The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 18, 2004, 12:59 PM   #1
Fred Hansen

W. Wa Friends Of Nra Event

Five years ago core members of our local sportsmen's club dedicated themselves to the idea of becoming N.R.A. Instructors. Our purpose was a simple one. We saw the need to provide instruction on the safe use, cleaning, and storage of firearms. We also saw a need for teaching people how to defend themselves. Antis certainly weren't going to do it.

And so we have 15 current instructors. They are variously credentialed in rifle, pistol, shotgun, personal protection, and home firearm safety. We have four Range Safety Officers, and one Certified N.R.A. Trainer. Added to this was our existing cadre of WA St. Certified Hunter Education Instructors, and what we were left with was a formidable array of experienced people who were ready to teach safe firearms use, and self-defense.

We had one small problem. Many of our students had no gear of their own. We (the instructors) have lots of gear, but we suffered from a lack of consistency between action types, safety locations, fit, etc., not to mention a need for quality hearing protection, eye protection, etc.

In the past four years, Friends of N.R.A. Foundation has provided $9,100 dollars worth of grants that were the solution to our equipment problems.

We were able to stretch every last cent we were given, including building target .22s by modifying quality inexpensive rifles with target sights, and new stocks to save money. We have an average of a class and a half a month, a week-long N.R.A. Shooting Sports Camp for kids, and a fully outfitted Hunter Ed. class. We now have a Junior Rifle Team that we coach in conjunction with the American Legion Shooting Sports program, our local V.F.W. and the Vashon Veterans Association.

As grateful recipients, we have decided that we want the opportunity to give back. I would like to invite all of you to help to continue this tradition of passing on our unique American heritage.

You are cordially invited to:

2nd Annual Vashon Friends of NRA Committee

Banquet and Auction
When:
Saturday June 19th 2004

Where:
Vashon Sportsmen’s Club
Singer Rd. Vashon, WA

Time:
5:30 P.M. Social Hour
7:00 Dinner: (featuring moose meat) and Auction

Ticket Contact:
Fred Hansen – (206) 463-4079

FONRA Gun Of The Year 2004

The Remington Model 572 BDL Deluxe Fieldmaster was made exclusively for Friends of NRA and is the only pump-action .22 rimfire made in America today. An extremely versatile model capable of handling 22 shorts, 22 longs and 22 long-rifle cartridges interchangeably. Other features include adjustable big-game sights, positive cross-bolt safety with Integrated Security System, grooved receiver for scope mounts and a walnut stock. This firearm is manufactured in classic form like the original. Baron Engraving embellished 1,000 of these firearms with a squirrel design, NRA logo and “Friends of NRA 2004 Gun of the Year” on the receiver and sequential numbering on the trigger loop.

The NRA Foundation (Friends Of NRA) Is A 501(3)C
NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION
"This started out as a documentary on gun violence in America, but the largest mass murder in our history was just committed -- without the use of a single gun! Not a single bullet fired! No bomb was set off, no missile was fired, no weapon (i.e., a device that was solely and specifically manufactured to kill humans) was used. A boxcutter! -- I can't stop thinking about this. A thousand gun control laws would not have prevented this massacre. What am I doing?"

Michael Moore

Last edited by Fred Hansen; May 19, 2004 at 05:30 AM.
Old May 18, 2004, 03:49 PM   #2
Sixgun Symphony

Vashon Island?
Old May 18, 2004, 10:16 PM   #3
Fred Hansen

Hi Sixgun,

Vashon Island is the place. I know that we have a (pretty well deserved) reputation for having more fruitcakes than a landfill after Christmas on this rock, but there remains a hard corp of real Americans on Vashon.

If you are ever on the Island feel free to PM me, or give me a call 206-463-4079, and if you/I have time we can go down to the range for a bit.
"This started out as a documentary on gun violence in America, but the largest mass murder in our history was just committed -- without the use of a single gun! Not a single bullet fired! No bomb was set off, no missile was fired, no weapon (i.e., a device that was solely and specifically manufactured to kill humans) was used. A boxcutter! -- I can't stop thinking about this. A thousand gun control laws would not have prevented this massacre. What am I doing?"

