The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 22, 2012, 09:58 PM   #1
WildBill45

CCW Drivers, Protocol on a Traffic Stop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1MF94CCBCQ

Be safe on Traffic Stops ... A cop's advice on keeping it safe.

This is the updated video...

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"

Last edited by WildBill45; January 23, 2012 at 08:17 PM. Reason: updated video
Old January 22, 2012, 11:09 PM   #2
m&p45acp10+1

I can not hear very well so I do not know if it was mentioned or not so I will Throw a bit in.

1 Have your liscense and carry permit ready to hand to the officer when they get to your car. They will ask for your liscense and insurance first thing in most cases. Hand them to the officer together. They will notice. Most will ask if you have your CCW weapon on your body, or in the car. Be honest, do not cause a scene. I assure you no matter how within your rights you are it will not go well for you at the time.

2 Have your insurance, and proof of registration somewhere you do not have to dig for them at. Most newer vehicles have a pouch in the viser. Use it if your vehicle has one. If not a viser wallet is cheap, and will hold it. If nothing else a rubber band will work. It makes cops nervous when people are digging in places where they can not see what is in your hand, or what will come out. If they see a gun in there, and your hand is there also, you will have thier gun in your face very quickly.
Old January 23, 2012, 12:19 AM   #3
Kimbertron

Quote:
It makes cops nervous when people are digging in places where they can not see what is in your hand, or what will come out. If they see a gun in there, and your hand is there also, you will have thier gun in your face very quickly.
This is why I keep my license and insurance papers in a pouch on my visor. I am also deaf and am very limited in my speech ability so i keep a card with those papers stating that i am carrying a concealed weapon and that i am deaf. I have only been pulled over twice in the last 6 years but it made the situation a lot simpler to have those things at hand in my visor.
Old January 23, 2012, 12:40 AM   #4
ltc444

It continues to amaze me that a standard procedure has not been adopted by National Law Enforcement Standards.

Even the AZ DPS (state patrol), according to the Officers I have spoken do not have a procedure which they want followed.

My personal procedure is to hand my CCW and DL to the Officer when he asks for my DL. i then answer the Officers questions clearly and directly. I also keep my Insurance and Registration in a compartment which does not contain a firearm or ammunition. Before I open the compartment I tell the officer it does not contain any weapons.

Nothing is quite as stimulating to an Officer when a driver opens his glove compartment and a pistol falls out. (Personal experience while I was conducting a traffic stop)
Old January 23, 2012, 01:14 AM   #5
MyGreenGuns

Quote:
I also keep my Insurance and Registration in a compartment which does not contain a firearm or ammunition.
That is probably the smartest thing any of us can do. I keep my paperwork on the visor, plainly visible.

In WA you do not have to inform LEO you are carrying, unless they ask. Most of the time they do not ask.
Old January 23, 2012, 01:32 AM   #6
Jeff22

CCW permit holders protocol on a traffic stop

We just got CCW (Finally!!) in Wisconsin back on November 1st.

The "official" state Dept of Justice CCW class recommends that if you're armed and you get stopped for a traffic violation, that you hand your CCW permit to the officer along with your driver's license and proof of insurance.

However, that is NOT required under Wisconsin law.

Speaking as a police officer, I wish that it was required.

Over the last few years, on vacation or at firearms instructor training classes I've talked a lot to cops from Minnesota, Montana, Nevada, and Florida. All states where CCW for private citizens has been legal for quite some time. And in each case every cop has emphasized CCW for private citizens has not been a problem. It's just a matter of people getting used to the idea, using a quality holster, concealing the gun properly, and knowing how to interact with law enforcement should that situation arise.

I wish there was a more standard procedure across the country, for the application process, for the training requirement, for the way the law is written, and for what CCW permit holders are required to do when contacted by law enforcement.
Old January 23, 2012, 01:44 AM   #7
Nnobby45

Lot's of advice seems to be pretty general and doesn't necessarily apply everywhere.

I was stopped once, by Washoe Co. Sheriff, and the officer knew I had a CCW before he got out of his car----in Nevada, the dispather has that info instantly and informs the officer.

And I knew he knew it. By the time he reached my car, my window was down, hands on wheel, and I already had my wallet in my hand.

He asked me where my weapon was and I told him one was in the wasteband at 4:00 and the other in my inside vest pocket. He asked why I was so heavily armed, and I said I'm an 'ol retired geezer who's either getting parnanoid in his old age or smarter--didn't know which. He said "just asking".

