The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 30, 2013, 02:15 PM   #1
vffdoug

What brand rifle die set for .30-06

What brand die will work best for a .30-06? I want the set for a Lee Turret Press.
Thanks
Old April 30, 2013, 02:28 PM   #2
BumbleBug

There are many opinions on this, but the general consensus is that all brands of dies these days are good. I'd say that if you have a Lee press, get Lee dies.

FWIW...

...bug
Old April 30, 2013, 02:32 PM   #3
hooligan1

Well I use RCBS dies and I have a Lyman Orange Crusher press,,, not sure if they are Better?? but I've loaded more 30-06 with these dies than I can count,(cant count past ten with my shoes on) But they been used severely for thirty years and they look new.
Old April 30, 2013, 02:34 PM   #4
vffdoug

Which Lee die set? I seen their are several different types of lee die sets.
Thanks
Old April 30, 2013, 02:35 PM   #5
David Bachelder

I bought a used set of RCBS dies on EBay. I don't remember what I paid for them exactly but it was somewhere around 25 or 30 bucks with shipping. they are old but they work well, very well.

Like any rifle case (bottleneck case) be sure to lube. Without the case lube you will create a nightmare. I use the RCBS pad and case lube2 from RCBS. Works great.

I agree with the statement above, most die sets available today are pretty good.
Old May 1, 2013, 06:36 AM   #6
MJFlores

agreed, hard to go wrong with dies these days. With that said, I really like Hornady dies and have a set for my .30/06. I use a single stage (Rockchucker press). I really cant say how they'd perform on a turret press.
Old May 1, 2013, 07:49 AM   #7
vmaxmike

I have use RCBS (most of my dies ), Lee , Reeding , & Hornady

I find the Hornady to be of the BEST quality of all and they have features the rest don't. Lee is at the bottom of my list, they have a Poor lock ring design.

Last edited by vmaxmike; May 1, 2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old May 1, 2013, 07:51 AM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Lee collet neck die and Redding body die.
Old May 1, 2013, 11:48 PM   #9
Bamashooter

RCBS equipment and dies are what I like to use. I do have Lyman 223 dies that are good quality.
Old May 1, 2013, 11:58 PM   #10
BigTex308

Re: What brand rifle die set for .30-06

RCBS or Hornadyb

Ike
Old May 2, 2013, 06:38 AM   #11
Silver00LT

Lee Carbine Deluxe Die Set. Comes with 3 dies. You'll have to purchase the Crimp die separately, but I have zero negative feedback on this set.
Old May 2, 2013, 07:16 AM   #12
Bart B.

Standard full length sizing dies, set up and used correctly, have produced the most accurate .30-06 ammo for decades. And no crimp on case mouths is needed; it hurts accuracy anyway, so a conventional seater is plenty good enough.

The only thing that'll improve them is to lap the sizing die's neck out to a couple thousandths smaller than a loaded round's neck diameter then replace the expander ball with a sub caliber one so the case necks won't get bent crooked. Or get a full length bushing die from RCBS or Redding and pick the bushing size that's correct.

Naysayers to this suggestion may want to evaluate the way they test .30-06 rifles for accuracy. Those show do it right will agree with me. Such dies were used at arsenals making 30 caliber match ammo and good lots (best bullets used) of it in good rifles with good barrels shot under 1/3 MOA at 100 yards.

Last edited by Bart B.; May 2, 2013 at 07:27 AM.
Old May 2, 2013, 07:47 AM   #13
Silver00LT

I've never crimped a hunting round to date. Now if I can just get that shot group WITHOUT a bipod.

Get a good carbine die set and practice til you get the grouping that you want. The crimp die is just your choice...mines just sets in the set as its never used.
Old May 2, 2013, 08:13 AM   #14
mhp

The Lee 4 hole turret is really cramped for space when using Hornady 45 acp dies,I had a time securing the lock rings so used the Lee lock rings.

I have Lee, Hornady, RCBS and Lyman rifle dies that I use on a single stage press and I think the Lee are easier to adjust.
Old May 2, 2013, 10:30 AM   #15
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Which dies to use? These days that can become a rather long discussion. Purpose? (hunting or target) cost? $$ are probably two of the most important points needing to be addressed. Most likely everyone here has a brand preference. Lee R/G/B dies are indeed plain jane dies. But they work as well as any other brands two die sets. I have owned a set or two R/G/B Lee's over the years and never once were disappointed with mine. Then there are what I consider to be High End dies. Redding come to mind in that category. But Redding dies offer a few benefits concerning their use the other brands don't. And there lies one reason why they cost more.

