The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 12, 2000, 02:23 PM   #1
STEVE M

I just bought a Mauser and was wondering if you had any history in it. It was made by Brno, is in 30-06 (has 4 steps to the barrel), on the right front of the reciever ring is marked: calstalbvt
MOD 1908/34\
Left side front ring: W176** T (the T is circled)
Left side of barrel marked 3006
Saftey has 0 on one side and 29 on the other
on the floor plate is a small u or a then 15181

That's all the markings that I could find, thanks.
Old September 12, 2000, 04:32 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

It's from the third largest (in its time) gun maker of Europe, Ceskoslovenska Zbrojavka A.S. (Czechoslovak Arms Factory, Ltd.) in BRNO, Czechoslovakia.
Old September 14, 2000, 09:15 PM   #3
Herodotus

There seems to be some confusion about the manufacture of these rifles.
Ludwig Olsen, in his book, "Mauser Bolt Rifles" (1995) says that this rifle is a VZ24 made for Brazil, originally in 7mm Mauser. He says they were marked Mod. 08/34 and that many were later converted to 30/06 at the Itajuba, Brazil, Arsenal.
He shows only one picture of this rifle, in which it is not possible to distinguish any markings.
Robert Ball, In his book, "Mauser Military Rifles" (2000) says that the 1908/34 short rifle was manufactured at the Itajuba plant in 30/06. He shows close ups of a rifle marked on the left reciever wall MOD. 08/34.30, with marking of FABRICA DE ITAJUBA-BRASil on the right reciever wall and with the Brazilian national crest on the receiver ring.
I take it that some of these were made in Brazil and some in Czechoslovakia???
The rifle Ball shows does not say BRNO on it anywhere I can see.
CZ made arms often say: Ceskoslovenska Zbrojovka Brno (CZ for short) on the reciever ring. Does yours say this??
Anyway:
1. calstalbvt is the importer's mark. Usually it says CIA (Century International Arms) with STALVT standing for St. Albans Vermont.
2. W176xx is the serial number. I am not sure if the circled T is part of it or something else.
3. The barrel is marked 3006, for 30/06, becauese it was originally a 7mm Mauser (?) that was later converted to 30/06 (?). The Brazilians did not mark the older 7mm Mausers as to caliber, because that was all they used before the '50's. They needed to warn the troops if the rifle was 30/06.
4. I am not sure what the O or the u are on the safty or the floor plate. Perhaps inspection marks of some kind?
5. The 29 is the last two digits of a rifle serial number and the 15181 is a full rifle serial number (if the u is very close to this, it is part of this serial number). These parts were originally on other rifles that were totally matched in this regard originally. The rifle is now mismatched in these parts becasue it has been rebuilt. From the very limited sample I have seen, the Brazilians usually kept the bolts, receivers and magazine assembly together when they rebuilt, but often not the smaller parts.
Old September 15, 2000, 04:15 PM   #4
STEVE M

Herodotus, yes it does say that (cz for short). Thanks for the info, any idea about year of manufacture? Just realized I forget to mention it has a Brazilian crest on top of the front reciever ring.

[This message has been edited by STEVE M (edited September 15, 2000).]
Old September 15, 2000, 07:06 PM   #5
Herodotus

Since it is a Model 34, the contract must have started in 1934. How long it went ion after that, who knows?
The Brazilian conversions to 30/06 seems to have started in the early '50's.