The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 13, 1999, 04:47 PM   #1
RickC

I just received my 1st M1 on Saturday and shot it Sunday. It shoots well (very well in fact considering its age) and most of the numbers all seem to be correct for the s/n (1.3M range, 1943). The stock is a replacement, with no identifying marks that I can find. It appears only the front hand guard is original, and it is badly cracked in 2 places.

The metal needs to be re-done. I was considering using Brownell's dark grey Teflon/Moly finish. Here are the questions:

1) Am I committing an un-pardonable act by even considering this on this rifle?

2) If the answer to 1 is no, can the Brownell product be applied over the metal once it is cleaned and degreased, or does it have to be bead-blasted or sanded to bare metal first?

Thanks
Old December 13, 1999, 08:40 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Rick, you certainly aren't going to hurt the value of the rifle by finishing it in teflon. And yes you can apply it after degreasing only. Just make sure there is no rust anywhere. If there is and it isn't removed it will continue to rust under the finish. You can probably repair the stock with a good epoxy and some dowel rod. George
Old December 14, 1999, 01:57 PM   #3
Joe Portale

I recieved a Garand a few months ago and absolutly love it! I think you will be very happy with this rifle.

Concerning the stock. Midway has Garand stocks on sale for $89 (?). I bought one for mine and was very pleased with the replacement. These stocks come with an oil finish. I saved my old stock so it can be reassemble as close to factory as possible. But at $89, you simple can't go wrong.

------------------
Joe Portale
Sonoran Sidewinder
Tucson, Arizona territory