The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 2, 2013, 03:50 AM   #26
NWPilgrim

Hoarding is when you have so much you can no longer see the kitchen sink for all the "inventory" piled up everywhere. If I look just right between my powder bins and boxes of bullets I can still see a shiny corner of the stainless sink, so I am not hoarding, yet!

Since 94 I have been gradually buying more every year than I consume. It has now accumulated to where I can keep shooting and also supply my family throughout at least a year, or two if I cut back on rounds per session at the range. Several years ago more of the family got enthused with shooting so I had to really ramp up the reserve and working inventory levels.

There will always be cycles of over demand and then over supply. Common sense to stock up when things are plentiful so you can cruise through the lean times, just like money savings, or canning the harvest.

But there are fortunately always new guys getting into the shooting world and needing their first start.

If that were me I would get and use things that are available and wait for later to get the over demand items. I notice at the local store ALL the .22lr is sold out but still lots of .17HMR and they have that version of rimfire rifles in stock. Likewise .38 is easier to find now than 9mm and everyone could use a nice .38 revolver. In rifles I would be looking at .357, .44 or .30-30 lever action, a bolt action in something other than .308, or field shotguns. All could be serviceable for home defense in the short run, lots of fun right now and for decades to come, and useful for other shooting sports.
Old January 2, 2013, 03:56 PM   #27
zplinker

In my area, we call the panic buying, etc. "the bunker mentality". Thats when things get sticky, and folks with way more of everything than they will ever need, run out and buy up a lot more!
Old January 2, 2013, 05:47 PM   #28
SnowTrekker

Hoarding or not, it still means there's very little out there in stock for ME right now.
Old January 2, 2013, 05:53 PM   #29
tobnpr

Just try to find Varget, H4350, IMR 8208, or large rifle primers...

The Hoarders have accomplished their goal.

They're ready for an apocalypse that will never materialize, and the rest of us can't even find components to head to the range with our kids.

Great job....
Old January 2, 2013, 06:19 PM   #30
Xfire68

Quote:
Just try to find Varget, H4350, IMR 8208, or large rifle primers...
Were you trying to find these items locally or online?

I did a quick search and found 3 of the 4 items on your list although the powder was only in 1lb jugs.
Old January 2, 2013, 06:28 PM   #31
Sky Master

No small regular pistol primers, but small magnum primers available at the shows I've been to. Considering using the magnum primers and reducing the loads.
Old January 2, 2013, 09:11 PM   #32
Adamantium

The only pistol loads that are going to show a difference using small pistol magnum primers are the ones that are recommending them. Dropping down to a reduced load is good for a proper work-up but if you take them up to max it is highly unlikely you will see a difference.
Old January 3, 2013, 02:50 PM   #33
rajbcpa

Powder Valley is sold out of everything I use including Alliant powders, Tula primers, etc. Basically, the selves are close to empty!

I was in a local gun store Saturday and it took 4 hours to buy one lousy gun. The impending gun control laws must be scaring people like crazy. The FBI reported a 49% increase in background checks this December Vs. last December.

...consequently, this blows....
Old January 3, 2013, 04:31 PM   #34
tobnpr

Xfire...

It may be possible to "piece" meal some components...
But who in their right mind is going to pay Hazmat fees approaching thirty bucks from multiple distributors? PV and Graf's is where I shop, and neither, has ANYTHING.

The Hazmat fee for a pound of powder, is more than the powder itself...then, there's the usual shipping fees on top of it.

It's absurd, the dealers should have placed self-imposed limits so there would be some to spread around.

Ruger did it at the beginning of the year- it's called allocation....
Old January 3, 2013, 05:56 PM   #35
Xfire68

Quote:
It may be possible to "piece" meal some components...
The sites I found the items at had them all not one here one there.

Yes I understand the HAZMAT issue but, who says you had to buy 1 pound?

They had 8 plus 1 pound jugs and I placed them in the cart for check out to see what it all would cost.

I bought a large amount of primers, powder and bullets just a month and a half ago. I wish I had bought more but, I bought 1k of .224 bullets yesterday for $90 shipped and the same place is now sold out! Did I buy the last k?

If you really need/want them you will have to pay a bit more for shipping and or HAZMAT to get them at this point. Good luck.
Old January 3, 2013, 09:03 PM   #36
valleyforge.1777

I am sorry if you can not find what you want or need.

I don't think any of us could have known that those shooting incidents were going to happen. But, I think we all could have, and SHOULD have known that these current shortages were very, very likely to happen this fall/winter.