Addressing Purpose: If Competitive Shooting where money and prizes are an issue. My advice is to buy the best money can buy but shooting in Competition your privy to information and suppliers most everyday folks are not aware of.
Target Practice: Whether it be in the back yard or at a Club Range: Just enjoying your favorite weapon in hopes to hone your shooting skills or fine tuning that reloading recipe. Any of the current die brands seen in the market place will sever the purpose for that application.

Then there's the matter of $cash$ and how much you want to pull out of your wallet. The only advice I would offer on that subject. Compare pricing in regards to a local purchase verses buying on the Web. Don't forget to add shipping and sales taxes into the mix. Take you pick and go with your desire. No matter the die brand you go with in regards to that 06 of yours > It's a Win Win vffdoug.

S/S
Old May 2, 2013, 11:31 AM   #16
wncchester

If you mean what brand of dies, get anything you want to pay for, your rifle will never know the difference. You will want Lee's small diameter lock rings tho, they're made for that turret head.
Old May 2, 2013, 07:19 PM   #17
GeauxTide

IMO, Lee are fine for pistols. I stick with RCBS and Hornady for rifle. I also have a Lee Turret.
Old May 2, 2013, 09:40 PM   #18
biganimal

I have 28 sets of dies of various calibers. I believe I have at least 7 different brands. When it comes to sizing I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference one from another, but I think for seating Hornady and Bonanza are tops and Redding are runners up.
Lee are good dies but as someone else said the lock rings suck because they don't truly lock.
Old May 3, 2013, 10:10 AM   #19
F. Guffey

I do not have less than 7 30/06 rifles, I have at least 5 take off barrels, I had two 30/06 take off barrels with suspect bores, I cut the barrel in front of the chamber to use for chamber gages. I have dies, when loading the 30/06 chambered rifles I use a RCBS sizer die, that is one die for all of them. I have 30/06 chambers that are go-gage length, I have 30/06 chambers that are .011” longer than a go-gage length chamber. I off set the length of the chamber with the length of the case from the shoulder to the head of the case.

Owning a die, one brand or the other is not as important as knowing how to use it, I have Hollywood Gun Shop dies, Lock Miller Dies, Lyman, Hornady, Pacific, RCBS, C&H, Texan, Herters etc.. forgive, I have Lee dies also, again, it is not so much about the brand as it is about methods and techniques, or “knowing how to use it (the die)”, and Dillon, I have Dillon dies.

Then there are purpose dies, I have dies that fill a need, forming dies, I have plenty of forming dies, dies that are nice to have? small base dies, neck sizer dies, then there are those dies that have been ground because a reloader could not find a way to stuff the case being sized into the die. I have purchased a few of those. one day they will belong to someone else. Back to “knowing how to use it”.

F. Guffey
Old May 3, 2013, 12:30 PM   #20
Silver00LT

Wish there was a like feature. ^
Old May 3, 2013, 03:23 PM   #21
John D

I've used Dillion, RCBS, Lee, etc. They all work well.
Old May 4, 2013, 10:54 PM   #22
oldreloader

I use Hornady, Lee, Lyman, RCBS, and Redding. They all work fine. My last few sets of rifle or pistol have been Lee because I like the features. The Collet neck sizer is great. If I were buying 30-06 dies tomorrow it would be this set because it covers it all.
http://leeprecision.com/reloading-di...ifle-3-die-set
Old May 4, 2013, 11:46 PM   #23
thump_rrr

Firet of all if its for a semi auto you need to full length size.
if its for a bolt action you have the choice of neck sizing or full length sizing.
For my bolt guns I neck size and full length size every 3rd time.
I have the Lee Deluxe Set in .308.
I bought the Lee Factory Crimp Die just to complete the set even though ai don't use it.
I have shot .25moa groups with ammo made on this die set.
If I needed a set of 30-06 dies I'd get a set of Lee.
If I had money to burn then Redding Competition.