The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 25, 2002, 10:19 PM   #26
Mannlicher

I am NOT a fan of dog hunting. It has been my experience around Gainesville, and Ocala Florida, that the absolutly worst "sportsmen" in the world come out with their dogs, and bubba buddies. They tend to take the term "redneck" to a new level.

In Blanding, Lochloosa, Ocala, and Osceola, I have had run ins with dog hunters. They are rude, unsportsman like, and tear the woods up with monster trucks. I just do not like them, or their 'sport'.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old August 25, 2002, 11:04 PM   #27
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

Dog hunting in eastern central Georgia is not quite what some of you folks have in mind. Like I said you can't use CB's and you can't hunt from roads. So it's not rednecks tearing around in monster trucks. You can't trespass with dogs and continue hunting the deer.

So only clubs with very large leases have dog hunts and usually only a certain small number a year. The rest of the season is limited to stand and still hunting on these clubs.

They place the hunters in a line in known, assigned locations for safety purposes along one edge of the property-several thousand acres. The dog packs start at the other side and attempt to drive the deer toward the line of hunters. The deer are moving rather rapidly when you spot them, I'm told.

The two clubs I know of that have dog hunts are large acreage, exclusive, and expensive. I don't think their membership is quite the image some of you seem to hold.

Maybe in your states, redneck hunters can use dogs, radios, and trucks to tear up and down the highways and through the woods as they desire. Hope they don't try it here. Our game wardens love writing tickets.

Oh, I knew a guy that tried the jumping on a deer with a knife thingy. He got the deer. Before it bled out it almost got him.

And the claim that the .44 is more "merciful" than a knife. I've seen a pig die from blood loss after being hit with a thrown knife in the lungs. When the knife hit it, it jumped about two feet and then looked around for a while. Then it went to munching acorns again. About three minutes later it died...peacefully. I've shot a pig with a .44 Magnum that hit the same area. It died in about thirty seconds...squealing, convulsing, biting the ground, and flopping like a fish out of water. If you think a bullet in a vital area not instantly fatal is more merciful than a knife wound in like circumstances then you do not know what you are talking about and have obviously never witnessed it.
Old August 25, 2002, 11:34 PM   #28
yankytrash

Believe me, if the dog-hunting and dog-rearing were the pipe-smoking Norman Rockwell scene y'all describe, I might have a shred of respect for the sport. However, from what I've witnessed and experienced here in Virginia and one deer season in hugebugsville, Florida, I don't believe I'll ever see respect for it.

Regardless though, I'll never get over the "caged dog" thing. I just can't. Dogs were meant to run. Indeed, dogs do like to hunt - all year long, not a month or two a year.

Well, most dogs... not them woosy little rat/dog miniture breeds they have in them NYC apartments.

Spart - I hear them pigs go down quicker if you go for a head shot. Rifle/pistol=head, Shotgun=torso. 'course, that's just my experience.
Old August 25, 2002, 11:53 PM   #29
yorec

I never have hunted deer with dogs and have no desire to do so, but I have no problem with people who undertake the sport within the guidlines of the law within thier state.

I do hunt bobcats, racoon and someday will try mountain lion and maybe bear with dogs. If you don't think its sporting and that I'm a lazy slob - come on out and join me for a day. I promise you won't have to engage in the activities, just keep up and observe. Ya better be in good shape too, the dogs ain't gonna wait for ya and I gotta keep close enough to keep track of them so I can't either. Bring a compass and a map.

The hunt is not about killing game either - its about the chase, the music, and the joy of watching a finely trained dog do what he's been bred for. Most of the time I even let the treed critters go (unless the pelt is prime and I'm trying to recoup some of my invested costs.)

And as for mistreating my dog - I have about $600 in him this year on vet visits and kibble. Oh, double that - I've got two dogs. Glad the kennel's already in and I don't have to repour thier floor and rebuild a new house every year cause I wouldn't have any money left over for firearms after that. He gets out to run the yard whenever I'm home to keep an eye on him to see he doesn't get into trouble and at least three times a week we head for the hills for a serious run or even a hunt. After every outing he gets a good once over with the comb to keep any insectoid pests he may have picked up out of the kennel area and to catch any thorns or cuts that may become infected.

Now, that's the way I do it, partially anyway - there's a lot more than this too, but who has the time or space? Maybe you can see now that hunting with hounds is NOT just a lazy man's way to put meat in the freezer. Or maybe not and you can't see more than that big tip of your own nose...

Quote:
If a man hunts within the law you better learn to back him instead of try to alienate him. Hunting is under enough pressure now from the anti's as it is without having internal squabbles.
Thanks Southla1
Old August 26, 2002, 09:51 AM   #30
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

yankytrash, when you say "caged dog", are you talking about small cages at an owner's house? I'd have to believe that's a rare deal, because then the dogs get way out of physical condition. They don't live in those cages one sees in the back of pickups; those are only for transport.

A trick a lot of rural folks use is when you have two dogs, always keep one tied up. The other dog will hang around home. If you turn both loose at the same time, TLOK how far they'll roam. You just alternate which dog's restrained...(Or have a good fenced big yard, of course.)

Art
Old August 26, 2002, 10:55 AM   #31
scotjute

I grew up in north Louisiana. Dog hunting was a normal part of hunting life. Being from a large land-owning family, we didn't particularly care for it. Especially would get incensed when people let their hounds loose and it wasn't even season. But always felt like they had their place. Dogs do make a certaiin amount of sense in some scenarios.
Another problem not really noted is the tendency of people to let their dogs (non-hunting types) run wild whenever and wherever they want. Can't tell you the number of times I've run across dogs running thru the woods at all times of the year.
Old August 26, 2002, 11:01 AM   #32
scotjute

Don't know about others experience, but we never lost livestock due to hunting hounds chasing deer. It was always somebody's "pet" dog running loose at night that "packed" with others of his kind that caused trouble.
Old August 26, 2002, 04:38 PM   #33
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Seems to me that there is the ethical-folks way of hunting with dogs, and "Red-neck Bubbas" rudeness, discourtesy, etc. Which is why the ancient saying of "Good fences make good neighbors." is still true.

I imagine we've all seen highway signs with bullet holes in them..."Hunters" did it? "Shooters" did it?

All of us are penalized, one way or another, from the stupidities of a relative few.

Art