.
Old October 12, 2013, 11:32 AM   #5
wilddoggg

Probably a Chinese knockoff but if you got it for free and used it for ten years I don't think you can complain about that.

Here is one that looks like it, for $31 with free shipping you should be set for ten more years.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/M2-Gr...839626864.html
Old October 12, 2013, 12:47 PM   #6
Old Stony

Those are generally for sale on ebay for about 30 bucks or so. I ended up with one and put it on a Colt AR I have in 9mm, and it has worked fine so far. 10 yrs. out of a Chinese fake is really pretty good.