Michael Moore
Old May 19, 2004, 05:26 AM   #4
Fred Hansen

The Beretta ES100 Slug Combo ,designed by Beretta USA Corporation, allows for instinctive handling, responsiveness and pointability. Features a 3” chamber, 24” slug barrel, 28” field barrel, multichoke (F, M, IC), synthetic stock and additional fore-end for rifled slug barrel. Baron Engraving embellished 925 units with the Friends of NRA logo on the receiver.

We've got bunches of really great stuff for this gig. Hope to see some TFLers at the event!

Michael Moore
Old May 19, 2004, 05:29 AM   #5
Fred Hansen

The Smith and Wesson Model 629 Classic .44 Magnum revolver continues to be the favorite among handgun hunters and revolver competitors. Large frame, 6 round capacity, 6.5” barrel with partridge and adjustable white outline sight. Made of stainless steel material and satin stainless finish. 925 units embellished by Baron Engraving with an Eagle design and “National Rifle Association” on the right side plate of the frame.

Michael Moore
Old May 19, 2004, 08:19 PM   #6
Fred Hansen

A resin cast sculpture honoring the two men who bravely explored the Mid-Western and Western United States in the early 1800’s. Sculpted by Rick Terry and produced by Big Sky Carvers Inc., each sculpture is sequentially numbered through 1000. A brass nameplate affixed to the wooden base includes the title, sculptor name, sequential numbering and “Friends of NRA Edition”.

Michael Moore
Old May 20, 2004, 01:32 AM   #7
El Rojo

As Chairman of the Taft Friends of the NRA committee, I wish you luck. Then I want to ask you if you can figure out why them made a .22 LR the Gun of the Year? Can you think of a gun more unlikely to make money as a gun of the year? If you find a good way of selling that one, let me know. We will probably make a game out of it as we know making it our pre-event gun will be a sure bust.
Old May 20, 2004, 11:12 AM   #8
Fred Hansen

Hi El Rojo,

Yeah, the .22 as rifle of the year is a tough one, but I guess they are trying to go for a little sentimentality this time around. Apparently this Remington Model 572 BDL Deluxe Fieldmaster is kind of a legendary rifle among Remington owners (I'm a Winchester/Browning guy myself*) and lots and lots of folks had them as their first .22 rifle. Remington hasn't made this model in something like 30 years, and so FONRA made a deal with Rem to make 1,000 of them for our events. The thinking is that people with fond memories of them have enough resources to spend a lot of cash on what is essentially a collector's grade memory of youth.

All I can say is:

A) Thank you very much for chairing your local committee. I've done it 2 years in a row now. I know how frustrating it can be.

B) Do a Google search for things like Remington Collectors Society etc. and find niche forums that are likely to have folks in your area that would be interested in the rifle and post an invitation like this thread.

C) Talk the gun up with all of the local gunsmithing community. They will be very likely to know who the local Remington nuts are. Leave brochures and posters in their store - with their permission of course.

D) Put it in the live auction knowing that you have done your best.

Got to go to work. Talk with you some more soon. I want to get some K31 load data out of you. I got some dies this weekend at the gunshow!

* Not meant as a swipe against Remington people. Just an acknowledgement of my own relative ignorance about Remington products. My old TFL handle (before Mal changed it at my request) Was jmbg29. The jmb was in honor of John Moses Browning patron saint of gunnies everywhere.

Michael Moore
Old May 21, 2004, 04:47 AM   #9
Fred Hansen

The Ruger New Model Single-Six NR617 in .17HMR cis created by Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. This gun has a 6.5” barrel, chrome-molybdenum blued steel finish and adjustable sights. This newest addition to Ruger’s Single Six revolver collection features rosewood grips inlaid with two NRA medallions. Comes complete with gun lock and case. Only 925 firearms available exclusively through Friends of NRA.

Michael Moore
Old May 21, 2004, 09:30 AM   #10
Larry Ashcraft

I helped with the Pueblo CO Friends event this year. I've attended for several years but this was my first on the "Committee". We put the Remington on the live auction, where it did respectable. One of our big items was the S&W .500. We used it for the "cup drawing" where we sold 96 NRA coffee cups with a ticket in each one for $20 each. We ended up with three of the NRA Ruger MK IIs and they all did well in different places. We ended up having 27 guns featured this year.

