The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 14, 1999, 10:03 AM   #1
Mike Root

I just picked up an Enfield in 308 from SOG. What is the secret of stock removal. I want to get it all cleaned up before I give it to my son for Xmas. The screw for the rear sight turns free but won't come out. Please help. Mike
Old December 14, 1999, 01:29 PM   #2
aztec777

Mike-Is that the Ishapore made 308? I've been contemplating acquiring one. Can you give me your first impressions of it? The action has probably been in the stock for decades. I've heard of people freezing the rifle to get the action out, but I don't know how effective that would be.

Steve
Old December 14, 1999, 05:34 PM   #3
Mike Root

Yes it's from the Ishapore armory. I'm just trying to get all the Forend wood off to clean the metal. The bore is perfect. I can't wait to shoot it. mike
Old December 14, 1999, 09:39 PM   #4
Jim V

Mike and company, I have shot several of the Indian .308 Enfields and could never get any accuracy that I could like. My Australian SMLE in .303 shoots like it "has eyes", the Ishapore rifles need Seeing eye dogs. I hope things work out better for you than they did for me.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

Old December 14, 1999, 11:25 PM   #5
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Mike, it sounds like maybe the screw is stripped. You might try driving a wooden wedge like for a hammer handle in to force the sight apart. Or if you can insert a covered screwdriver blade and pry the sight open that way. George
Old December 14, 1999, 11:29 PM   #6
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Mike, I'm sorry. You wrote rear sight and I read front sight. The rear sight is soldered on. You should be able to lift the handguard and turn it enough to clear the sight. If you need it I can send you an exploded view and disassembly instructions. Just e-mail me. George
Old December 14, 1999, 11:36 PM   #7
Mike Root

george, please send me the exploded view. I got the front shroud off but the bottom forearm wood doesn't want to leave the receiver. maybe I'm missing a pin or? mike
[email protected]
Old December 16, 1999, 01:07 AM   #8
zot

ya have to pick rear sight up as far as it will go up and pull the wood and turn it side ways to clear the sight, I think thats
what I did?
Old December 16, 1999, 07:54 AM   #9
Mike Root

Thanks for all the replies. The place I'm having trouble seems to be around the trigger guard plate. My diagram shows a screw holding the rear of the trigger guard but mine has no head, Could this be a drive pin? I don't want to muck anything up this close to Christmas. Mike
Old December 17, 1999, 02:09 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

It is definitely a screw, not a pin. It goes in from the left side. These are often the very devil to get out and have heads well battered in attempts to do so. You may have to use a Dremel tool cutoff wheel to cut a new screwdriver slot, and maybe that will help. The screw is so small that using an easyout is near impossible, as the easyout breaks. You might be able to drill out the screw, but centerpunching it has to be done carefully, and then you have to clean up the hole and the threads. Toughest part is supporting the rifle on the drill press table unless you make a cradle that can be bolted down. If you do drill, drill from each end, don't try to go all the way through.

Jim

P.S. I have seen a couple of those that were very accurate - 1 1/2 inch groups with open sights.

Jim

[This message has been edited by Jim Keenan (edited December 17, 1999).]
Old December 17, 1999, 04:03 PM   #11
Mike Root

Jim; Thanks for the reply. Now I have one more stupid question, since I'm not at home to see it. Is it from the left as I hold the gun or the left from the front of the gun? Mike