The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 9, 2014, 09:05 PM   #26
hvymax

M1A with an adjustable gas block or a DPMS. A good EBR puts bullets where you want so hunting or any other use should be fine. If precision long range isn't in the cards a Siaga or one of the AK variants can be set up for under $1000.
Old August 10, 2014, 08:15 AM   #27
kraigwy

Sounds to me the OP is already hooked on the M1A.

If that's the case I say go for it. I've been shooting them (or the M14) since 1966. I got my Distinguished Rifle Badge using one. Shot my best 1000 yard scores using my M1A.

I don't use glass on my M1A but have (went to sniper school and taught sniper schools using the M21). There are several good systems for the M1A.

Now I'm more of a bolt gun shooter now, but you'll not go wrong with the M1A.

As to reliability: I got mine in 1977, the Guard converted it to a super match, I've replaced some stretched out slings and shot out barrels over the years but other then that I have had zero problems with it.

I have several other 308s, and have my eye on one more (which doesn't exist yet). That being a M1903A3 in 308. Rumor had it (and its only a rumor) that the CMP is going to start selling Criterion Barrels in 308 for the M1903A3. If that happens I'm building one.

Still I'll not get rid of or stop shooting my M1A.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 12, 2014, 08:37 AM   #28
SR420

Blackfeather "RS"

Quote:
hvymax M1A with an adjustable gas block...
M14 pattern rifles, including the M1A, all have gas systems that are self adjusting.

I am currently working up a lightweight modernized M14. It's a CQB-16 type SEI in a Blackfeather "RS". I am waiting on a color matched, light weight monolithic long sight plane "LSP" to arrive. This will allow me to use irons & optics, all on the same plane. The completed rifle should tip the scales @ 9 lbs.

Old August 12, 2014, 10:10 AM   #29
Erno86

I just added a French Mas 49/56 semi auto --- with grenade launcher and muzzle brake --- {converted to 308...use only with 168 grain bullets} to my collection last week. It's still Maryland compliant legal here in Maryland --- the M1A is banned for sale along with the CETME rifle. I paid $500 for the Mas...minus the high scope mount which costs $110.

I would avoid buying the cheaply priced --- black box 308 Wolf Performance ammo --- because they've been known for case head separation during firing.
One such incident occurred at our range last Saturday, with a shooter firing a 308 Enfield Ishapore rifle. He received gas to his face from the two gas relief ports on the receiver; while using a Wolf Performance 308 round.

It sports a 10 round magazine, but buy only 7.5 caliber magazines for Mas 49/56 in 308, because the magazines that have been converted to 308 might have been tinkered with the wrong way; that does not ensure proper reliability.

Of course...an M1 Garand in 308 is not so bad. I'm about to buy my first M1 Garand, this coming Saturday, only in 30-06.

--- George Orwell

Last edited by Erno86; August 12, 2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old August 12, 2014, 11:13 AM   #30
geetarman

I am blessed with 3 .308s. The first one I bought is a Remington 700P. The rifle shoots good with anything between 165 and 175 gr. The 155 gr. bullets don't shoot worth a hoot. That rifle is scoped.

The second is a loaded M1A with the Vltor rail system. I have shot that rifle with a scope and all the rigging is already there for it but I find it a LOT more fun to shoot the irons. The M1A iron sights are really good and when you run across a veteran who knows how to dial them in, you are in for a treat. I have found at first the instructions for setting up the sights to be a little confusing. A former marine got me up to speed and I am ok with them now.

The last rifle I bought is a DPMS LR308. I have replaced the trigger with a Timney and put an Eotech red dot on it. That rifle came with the carry handle with the iron sights. I shoot mostly with the red dot sights. I like the rifle but have trouble from time to time with the 6-7th round in a few magazines jamming. I am not sure what the issue is but the rifle jams up pretty solid. I have tried factory and aftermarket mags and it seems they are all prone to a tendency to jam at about the same point. Gotta believe something is not quite right with the rifle. I just have not really tried to track the issue down.

Carpe Cerveza
Old August 12, 2014, 12:23 PM   #31
Unlicensed Dremel

SR420 - eyeballing it, it looks like that stock there has the AR15-compatible style buttstock too high to use with the iron sight comfortably, no?

Looks like they should have offset it lower about 1-1.5 inches.

Quote:
But for ammo selection you can safely use any factory .308 loads under 170gr or so.
Ahhh, alright then - I sit corrected. I had read that .308 win pressures can bend the op-rod.
Old August 12, 2014, 01:24 PM   #32
SR420

Quote:
Unlicensed Dremel SR420 - eyeballing it, it looks like that stock there has the AR15-compatible style buttstock too high to use with the iron sight comfortably, no?
You have a good eye, and you are correct.
My inability to use the M14 pattern iron sights was my lone complaint with the stock.
The new "LSP" allows for the use of fixed or folding iron sights. I will start out with fixed LMT iron sights.

Old August 13, 2014, 06:21 PM   #33
Because 'Merica

Id go with a Savage 14 unless u dont like wooden stocks then get the 12 precision carbine. both are chambered in 308 for less than 1k. And the accutrigger is great for shooting at ranges much further than 500 yards. For 500 yards i wouldnt go over a 12 power scope. considering you will be deer hunting with it you may want a scope that has low magnification for those close shots. i currently hunt with a 2.5-10x. most of my deer are taken on 2.5x magnification.
yet with 10x i can shoot it accurately at 500 yards.
Old August 15, 2014, 03:19 PM   #34
Dirty_Harry

You had your heart set on the M1A, and you will always regret not getting one. Still am curious on what you are planning on using it for though.

I love my M1A. Favorite firearm ever. If I could do it again though I would have gotten the scout squad.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old August 15, 2014, 04:57 PM   #35
tobnpr

Quote:
It's a CQB-16 type SEI in a Blackfeather "RS".
Very nice- I like...

I'd set that puppy up like our AR-10...mid-power optic, mini holosight on a 45 degree offset rail for CQ.

What are your plans?
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old August 15, 2014, 05:07 PM   #36
SR420

Quote:
It's a CQB-16 type SEI in a Blackfeather "RS".

Quote:
tobnpr

Very nice- I like...

I'd set that puppy up like our AR-10...mid-power optic, mini holosight on a 45 degree offset rail for CQ.

What are your plans?
Thank you.

I will start out with a set of LMT fixed iron sights and see how that goes.

There is also an Aimpoint Comp M4, and a Razor HD Gen II 1-6x24 available.
Old August 16, 2014, 11:10 AM   #37
EdInk

I have an M1-A Scout Squad and it had been a great rifle. No regrets.
Old August 16, 2014, 09:51 PM   #38
tangolima

I love my ptr91. With $1500 you will have rifle and some ammunition. M1a is an obvious choice. Ptr91 is a good alternative.

-TL

Tags
m1a , whitetail