Our different fund raisers are:

1. Live auction
2. Silent auction
3. Cup drawing
4. Stretch drawing ($20 for as many tickets as you can stretch your arms out) The prize for this one was a Oly Arms AR-15, always a money-maker.
5. Rose drawing (48 roses with tickets attached, $20 each) Prize: a S&W Ladysmith, these sell out fast - My daughter won this one
6. Bucket items: Buy $20-$100 in tickets from leggy 18 year old, drop tickets in buckets for various prizes.
7. Sponsor draw: some nice prizes drawn for only the table sponsors.
8. Card draws: Half of a playing card for $20. Prizes: Henry Big Boy and Springfield Mil-Spec 1911.

We raised over $21,000 this year, up 20% over last year, with a little over 400 in attendance.

Thanks for chairing your local event. I know how much work that can be.
Old May 21, 2004, 11:38 AM   #11
Fred Hansen

Quote:
Thanks for chairing your local event. I know how much work that can be.
And thank you for helping with your local event!

The money we raise does a whole lot of positive things. For instance, the community that I live in (just as an example) is blissninny heaven, and before our efforts new shooters both young and old came in dribs and drabs. Those who did come to us for instruction - before FONRA money was available - had to hope that the instructor's gear would fit them. Not always a winning proposition.

Now that we have FONRA money coming in we are able to take money that our club bugeted for training, and put it toward outreach and publicity. We now train several dozen - old & young, big & small - new or novice shooters a year! Now our training equipment fits all of them. And when the shooter is comfortable, the shooter does well, and when the shooter does well the shooter has fun. Shooters who have fun and enjoy themselves shoot for life. Ergo the blissninny quotient around here goes down, and that does wonders for my blood pressure!

We have a youth rifle team again as we did in the 50s. Our Boy Scout troops are once again achieving their Rifle and Shotgun merit badges. And the scope and depth of our hunter education classes have never been better.

I've only been a Hunter Ed. instructor for 6 years, and an NRA instructor for 5 years, but I can honestly say that FONRA grants have revolutionized our ability to be effective in our local community. I'm very obliged to everyone who supports this program, and very proud to be associated with it. Thank you.

Michael Moore
Old May 22, 2004, 11:44 AM   #12
Fred Hansen

The Savage Cub is created as a single shot bolt action mini youth rifle. The stock is made of hardwood with a walnut finish. The rifle also features a blued barrel, rear peep sight and bead post front sight. An NRA medallion is inserted into the stock. Savage has created 925 units for Friends of NRA.

Michael Moore
Old May 22, 2004, 12:17 PM   #13
Fred Hansen

Every sportsman will appreciate these helpful tools. Created especially for Friends of NRA, by Brunton Company, the package features a 4.4 watt Solarport, refillable Glorb, windproof Firelight lighter and LED light, 1.0 liter Flask and Lite Tech Compact 10x26 Binoculars. All of these high quality items are embellished with the NRA logo. Limited to 925 packages.

Michael Moore
Old May 22, 2004, 01:28 PM   #14
Bill Barrett

I was involved with the local committee in Corning, NY before I moved to Florida. A lot of the work was done at out regular coffee and gunpowder get together on Tuesday mornings .

The nearest dinner to me now is about 45 minutes to an hour away and I don't know those folks there. . I miss the dinner and the comradship of the Friends committee as we prepared for the year's event.

`Course I don't have as much $$ to spend there now either.
Old May 23, 2004, 08:32 AM   #15
El Rojo

Bill, this is a good chance for you to start a dinner in your area! Just get a hold of the area field rep and tell him you need a dinner in your community and you want to be on the starting committee. Heck, I was only 26 and the youngest guy in our committee and they made me chairman. We had a fine dinner for the first time. I hope it goes even better this year. Give it a shot. Just because you are on the committee doesn't mean you can't participate just like everyone else. I did give back our early bird 10/22 since that was the first drawing of the evening and my name came out of the bucket!!! I didn't want to start out the evening that way and I already have two of them, so I tore up my ticket and drew another. Now had that been a Kimber, I don't know if I would have been so generous. Wait, I know I wouldn't have been that generous.

