The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 13, 2001, 04:36 PM   #1
Spadone

Does anyone have any opinions, as to the best multi tool available?
Old January 13, 2001, 08:35 PM   #2
3 gun

Depends on......

Depends on who you are and what you need to do. I have a Leatherman Wave that doesn't leave my side. Mostly used at the range for sight adj,burr removal,pulling stuck 22 cases etc. Also light duty on the job opening boxes,pulling heavy packing staples,etc. Strong,compact,easy to open,blades lock and with me when I need it. Been using for a year plus and wouldn't change a thing. I'd buy again or give one as a gift.A+
Old January 14, 2001, 10:47 AM   #3
Canuck84

I like my Swiss army knife. My brother just bought a Wave (leatherman) and it kicks ass. THe blades are on the outside for easy opening and I think they Did a great job on it. My next blade will probably be a Leatherman. Price around though. Out here at MEC it was a good bargain.
Old January 14, 2001, 02:34 PM   #4
Brad Kenney

Love my Leatherman Super-tool, it's on my belt as I type. Not as quick to access the knife as some others, but real solid lock up and the price has come down with the release of newer models.

Brad
Old January 14, 2001, 04:31 PM   #5
Spadone

Looks like I'm going with the Leatherman Wave.
Old January 22, 2001, 10:13 PM   #6
handgun357

multitool

I have the craftsman.
Easily replaced if broken.
Old January 23, 2001, 03:56 AM   #7
Halfpint

Location: About to be gobbled up by "The People's Republic of Firestone"!
Take a look at the Kershaw (Or the Craftsman `clone'.) Locking Pliers Multitool. I used to carry a SOG Power Pliers but I switched to the Kershaw mainly because the pliers are `vice-grip style' locking and it makes it a lot nicer for both holding onto things and actually tightening or loosening things. (One `plus' is that the file and hacksaw blades are easily replaceable when they eventually wear out and now that Sears is selling the basically the same tool they stock the replacement pieces.) Oh, BTW, the knife blade on either one of them is easily accessable since it is on the outside, is locking, and is *SHARP!* right from the `git-go'. I've got it and an old style Victorinox `Swiss Champ' SAK on my belt 24/7 and feel `nekid' whenever I have to be someplace that seems to think that they make me a `dangerous person' and make me remove them.

Of course I'm out of my mind, it's dark and scary in there!
Old January 23, 2001, 07:03 AM   #8
CSOs ROCK

A lot of places online offer the Leatherman Super Tool for under $50. My Leatherman ranks up there with my Glock and Sig as some of the best buys I've ever made.
Old January 23, 2001, 09:20 AM   #9
RH

Does anyone find the 1/4 drive tool kits useful on multi-tools ? Is it worth getting one that has this feature?
Old January 24, 2001, 10:27 AM   #10
Joe Demko

I've owned a Leatherman, a Gerber, an SOG Paratool, and a generic multi-tool from Wally World. IMO, the multitools aren't worth their price. Instead, I carry a good quality pair of pliers and a Victorinox SAK in a nylon belt pouch. The multitools are carried in a belt pouch anyway and the combo weighs no more than most of them and less than some of them. The pliers are better as pliers and more comfortable than any folding ones I've ever tried. The knife blades, screwdrivers, and saw in my SAK are better than any multitool I've ever tried. Finally, try holding a nut with the pliers while simultaneously tightening a screw with a multitool.
Old January 24, 2001, 10:47 AM   #11
justice4all

While a multi-tool will never replace a tool box, they can be quite handy for small jobs. I carry the Gerber tool on my belt, and I use it just about every day. Sometimes it's just to open boxes, or a can of soup for lunch. But I also use the scissors a lot, and the plier/wire snips enough to be glad I'm already carrying them.

I like the Gerber because the pliers open with a flick of the wrist, but I imagine any of the quality name-brand American made tools are comparable.
Old January 25, 2001, 05:39 PM   #12
AAChang

I like the Gerber because I open it using one hand and just the flick of a wrist, very good buy, I carry one on my belt
Old February 6, 2001, 05:34 AM   #13
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

I carry the SOG Paratool in a pocket of my vest. Like it. Haven't tried any of the rest but some of my friends have multitools where the grips for the pliers cut into your hands when you apply pressure. Poor design to say the least.
Old February 6, 2001, 11:07 AM   #14
WoundChannel

Oneword. Swisstool. Check it out. Definitely the toughest.
I heartily accept the motto,-"That government is best which governs least;" and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and systematically. Carried out, it finally amounts to this, which I also believe,-"That government is best which governs not at all;" and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have.--Henry David Thoreau
Old February 7, 2001, 12:02 PM   #15
guerilla1138

Gerber Tool (aka nice covert deadly weapon)

I carry an old style (non-locking) with the needle nose pliers, and when the pliers are retracted there is a little tiny bit of them still sticking out past the handles, just about a quarter inch of needle nose pliers tip out there.
Now I am a carrier of a Kubaton, and think they have a lot of uses and are great, but at times i cant carry one, so i carry my gerber, and witht he pliers retracted it would make just as good a kubaton as any other actuall Kubaton.
Also it makes a great fist load, almost like a roll of nickles.

And as to what it can do as a tool its great, works hard, wont quit, and is well made. tough, strong, made well, and comfortable.

worth a look.