The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 2, 2013, 09:21 AM   #1
Bezoar

commanche versus rossi matched pair

Im just looking at an easy single shot hunter in 45 colt. Dont really want to spend much money.

Which is actually going to be better at out to 50 yards on a deer with normal 45 colt ammo as far as accuracy goes?

or is it bad enough that i should simply get a blackhawk?
Old October 2, 2013, 04:20 PM   #2
C5rider

Bezoar,

I'm not up on exactly what a Comanche or a Rossi are going for nowadays, but I will say that Ruger's "not a warranty" customer service is top notch and, chances are good you'll never need it.

Cost wise, I'm sure you could find a used Ruger for a good price, possibly close to the cost of one of the others. Unless of course, you find one for a great price, used. My .02.
Old October 2, 2013, 06:15 PM   #3
Bezoar

i can get a commanche for 175 plus shipping and transfer. rossi matched pair pistols for 250.

cheapest cheapest ruger on the other hand would cost me at least 80% of website msrp
Old October 2, 2013, 08:06 PM   #4
C5rider

Not a bad price for either, imho.

I likes my Rugers, but I've been known to pick up a lesser-known name if the price is right. I've not owned a Comanche, but I've heard good things about them.

I'm sure someone will stop by with some first hand experience. Whichever way you go, remember that we love pics!
Old October 3, 2013, 05:26 PM   #5
slugoo

I have the super comanchee and you'd be lucky to hit a 9x11 sheet of paper at 7 yards, with my blackhawks I can put 6 shots in 3 inches at 7 yards. All you'll do with the comanchee is scare the deer! The super uses 410 shotgun shells and you could use it for bird hunting if you can get within 7 yards of the bird. don't know anything about the rossi but sounds too cheap to me. Charlie
Old October 4, 2013, 09:07 AM   #6
2000ShadowACE

I have the Rossi Matched pair. It's a good gun, but the sights are crap plastic. With a little super glue you can have a fun range gun, but for hunting, go with the Ruger, although the Black hawk has its own drawbacks.
Old October 4, 2013, 08:02 PM   #7
larryh1108

The Llama Comanche series is not the same as the currently made Comanche lineup.

The Llamas are S&W knockoffs. I have the Super Comanche .44mag and it is a tack driver.

I do not own a new production Comanche but all I've read is not too good.
Old October 5, 2013, 01:32 AM   #8
DaleA

Quote:
The Llama Comanche series is not the same as the currently made Comanche lineup.
Thanks for the clarification. I remember the Llama Comanche series from the late 1970's as being a decent lower priced firearm. Had a lot of fun with one in .357 magnum.
Old October 5, 2013, 01:02 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

I had one of the Commanche .357s from the late 70s, and it was NOT a decent lower priced firearm. I would, reliably fire four rounds out of the six, and not always the same four each time!

If you got a good one, great. If not, then you were pretty much stuck. The second Llama I had was also a lemon. 1911 style gun, the one with the tiny vent rib (forget the model name), it would fail to extract every 2-3 rnds.

At that point I decided to spend a bit more money up front, and get a gun that even if it had issues, I could actually get it fixed. I gave up on Llamas, and you know what? None of my other guns missed them at all!

While there may be exceptions, guns chambered for the .410/.45 colt that I have had have not been as accurate with the .45 Colt ammo as the guns chambered only for .45 Colt have been.

In my Contender, I have two barrels, one .45/.410 and the other .45 Colt only. The .410 does ok with .410 shells, and only fair with .45 Colt ammo. The .45 Colt barrel is more accurate than the combo barrel.
Your mileage may vary.
Old October 7, 2013, 06:31 PM   #10
DaleA

Llama Comanche - might be a little like buying a Taurus as far as getting a good one goes.

I have a soft spot for the Comanche .357 as it was the first double action revolver that I took the sideplate off it, disassembled it and actually got it back together!

I learned a lot from that gun. Most importantly I learned never to take the sideplate off a double action revolver.

Plus with the vent rib on it you always hoped people would think you owned a Colt Python.
Old October 7, 2013, 07:48 PM   #11
Old Stony

2000 Shadow.....what would you consider the Blackhawk drawbacks?
Old October 8, 2013, 01:35 AM   #12
OkieCruffler

Neither is really optimal for your purpose but I would definitely go with the Rossi. The trigger on the Comanche is just brutal.
Old October 8, 2013, 04:08 PM   #13
WV_gunner

I've never shot one of those Comanche single shot pistols, but it'd have to be a very good deal before I'd buy one. The best one I've seen looks bad. I've seen them used for $150-$200. I think new is $200-$250. I wouldn't pay $100 for one.
Old October 8, 2013, 10:05 PM   #14
Glock20/460long

Sorry! Good luck!
Old October 9, 2013, 09:05 AM   #15
2000ShadowACE

"2000 Shadow.....what would you consider the Blackhawk drawbacks?"

The only thing I have against the Blackhawk is the tiny grips that seem to be on all of the models I have seen. I know you can add aftermarket wood grips, but I feel that for the money the Ruger should come with decent grips.
Old October 10, 2013, 11:02 PM   #16
DaleA

Quote:
The only thing I have against the Blackhawk is the tiny grips.
I kind of agree but I don't mind making changes that make the gun fit me better. And I admit there is an element of 'customizing' a gun that is the same as 'customizing' your car. Somebody once said one of the worst insults you could throw at someone's car was that it was 'stock.'

There was a time where any handgun that came my way got fitted for a set of Pachmayr grips and that included a Ruger SA. Even I admitted the stock wood grips looked better than the Pachmayr grips but the Pachmayr grips sure felt nice.