The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 22, 2000, 04:52 PM   #1
PKAY

A few weeks back we had a thread here discussing cylinder and crane disassembly for Smith revolvers. Colt was included as well.

As my son would say, "What's up with this, Dad?" I am fortunate enough to be the owner of two Colt Pythons (blue with 6" bbls.) and a Colt Officers Model target revolver (.38 special). Using the Gun Digest produced book for assembly/disassembly of revolvers by J.B. Wood, something very interesting occurred.

In disassembling the cylinder and crane for the Officers Model, the ejector rod head is removed from the front of the ejector rod (unscrewed counterclockwise). The ejector/ratchet head is then unscrewed from the rear of the cylinder assembly using a Brownells Colt tool or wire bending round nose pliers (again counterclockwise). The crane/ejector rod assembly is then removed from the front of the cylinder. A standard Colt wrench is used to unscrew the ejector nut from the rear of the cylinder arbor on the crane. The ejector rod and spring are then removed.

The Python is different in disassembly! The ejector rod head is gripped in the same way as for the Officers Model. However, the entire ejector rod is unscrewed (counterclockwise) from the assembly. The ejector/ratchet head is NOT REMOVED from the ejector rod sheath as with the Officers Model.

OK,OK, so what's the point. It's this: One of my Pythons conforms to the procedure outlined in the book for the Python. The other conforms to that applicable to the Officers Model! The ejector rod head unscrews, not the entire rod. The ejector/ratchet head unscrews just as with the Officers Model. This I found by trial and error.

Exercise great care, my friends, when disassembling the Python cylinder assembly. Is this an anomaly or what?
Old October 22, 2000, 09:13 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

No, it is a design change by Colt. The early Pythons had the older mechanism and the cylinder as described in the book. The newer ones did not go to the new (Mk III/Mk V) innards, but Colt did make a few changes for commonality of production and the cylinder change you describe was among them. Colt essentially adopted the S&W system but without the center locking pin.

Jim
Old October 23, 2000, 10:55 AM   #3
PKAY

Jim - Thanks for the info on the evolution of Colt cylinder assy design. Do you know if there is a serial number range for each, or is that a question more appropriately posed to Colt?

------------------
Safe shooting - PKAY
Old October 23, 2000, 12:09 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Sorry, none of my serial number lists go into those kind of changes. Colt could help, but they will probably charge for the info. I don't know of any Colt books that go into those guns in detail, either.

Colt double action models are a very neglected collecting field, even for the military models (1892, etc.). The SAA and the Model 1911 have tons of info, but the standard DA models just have very little.

Jim
Old October 23, 2000, 12:33 PM   #5
PKAY

Thanks for the info. I know the Python is heading down the collector road. It may be a fun area to research.

------------------
Safe shooting - PKAY