Last edited by valleyforge.1777; January 3, 2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old January 4, 2013, 09:29 AM   #37
TheNatureBoy

Went to Green Tops new location right outside Richmond, Va. yesterday. Powder selection was good, not great. Plenty of bullets. Brass selection was ok. No large or small rifle primers. About 5 boxes of small pistol primers.
Old January 4, 2013, 10:10 AM   #38
dickttx

valleyforge.1777, why did you edit away most of your above post? I have it in the e-mail of new posts from the Firing Line. I thought it was a very good commentary on the posts I have been seeing regarding the availability of supplies. Seems like a lot of people want someone else to look out for them, instead of looking out for themselves.
Old January 4, 2013, 12:24 PM   #39
lamarw

I just received a kind note from Precision Delta. They were closed over the holidays and have received huge orders. Therefore, they are three to four weeks behind on filling orders. They do not charge your credit card until they ship.

Their factory facilities are currently running .45 and 9mm hollow points, and if order is otherwise it might be even longer (assumption on my part but maybe there is stockage). If you want hollow points in those calibers, it sounds like now is the time to order.
Old January 4, 2013, 03:20 PM   #40
Ole man 52

Primers

Reading all the gloom and doom on here made me worry a bit. I went to the LGS today and they had small and large pistol primers. It probably will get scarce but for know , I can get what I need. The place was packed but most were buying guns not reloading supplies.
Old January 4, 2013, 11:21 PM   #41
RHafleyJ

The shelves are looking a little emptier where I live but most components are still available. I was able to pick up 1000 primers, 1000 bullets, and a pound of powder this week although it came from two different shops locally.

Factory ammo is absolutely non-existant around here. 1000 rounds of .223 has gone from $310 to $800 when you can find it. A local shop put out 1400 30-round p-mags at 8:00 this morning, limit 10 per, and were sold out by 8:40. People are raiding Walmart for ammo to sell at gun shows and online. It is absolute madness.
Old January 5, 2013, 05:03 PM   #42
valleyforge.1777

dickttx:
I initially wrote out a long post about how people knew that the election was coming up and they knew that there would be painful shortages of loaded ammo AND primers and bullets, and that in this life one needs to be prudent and make sure one has plenty of what one wants (for firearms hobby stuff and everything else) and if you did not stock up long ago (last winter, last spring, certainly by last summer) you were going to be out of luck because the shortages were very predictable, very much expected by everyone.

Well, it was written exactly how I feel. It said what I believe to be absolutely true. Sometimes, the truth hurts. And, when I re-read the posted comments I decided there was no point to hurting people here with that kind of "I told you so" stuff, so I edited it to more of a nicer way of saying it, but the point remains true that the folks posting that they've been caught by surprise have got to be kidding; we all saw this coming from a million miles away.
Old January 18, 2013, 02:56 PM   #43
adamc

Here in Connecticut

not much but dust on the shelves.......

even at cabelas no brass, primers, power, etc

the local wally world had a box of tulammo junk..
Old January 19, 2013, 03:08 PM   #44
hooligan1

I picked up the last lb of H4350 that my LGS had in stock....... not looking good for people who need stuff....
I'm lucky enough to have found what I need even if there is a 2 or 3 year shortage, thank god.
Old January 19, 2013, 05:39 PM   #45
charlie in md

supplies dried up here too

I primarily load for shotgun, and went to gamaliel online. Unfortunately the buying panic has spilled over to everything, they were even out of red dot. No 209 primers from US manufacturers (remington, win, fed, cci). Bought some Noblesports and 4lb of Hodgdon Titewad. Swung by the local gun store, no sp primers available, no 7.62x39 ammo, and the remaining pistols were spread out in the display case to take up the empty space
Old January 19, 2013, 05:57 PM   #46
spacecoast

My local reloading supply store has a pretty good supply of bullets, but no primers and little powder. I think they are having trouble keeping up with the demand for their new manufactured and reloaded ammo.

Wal-Mart still has little/nothing, I was able to buy their last two boxes of 7.62x39 FMJ Tula ammo.
Old January 19, 2013, 08:12 PM   #47
Colorado308shooter

On January 16th, I scored an 8lb jug of IMR-8208 XBR to load .223.....midsouth shooter's supply sold out 10 minutes after I placed my order, but they did ship my keg.

A week prior to that, I scored 500 50 grain .223 hollowpoints from Midwayusa, again....they sold out 30 minutes after I placed my order.

About 5 years ago.....I bought 15,000 primers from Widener's......5k of small rifle, 5k of small pistol and 5k of larger rifle. I've only used about 5K of them so far.

My loadin' bench is sittin' pretty and well stocked.

I also have 8lbs of IMR-4895 and 1000 Nosler 168 gr hpbt's for my .308.