The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 14, 2012, 10:40 AM   #26
Kevin Rohrer

I kind of like to know how much I have invested in my hobby. Last month alone I spent $950 on equipment, buying a Giraud case trimmer, a Quick-Measure assembly for my Dillon, and some misc stuff for the Dillon. My reloading room is a museum to old but extremely high quality reloading equipment that gets used on a regular basis.

Remember: The one who dies with the most toys, wins.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old March 14, 2012, 10:48 AM   #27
carprivershooter

what inventory

What inventory, I don't keep and inventory, The last job I had in the Air Force was in inventory management, Base Supply. I did not like the job or the worry. Not a number puncher. I do keep my bench organized. I was taught by my father that everything has a place and to put it back in it's place when done. I do check on powder primers, and brass and bullets. I do keep a stock of powder as I am a 100 miles from the closest supplier. LGS does stock it and if ordered you still pay the fees.
Old March 14, 2012, 09:37 PM   #28
dickttx

Gad no. This is the first time in 52 years I haven't been doing tax returns this time of year. Do label my ammo boxes with load data. Do keep a spread sheet of my guns with photos imbedded.
Old March 14, 2012, 11:13 PM   #29
tdocz

Personally, I'm not anal about equipment inventory but I do keep all of my reloading equipment receipts, organized by date of purchase in a safe place. I gave up keeping a list. It's tedious enough just recording the vitals on my loads, which I have been meticulous about.

I also track how my different shooters, not my safe queens, perform (ammo they like, do the shoot 3" high or 6"left, etc. I only do this so I am reminded the next time I take it to the range (if I haven't had time to adjust the sight). I have a rotation of 10 to 15 shooters, ranging from the gammit from .32acp to 45acp in sa/da or dao, that I shoot regularly and they all vary in aim, trigger pull, etc.

Oh yeah, I keep my targets when I'm testing loads and also analyse Chronograph results. I just find the analysis interesting for its own sake. Unfortunately, the targets have been piling up and I probably should toss them in the waste bin.

It's probably not obvious that I'm a physicist...

Of course, like most of you, I also keep detailed records and photos of my firearms. It doesn't hurt to be prepared in case of a fire, natural disaster, etc.

Cheers!

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk
Old March 16, 2012, 12:46 AM   #30
chills1994

no, I don't, but that is a really good idea.

what I really, REALLY! need to do is take pics of my guns along with their serial numbers then upload each pic as an attachment to an email I send it back to myself.

that way if something bad happened, I could just forward the email onto the police and/or the insurance claims adjuster.
Old March 16, 2012, 05:57 AM   #31
flashhole

You can also post the information on another webpage like photobucket

Are you ready for civil war?
Old March 16, 2012, 06:10 AM   #32
Don P

Quote:
what I really, REALLY! need to do is take pics of my guns along with their serial numbers then upload each pic as an attachment to an email I send it back to myself.

that way if something bad happened, I could just forward the email onto the police and/or the insurance claims adjuster
Why go through all that work. Save the photos and info in a folder, make CD's(safety) and if ever needed just send the attachments.
We were told to take photos of all we own and once downloaded into the computer make CD's of all the photos so if the computer gets whacked or drowned to still have the info. All this from an insurance agent.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old March 16, 2012, 07:19 AM   #33
hounddawg

you mean there is a bench somewhere under all of those tools ?
Old March 16, 2012, 09:56 AM   #34
reloader28

I started adding up once how much I had invested my the reloading room.
I didnt even get to molds, lube/sizers, trimmers.
I didnt get to all the fancy "needed" little toys, I mean tools.
I didnt get to the 6 presses.
In fact, I didnt even get to the primers and bullets.
I started with powder and was WAY over $1000 in just the gun powder sitting on the shelf.
I decided to stop adding right there before the wife found out.
Old March 16, 2012, 10:17 AM   #35
carprivershooter

Wife knows

My wife is pretty smart, She knows I have "some" money wrapped up in my Man toys. She had a $17,000 sewing machine and a room full of cloth(sorry material). We agree we get paid (Savings), the bills are paid, what left in spend on the things we enjoy doing, I shoot and reload she sews. And we enjoy each other company
Old March 16, 2012, 10:44 AM   #36
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Yep Carprivershooter, I agree.

I'll even go you one more.

The "reloading room" is in our common room, ----- TV, stereo, sewing, reloading, nap'in in other words, where we spend a BIG part of our sit down time.

Married 50 years come Auguest, I don't mind, in fact enjoy spending time together in the, "reloading room".

CDOC