At no time did he ask to see a permitt or a weapon.

He wanted my registration and I told him it was in the glove box. I asked for permission to reach in there and he asked if there was a gun in there. I said no and he said go ahead.

He asked why I was going so fast and I said I had no excuse---had my head where the sun didn't shine a whole lot.

He went back to his car, came back and said he was giving me a warning and told me to have a nice night. I said thank you and was on my way.

Laws are different in different places. If you're required to notify the officer of your weapon and show your permit, then do so.

If you're not required, and you just can't wait to let the officer know you're carrying, then go ahead. Doesn't seem to be a shortage of such "volunteers".

IMO, if your state is new to CCW, then use more co-operation and caution because LE isn't yet used to people like us carrying guns.

I think that if I had to reach into my coat for my license, because I wasn't astute enough to have it out already, then I'd let the officer know I'm legally armed and then ask him if I could reach in my pocket. As I said, he knows you're armed, and I don't know if they always ask first off where your weapon is. And, of course, never open the glove box (under any circumstances) if there's a weapon in there without first informing the officer and waiting for permission.

Last edited by Nnobby45; January 23, 2012 at 02:04 AM.
Old January 23, 2012, 02:30 AM   #8
TeamSinglestack

We are required to inform here in the Republic.

When you get lit up, you have time to grab all your paperwork LONG before an LEO approaches, at least that has been my experience, so I get all that admin crap out as soon as I stop. As long as you can see the hands, "fidgeting" doesn't much matter prior to the approach.

My M.O.:

1. Stop as far off the road as possible. (safer for BOTH parties involved)
2. Hazards on.
3. Dome light on at night.
4. Keys out and on the dash in front of the steering wheel.
5. Grab all paperwork and place in one hand. (D.L., registration, insurance, CHL)
6. Window down, hands on steering wheel.
7. Remove any headgear and or sunglasses.
8. Wait for LEO.
9. After the LEO asks for all your admin crap, hand it to them, including the CHL and inform as follows: "For your situational awareness, and in accordance with state law, I am required to inform you that I am carrying a concealed firearm located (location)"

I've been pulled twice, and the LEO has NEVER asked to see the firearm, taken the firearm, OR issued a ticket. I had an electrical problem with one of my headlights, so maybe if I was speeding, it would have been different. Who knows.

YMMV.
Old January 23, 2012, 07:10 AM   #9
Bailey Boat

I'm not sure that grabbing all the paperwork and moving around in the vehicle is such a good idea before you stop. As an ex Trooper the thing that made me most uncomfortable was a lot of movement in the vehicle after I hit the lights.
Old January 23, 2012, 07:27 AM   #10
MyGreenGuns

Quote:
I'm not sure that grabbing all the paperwork and moving around in the vehicle is such a good idea before you stop. As an ex Trooper the thing that made me most uncomfortable was a lot of movement in the vehicle after I hit the lights.
I agree. I had a friend that got his car searched quite often. I was riding with him one time. (He WAS speeding) LEO pulls in behind us and lights come on.

He started grabbing around in his center console and glovebox before the car was stopped.

"What are you doing?" I inquired.

"Getting my registration and insurance, DUHHHHH!"

"Dont you realize that HE (the officer) thinks you just stashed some drugs and grabbed a gun?!"

"I never thought about it like that."

Last edited by MyGreenGuns; January 23, 2012 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old January 23, 2012, 09:11 AM   #11
WildBill45

Moving about is not good for most cops, as such movements to him or her is suspicious, as if you are trying to hide something, or prepare something ... both actions is not good!

The cop knows not if you are John Dillinger or the Pope; Mr. Drug Dealer or the soccer coach; or his girlfriend's husband or his mother-in-law. Stay still, keep your hands visible, preferably on the wheel, and be non-aggressive.

I wouldn't blurt out, "I GOT A GUN!" But if you must open that glovebox with a gun in it, then is the time to mention your CCW situation, etc... If it doesn't come up in states where it is not required then you may not say anything, your call on the feel of the situation but, remember rookie cops can overreact if they accidentally see a firearm near your hands!

