The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 26, 2013, 08:40 PM   #1
Savmarwin78

Looking for info on a remington 870 wingmaster "tournament"

I have a remington 870 wingmaster im looking for any info on. It has the satin stainless receiver that looks like the 1100 competition with blue everywhere else. There is no engraving. Three chokes, adjustable comb, two aluminum plates in the butt stock with remington marked pad, very fancy wood with cut checkering, vent rib. It is 2 3/4 and marked wingmaster on the left and 870 tournament on the right of the receiver. Any info appreciated
Old January 26, 2013, 09:15 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

The receiver isn't stainless, it's either plated or a "French Gray" finish.

The Remington 870 D-Grade Tournament was a custom order gun.
The 870 was introduced in 1950, and following their usual custom, Remington offered higher quality versions of the new gun.
It was available in any gauge.
The last published manufacturers retail price in 2007 was $4,532.

Since it was a custom order-only gun, the details varied according to what the customer ordered.

Above the D-Grade Tournament model was the F-Grade Premier at $8,799, and the F-Grade Gold Premier at $11,999
Old January 26, 2013, 09:25 PM   #3
Savmarwin78

Wow! Has anybody actually seen a nice one sell? Im thinkin about selling this one but figured i should do some research first.
Old January 27, 2013, 07:51 AM   #4
Virginian

Need pictures and a detailed description of all factory lettering on the gun to say with ANY accuracy what is going on. It may be plated, or it could just as easily be one that someone polished the bluing off of. If it's fairly new it could have a version of that nickel filled Teflon or whatever Remington called it on the receiver, it was satin, as was the electroless nickel they put on the marine version. Since it says "Tournament" on it, it is likely a Trap model with B or C wood, just $10 more than a standard back in the day with better wood. I have never seen anything but blued until you get up to F grade, and I have never seen one of those with a plain receiver, but I haven't seen close to all of them. The apparent factory adjustable butt plate is interesting.