The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 12, 2008, 08:45 PM   #1
alfred

I need a Powder Chemist?

I think this forum will come the closes to having a answer that will help me.I am looking for something that will dissolve hardened Tallow that I have and then evaporate and let it harden again.It also needs to be something that will not harm smokeless powder.I have a large number of lead .22 rim fire bullets that have oxidized.I wish to lube them and use them for plinking.Lubes such as Lee Alox will deteriorate powder if used as directed.It will not once it is has hardened.I got this from Lee.Can anyone help me get the tallow suitable to dip the bullet in.Heat is not a option as it is unsafe.I do not want a soft lube if I can help it.This tallow works great for wads.

Thanks,alfred
Old May 12, 2008, 09:26 PM   #2
arcticap

It's been my experience that oxidized .22 bullets and hard, dry lube need to be cleaned off individually and relubricated by hand. Beeswax works well because it warms up at body temperature and will reharden. But other lubes will also work, even Alox I suppose. Another suggestion for a possible lube may be a product containing lanolin such as Saddle Soap.
The powder won't be affected by an external application and loaded rimfire ammunition really shouldn't be heated up. Just go slow and take as much time as necessary to complete the entire batch.
Here's another similar thread and my response:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...highlight=lube
Old May 12, 2008, 09:31 PM   #3
Lavid2002

half beeswax, half vassoline.
Old May 15, 2008, 11:36 PM   #4
alfred

Thanks.

I have been assured by Lee and ammunition manufactures that Alox and all products derived from petroleum will seep into and deteriorate powder.Alox is great once hardened.This is my quandary with many lubes.I have the tallow and it has been used for black powder lubes for centuries.Bees wax is great too,but hard to get and expensive as is Lanolin.I was hoping to be able to get the tallow to solidify on the bullets.alfred
Old May 15, 2008, 11:47 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

You want a bottle of Ronson/Zippo lighter fluid, aka naptha.

It will evaporate faster than it can seep into the cases.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.