If you do look like John Dillinger and have a violin case in the back seat, this may also be a good time to sort out the situation!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg File:John_Dillinger_mug_shot.jpeg (15.6 KB, 95 views)

Old January 23, 2012, 12:20 PM   #12
hangglider

I've often wondered about this point of when and what "volunteering" the info on conceal carry. My likely course of action would be to immediately advise if I had a CCW permit and whether or not a weapon is present--regardless of the circumstances for being pulled over. My guess is if they do a background check and find you have a CCW permit but didn't volunteer the info up front--that may arouse suspicion and potentially lead to God-knows what.
Old January 23, 2012, 12:26 PM   #13
WildBill45

UPDATE

I had to put this video on privacy until i can edit it later. Some personal information can be veiwed as it is of the driver...

I will attend to that after work hours today! Thank you!

Old January 23, 2012, 12:34 PM   #14
hangglider

I thought about that when you/other guy flashed IDs!
Old January 23, 2012, 01:01 PM   #15
brickeyee

No duty to inform in Virginia, and (at least for the state police) the CHP is linked to you if they care to look after getting the license plate in your name.

The state police get five dollars from every CHP license to run the data base.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+18.2-308

Quote:
The court shall issue the permit and notify the State Police of the issuance of the permit within 45 days of receipt of the completed application unless it is determined that the applicant is disqualified.
Quote:
The State Police may charge a fee not to exceed $5 to cover their costs associated with processing the application.
Quote:
The State Police shall enter the permittee's name and description in the Virginia Criminal Information Network so that the permit's existence and current status will be made known to law-enforcement personnel accessing the Network for investigative purposes.
Old January 23, 2012, 03:11 PM   #16
hangglider

I've had police tell me it's a good idea to inform even if not required. Hard for me to see a downside to this.
Old January 23, 2012, 03:18 PM   #17
aarondhgraham

We are required to disclose when carrying,,,

I have my Insurance papers and license out before he get to my car,,,
I hand him both my license and CWL when he asks for the license.

I was stopped about 3 months ago,,,
I had a tail light out.

When I handed the cop my CWL,,,
He asked me "What's this? I didn't ask for this."

Go figure.

I was polite & he was polite,,,
I got a warning to go fix it immediately.

He never mentioned my handgun.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old January 23, 2012, 03:58 PM   #18
farmerboy

I personally would also rather a driver to sit still and wait upon me to ask for Id or not to instead of a driver being so prompt to have it waiting or either scurrying to retrieve it when Im making my way to their vehicle. To me it looks strange for a driver to have everything in hand like theyve been pulled over so many times they done got this down to an art or either they believe they can retrieve everything before I get there but they cant and when you get there they are digging in console or glove box and my gun is on hand watching in hopes they are retriving drivers info and insurance and youve got to knock on window and advise to roll down window. If maybe youre thinking warning, it doesnt look good at this point. Relax, wait for officer with window rolled down, light on preferably, hands to be seen and wait on instructions with good attitude. Nothing more.
Old January 23, 2012, 04:04 PM   #19
kinggabby

I don't blurt out I have a gun. I just grab it wave it around and say officer wanna see the gun I am carrying today? Actually I would not do that. Good advice here thanks for posting it.
Old January 23, 2012, 04:09 PM   #20
aarondhgraham

Quote:
To me it looks strange for a driver to have everything in hand like theyve been pulled over so many times they done got this down to an art...
Seriously?,,,

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old January 23, 2012, 04:13 PM   #21
hangglider

Hmmm--I didn't mean to suggest I would blurt everything out to the police before they got a word out--but that if I was stopped, approached and asked "May I please see your driver's license and registration (and insurance)" I would say something along the lines of "Yes officer, right away, and please be advised that I have a concealed carry permit and do presently have a weapon in the glove compartment." I would think that would be the kind of thing most officers would want to know right up front. I assume there are some police on this forum--is that a bad thing in any way?
Old January 23, 2012, 04:23 PM   #22
farmerboy

Perfect hang glider
Old January 23, 2012, 06:06 PM   #23
farmerboy

Just to know, for you drivers who always have everything ready for the officer and waiting do you also have a jack right beside you always too in case of a flat you can stop the vehicle, jump out and have tire changed in under two minutes like a pitt crew.? You know, how some people are always prepared for everything. I think if it were me, I rather plan on not getting stopped in the first place. Just me I guess
Old January 23, 2012, 08:19 PM   #24
WildBill45

Corrected version, private information edited out...

This is the edited video ... editing the exposed personal information of the driver ... out of view.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1MF94CCBCQ

I also changed the lead post as well...

Old January 23, 2012, 11:51 PM   #25
farmerboy

driver and cop both did great.