The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 24, 2015, 10:58 AM   #26
histed

sounds encouraging, KY, very encouraging.
Old February 26, 2015, 02:44 PM   #27
GeauxTide

I just don't like muzzle brakes

I had a Cervical Fusion in 2012 and shot my 30-06 a year later, which recoils about like my 7mm Mag. Did not like it. Got a Savage LH 16 in 260 and shoot 100gr Noslers without complaint. They also make it in 7-08. One other thing, I had no problems shooting my M1A Scout Squad, so you might consider an auto. Browning's BAR comes in 243, 7-08, 308. I owned a 308 when they first came out. It was amazing without a recoil pad with 150s. If you want to show off, they make a LH, too.

Last edited by GeauxTide; February 26, 2015 at 02:50 PM.
Old February 26, 2015, 03:33 PM   #28
P5 Guy

Chest Crackers

histed, In '05 I needed a valve job and had to go to the chest cracker for that. I've been shooting any and all of my military surplus rifles as intended. No sissy pads, with full powered ammunition. 7.92x57 with 196g bullets in K98s of all kinds. 7.62x54R with 174g bullets in M44s, 303BRIT with 176g bullets and my M1903A3 and never had a worry or problem.
Old February 26, 2015, 07:04 PM   #29
Paul B.

Guess I've been lucky. No problems yet at 76. Spent a night in the hospital about two weeks ago for a pneumonia related problem on a heart monitor because of chest pain related to the pneumonia. Apparently the old ticker is still working OK.
For many years I worked with a gentleman who'd had open heart surgery and he used three rifles and several shotguns. IIRC the shotguns were all 12 gauges. The rifles were a two Ruger M77s, one a .243 and the other a 6MM Remington. The third rifle was a Winchester M70 in 30-06. He only used the 06when he was lucky enough to draw a tag for elk.
I have matching Ruger #1B's in 30-06 and 7MM Rem. Mag., same scopes on both rifles and weight is within mere ounces of each other. I can't tell any difference in recoil with a top load 180 gr. bullet from the 06 and a top load 175 gr. bullet in the 7 Mag.
If you a stand the noise, you could put a muzzle brake on your & Mag. and add a Pachmeyr Decelerator pad. With really good hearing protection I believe that gun would feel like a 7-08 or 7X57 Mauser. I have data round here somewhere that makes the 7MM Mag. kick like a 7x57, 7-08 and .280 Rem. which I can pass on if you want to look at it.
Paul B.
Old February 27, 2015, 11:04 AM   #30
ELMOUSMC

Give it some time!

About 10 years ago I had a 5 way bypass 7 hours on the table -My Doctor was an avid hunter and reloader, his plan was to lay low, clean all your guns get all your reloading done-Everyday 5times a day raise your arms to shoulder level and move your arms back as if you were trying to touch your elbows together do this 10 times-when you can do this without pain at the incision site you are good to go-lay off the heavy magnums for a while-with in 6 months I was able shoot anything I wanted with no issues
good luck
Old February 28, 2015, 07:40 PM   #31
Bucksnort1

Histed,

Many years ago, I shot a Weatherby Mark V in 300 mag. It had a muzzle brake, which made it feel like an -06 with 150 grain bullets. I agree with the suggestion to install a muzzle brake. They are not very expensive to buy and have someone install it.
Old March 3, 2015, 07:39 PM   #32
histed

Thanks again, fellas. As soon as I can get cleared by the surgeon and the flippin' weather breaks, I'm going to try some reduced loads in the mag. If that's uncomfortable, I'll turn her into a safe queen for now and borrow my brother's 7-08 or 243 for this coming deer season. All of the comments and encouragement are very much appreciated.
Old March 3, 2015, 08:26 PM   #33
giaquir

I had a heart attack and had a stent
installed. My doctor said no shooting
for 3 months and I was lucky,no
visible damage to the heart
Old March 9, 2015, 12:12 AM   #34
Major Dave (retired)

Numbness in the left side

of the chest is probably caused by the surgeon removing the artery going to your breast (Mammary artery) to be used to construct the bypasses for your clogged arteries.

My heart surgeon, after "cracking" my breast bone, removed my left mammary artery and about a foot long segment of an artery from my crotch to within a few inches of my left knee. Made enough "tubing" to construct 3 bypasses for me.

Since I am left handed, I mount my rifle and shotgun to the left shoulder' and the numb area of my chest. Surgery was conducted late July (1997), so I didn't dove or deer hunt that fall. I went back to my normal hunting schedule the next fall.

My left chest area remained numb for several more years, but feels OK now.

In 2006 (9 years after 3X bypass) I bought a 270 WSM, and never had any problem with the recoil (150 gr bullet @ about 3,100 fps MV).

Recent test results showed, "All 3 bypasses look like they were just completed".
Old March 9, 2015, 04:50 AM   #35
Geezerbiker

A few years back a friend of mine had a quad by pass just after buying a new '06. Of course that was the only gun he wanted to shoot. So I made up 30 rounds with the Ed Harris Red Dot load data. The recoil was more like a .223 than an '06 and he was able to enjoy his new rifle before his bones healed...

To sum up, where there's the will, a way will be found...

Tony
Old March 9, 2015, 12:37 PM   #36
T. O'Heir

Reduced loads in the mag is lighter bullets, not less powder.
No chest numbness for me at all. Bit of it in my thumb. Vein taken from my wrist. Long gone now.
Old March 14, 2015, 10:03 AM   #37
the blur

I just had a stent done. How long did you wait before pistols & rifle ?
Old March 14, 2015, 03:57 PM   #38
zach_

It sounds like most of us were very lucky. I have spoken to several people that had their bypass surgery done when the "harvest" of veins was as bad as the bypass surgery. My mc`tripple had them getting veins from my leg. Small, but deep scars beside the knee and at the crotch. More than one fellow heart patient had scars from crotch to ankle where they harvested parts for the job.

Those of you that just had a procedure done, I would listen to your doctor's advice only. One of the doctors involved told me he would boot me as a patient if I started smoking afterwards at any time. Haven't smoked since the attack.

I was told that handguns were OK 2 weeks after my second op, which was a stent.
Old April 4, 2015, 09:05 PM   #39
Clark

I just worked on this

This is a thread on taming the 7mmRM recoil.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=561152
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?