The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old June 27, 2011, 11:24 PM   #1
C0untZer0

Exhibition cancelled at McCormick due to flash mobs in Chicago?

I thought I read where someone posted a story here on that. I'm sorry my search-fu is weak, I can't find it.

Does anybody remember hearing about a trade show cancelling in Chicago and it rumored to be related to the flash mobbing?
Old June 28, 2011, 02:57 AM   #2
birdshot

flash mob?

showing my ignorance, but i was wondering what is flash mobbing. There are not enough people out here to make up a good mob.
Old June 28, 2011, 05:34 AM   #3
Davey

There's been a trend of "flash mobs" in Chicago lately.

Basically a large group of walking trash cans arrange a time and place ahead of time to "mob" and mug people/persons or rob a store.

Usually just a bunch of thugs with nothing better to do.
Old June 28, 2011, 07:44 AM   #4
Rifleman1776

They may have nothing better to do but they are still criminals. The latest flash mob behavior is when a large group of young thugs descend on a business all at once. They steal anything they can get their hands on and then quickly leave. There is too much happening at once for the owners or clerks to stop them and they scatter like flies making it difficult for police to catch many or any at all. Since they are usually juveniles it is risky for anyone, police or store owners, to even touch one, much less take them down forcibly.
This actually sounds like the thread on feral dogs. Not much different.
Old June 28, 2011, 08:50 AM   #5
Bartholomew Roberts

Originally, the idea behind a flash mob was more artistic. People would suddenly form up and start dancing like you had been dropped into some musical. Or they would act out a scene or something - just goofy fun. It was called a flash mob because it basically formed in a flash out of what looked like a normal crowd.

In the past two years, some people have been using the same organizing tools to get large numbers of people together for criminal activity. Looting merchants, assaulting people, destroying property, etc. So far all of the accounts I've read tend to happen in places with bad self defense laws.

I wish they would come up with a different term for the criminal version than "flash mob" though since it kind of confuses harmless behavior with criminal behavior.
Old June 28, 2011, 09:04 AM   #6
C0untZer0

The word "mob" in and of itself usually has a negative connotation.
Old June 28, 2011, 11:13 AM   #7
Patriot86

http://www.fox8.com/news/wjw-peace-p...ory?hpt=us_bn6

"Flash Mob's" not just in Chicago, its a nationwide thing. I seem to remember problems in Philly, Atlanta and DC not too long ago also.
Old June 28, 2011, 11:17 AM   #8
Glenn E. Meyer

I was in Boston and saw a flash zombie attack at the mall downtown. All kids dressed up. It was fun. Some matrons and tourists were all nervous.
Old June 28, 2011, 11:50 AM   #9
Scimmia

Yeah, it's only recently they've turned into something criminal. Flash mobs were always about fun. I guess it was only a matter of time.
Old June 28, 2011, 09:11 PM   #10
Standing Wolf
Member in memoriam

Quote:
This actually sounds like the thread on feral dogs. Not much different.
I herewith place Rifleman1776's comment in competition for the Comparison of the Week award.
Old June 28, 2011, 10:18 PM   #11
jtmckinney

A bunch of young people using technology to have some inocent fun is one thing, but organizing to commit criminal activity is another.

Wouldn't this fall under organized crime laws with the resulting sentences for the organizers and those participating? Maybe this is a reach, a question for the lawyers and procecuters.

Thanks!
James
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; When I am stronger than you, I take away your freedoms because that is according to my principles. Frank Herbert "Children of Dune"
Old June 28, 2011, 10:23 PM   #12
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Despite that last post, after conferring with Glenn, we see no real L&CR connection in this thread.

Closed as off topic.
Closed Thread