Fred, we are going to try a new idea this year with our sponsor drawing. Last year we just had one auction for a Kimber Pro Carry II for the 16 sponsors. A very nice gift. This year we couldn't decide to go with a shotgun, a rifle, or a handgun for the sponsor drawing, so we are going to go with all three! Yes, the sponsor will get their choice of the Wheatherby SAS Field 12 gauge, A Kimber Pro Carry II, and a Ruger M77 .300 WSM. They get their choice of one. Then the two guns left over will go to our blue table for the nice guns you can win for buying ticket packages. I think having your choice of three different guns might be rather enticing for the sponsor program. I think I will have to save up my money and do a sponsorship again this year. I wanted the Kimber bad last year and my cousin won it! grrrrrr.

I don't know though, our gun budget this year is looking a whole lot larger than last year. Maybe we are getting carried away.
Old May 23, 2004, 06:11 PM   #16
Roper

Five States Friends of the NRA committee member here. I think we were 10th in the nation last year.
Old June 4, 2004, 10:51 AM   #17
Fred Hansen

More details about the event can be seen here.

Check out the Kid's Camp link if you would like to see where the money that is raised is spent.

Thank you.

Michael Moore
Old June 4, 2004, 05:08 PM   #18
Larry Ashcraft

Hmmm. I noticed you're charging $20 per person, $30 for a couple. We charge $25 per person, and $350 for a sponsor table (10 People). This town has the cheapest people in the state, and we still fill up every year. Maybe you could inch your prices up a little next year.

On the other hand, if you let them in cheap, maybe they will spend more.
Old June 5, 2004, 03:43 AM   #19
Fred Hansen

Quote:
This town has the cheapest people in the state, and we still fill up every year. Maybe you could inch your prices up a little next year.
You're lucky.

I'd rather have cheap people around than the Godless communist Democrats that my little island is stacked to the rafters with. So it goes.

Our ticket prices are irrelevant anyway. Our sportsmen's club gives us the space to hold the event gratis. The food (especially the moose) is donated. We have essentially zero overhead.

Quote:
On the other hand, if you let them in cheap, maybe they will spend more.
We let people in cheap because we live in a community with a tiny - though dedicated - corp of RKBA folks that are 9/10ths blue-collar. That, and we live on an island where it costs people coming over from the mainland $20 for a (2 way) ferry ticket.

We do what we can, and hope it's enough.

Michael Moore
Old June 5, 2004, 10:49 PM   #20
Larry Ashcraft

Quote:
You're lucky
No Fred, you're lucky. We are paying $14.00 per head for the meal. I guess you come out ahead.
Old June 16, 2004, 10:52 AM   #21
Fred Hansen

Bump

Getting close to last call for this weekend's event. Lots and lots of donated stuff in addition to the regular package. We even added a Kimber 1911 to the mix.

Hope you folks don't know what an opportunity you are missing.

Little island + a limited number of people interested in firearms = Great deals

Not to mention where are you going to get a moose meat dinner prepared by an Executive chef - graduate of the Culinary Art Institute of America - for $20 bucks? Puh-leeeze!

Michael Moore
Old June 16, 2004, 12:21 PM   #22
priv8ter

Hmmmm...

I have to pick my wife up at Sea-Tac at 9pm Saturday...but I promised her I wouldn't buy anymore guns until we get a house first. And...I doubt I can go to an NRA Dinner/Auction without buying a gun.

I'll have to mediate a few hours.

greg
Old June 18, 2004, 10:33 AM   #23
Fred Hansen

Tomorrow.

Be there, or miss out.

Michael Moore
Old June 19, 2004, 09:55 AM   #24
Fred Hansen

Well, I'm off to go get this rodeo started. If any of you are interested, and you need help with directions and the like, I can be reached from 8am - 5:30pm @ 206-463-9440 or alternatively you can go to www.vashonsportsmensclub.com and use the map link down on the bottom right corner of the clubhouse page.

Sorry to those who couldn't make it this year (priv8ter good luck on your search for a house) look for a similar event sometime next year.

Michael Moore
Old June 19, 2004, 09:57 AM   #25
Fred Hansen

Michael Moore