The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 28, 2012, 06:06 AM   #26
cecILL

Kind of out in the middle of nowhere here.
Just walk out the door.
Old September 28, 2012, 08:01 AM   #27
belveflowslykh20

HERE IN TALLAHASSEE THEY HAVE A FEW FREE PUBLIC OUTDOOR RANGES. IVE NEVER BEEN BUT HEARD SOME SKETCHY STORIES ABOUT PEOPLE GETTING ROBBED THERE...... i PREFER TO SHOOT ON MY FRIENDS LAND HE HAS 500 ACRES AND A HOMEMADE RANGE
Old September 28, 2012, 08:15 AM   #28
jimbob86

Quote:
i PREFER TO SHOOT ON MY FRIENDS LAND HE HAS 500 ACRES AND A HOMEMADE RANGE
(...caps lock key, mon frere'.)

With 640 acres being a square mile, centerfire rifle catridges capable of going 5X that, and Florida being flatter than 4F feet ..... you all might be launching lottery tix for negative consequences. Your call, though.
Old September 28, 2012, 08:51 AM   #29
Rifleman1776

Yes, in most forests. Follow safety rules, don't get mistaken for hunting out of season.
There are many free firing ranges across the country, maybe thousands.
Old September 28, 2012, 06:46 PM   #30
Corona

Just curious...to my Texas friends and neighbors, does Texas Parks and Wildlife maintain free shooting ranges?

(free range shooters...interesting concept)
Old September 28, 2012, 10:23 PM   #31
kentuckycountryboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob86 View Post
(...caps lock key, mon frere'.)

With 640 acres being a square mile, centerfire rifle catridges capable of going 5X that, and Florida being flatter than 4F feet ..... you all might be launching lottery tix for negative consequences. Your call, though.
Didn't think my first post here would be even remotely argumentative, but so be it. How many ranges actually have your 5mile safety zone? I'd be willing to bet none of them have more than one mile of buffer space unless it's a 1,000+yd range, even then I doubt it. The closest range to me probably has 1,000yds at the most between its berm & my cousin's 40-50 acres & I can guarantee there are houses within 1,000 uses at the most of the firing line.
Old September 28, 2012, 11:29 PM   #32
ripnbst

I can shoot at a world class tactical training facility (U.S. Shooting Academy) for $30/ month. This is arguably the top shooting facility in the country and is one of the best in the world. Again, membership is $30/month.

If you are paying $20/hr you are getting hosed big time.
Old September 29, 2012, 09:46 AM   #33
Mike38

There is a free 100 yard range north of Princeton Iowa on a State owned hunting ground. Not the greatest, but the price is right!
Old September 29, 2012, 10:56 PM   #34
InigoMontoya

The vast majority of the real estate within 50 miles of my home is available for free outdoor shooting (BLM or Nat. Forrest land). There are a few nice areas that have been in use as ranges by locals for 50+ years. PAYING for range time? It's such a foreign concept to me I'd probably just give up shooting before I did that on a regular basis.

Last edited by InigoMontoya; September 29, 2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old September 29, 2012, 11:03 PM   #35
hermannr

Where I live in WA, and state or federal land that is not a "Park" you can shoot any time you can do so safely. There are restrictions near high usage trails and places like that (near Seattle), but they only make sense.

Out here where I live, I just shoot on my own land, 30m pistol range (covered firing points) and 200m rifle range (no cover) This is even though I am only a couple miles from several hundred thousand acres of National forest/BLM land, and a few thousand acres of state land.

There is a local gun club, $25, that runs compititions evey month. $5 to compete. 300 yard range with club house. They shoot pistol (both .22 and big bore pistol) steel, rifle steel, cowboy action...that kind of stuff.

There is another range about 15 miles north of the club that is owned by state F&W and is free. I've never used it. There is another private range about 15 miles south...also $25 a year, and tehn 15 miles south of that there is a big gun club with all of the fancy compititions (never been there either)
Old September 30, 2012, 07:32 PM   #36
medalguy

If TP&W has any shooting ranges I never saw them.

I now live in New Mexico and I guess I'm lucky. I own acreage and can walk out my back door and shoot on my own range up to 100 yards. If I want to shoot out to X miles, I just drive a few miles and I'm in the middle of BLM land that stretches about 40 miles. I can shoot anything out there, probably up to and including 8 inch howitzer.

The problem I have is the one several others have mentioned-- trash. I don't understand why so many shooters have to bring old computers, washing machines, room ACs, and other stuff out, shoot it full of holes, and then leave it on the ground for the rest of us to have to look at. I also bring containers and pack out all the trash I can, trying to keep the outdoors somewhat clean, so we can all anjoy the ability to use this land for shooting.
Old September 30, 2012, 10:38 PM   #37
kilimanjaro

On BLM or National Forest land, you can shoot in any area that is not closed by order to shooting, or prohibited by regulation. Go to your local ranger station and inquire as to what areas, if any, are closed by order. Also, the regulations prohibit shooting from or across any road or trail, in campgrounds or inhabited areas, into or over water, or in any unsafe manner.

Be sure to pick up your brass and don't bring any bottles to shoot. Pick up your trash, all of it. Don't shoot the trees. Don't use any tracer or explosive ammunition. Start a fire and you pay for the cost of putting it out.
Old September 30, 2012, 10:56 PM   #38
Gunplummer

Just a heads up for Pennsylvania shooters. The State Gamelands ranges used to be free. They changed the law last year. You have to show a hunting license or a permit (I don't know where you get it) if a Game Warden asks for it or pay a fine.
Old September 30, 2012, 10:57 PM   #39
wayneinFL

Quote:
Tallahassee isn't real flat. They may very well be shooting into a hillside. If not, they likely have a berm or a steel backstop. At least that's what I picture when I read "homemade range".
Old October 1, 2012, 07:23 AM   #40
vito

I lived in El Paso, Texas in the mid-late '60's and used to drive north of the city until I was out of sight of any buildings, then just set up some tin cans or targets and shot whatever I felt like. Living in Illinois now I confine my shooting to indoor ranges.