The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 14, 2007, 10:03 AM   #26
kayakersteve

rb4browns - I agree with your thoughts exactly

I would not open door either
Old December 16, 2007, 08:31 PM   #27
Socrates

Whatever. Presence of the gun was good. 20 years ago in Santa Cruz all kinds of drug nuts, sane and insane, were wandering around. Girl could just have been crazy, on cocaine, that would explain the paranoia. In those times, we only had one guy wandering around killing lots of people. Turned Santa Cruz into the murder capital of the US for a year. There are a lot of psychotics wandering around, unfit for work, yet appearing somewhat normal. Government supports them.

Her comment about are you going to kill me? Supports the paranoid nut theory.

I had a similar experience in Barbados, without a gun, the badguys having machettes, and, all the employees being gone, with the front door open, and OUR room being searched. Ended up somehow calling the United States Embassy. They said, "Yes, you are in danger. We'll be right there."
And, a half hour later they arrived, packed us up, and moved us, no questions asked.

S

Last edited by Socrates; December 19, 2007 at 04:10 AM.
Old December 16, 2007, 09:59 PM   #28
TxPhantom

Quote;
I think you handled it well. Sounds like a definite setup. Strange that the police didn't come by to get a description and file an incident report of some kind. I wonder if the security officer really called them at all. It's quite possible that he was on the other side of the property because he was in on the scam.

It's also strange that the front desk assigned you to a isolated corner room in a near empty motel. Maybe the good folks at the front desk also had something to do with the scam and the fact that you couldn't dial out to 911.
USA OUT OF THE UN- LET THEM APPLAUDE THAT!
Old December 16, 2007, 10:10 PM   #29
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
It's also strange that the front desk assigned you to a isolated corner room in a near empty motel. Maybe the good folks at the front desk also had something to do with the scam and the fact that you couldn't dial out to 911.
Interesting and unsettling thought.
Old December 16, 2007, 11:57 PM   #30
samoand

Point 1. In all likelihood, your Glock saved you form a robbery or possibly worse. Enough was said of the reasons for this conclusion, no use in repeating them all. Let me just say that if there was a danger for the lady outside, she would've been in a hurry to shut the door, and she would have been glad you had a weapon, not otherwise.
Point 2. I actually give you props for opening the door even though it does demonstrate poor survival skills. Sometimes good men have to go against their own survival instinct for the benefit of others and for the benefit of their karma
Point 3. When I read you story, I also felt that this was a setup. Could you easily tell from the outside whether or not your room was occupied? where blinds up or down? where lights on or off? Too coincidental that she was knocking on your door in otherwise unoccupied motel. You may consider checking if there is a history of robberies at that motel - just continue being a good citizen that you've shown yourself to be.

[edited]As others said - checking whether or not a report was actually filed is another good idea.
Old December 17, 2007, 08:38 AM   #31
Double Naught Spy

Never open the door to strangers. You are supposed to start learning that at about 5 years of age. Never open the door to strangers at a motel. Never open the door to strangers at night. Most importantly, never open the door to strangers at a motel at night.
Old December 17, 2007, 09:04 AM   #32
p99guy

Since most folks wont open the door for the surly biker boyfriend with the buck knife...they send the girlfriend with a sob story to get folks to open the door(so to speak)...you probly would have had to shoot what was waiting around the corner for her signal word.(thats why she didnt close the door, even though the story was "somebody is after me") That Glock saved you and the wife from being on the wrong end of the stick that night.
Old December 18, 2007, 12:42 PM   #33
KS.45

BillCA & others - Duly noted. My fugetaboutit button doesn't seem to work well where something like this is concerned.

Only thing different now, is when I travel with a companion, she has a 9mm (G19) and is a better shot than me. I think the never open the door advice is appropriate for most people. The reason I posted here was to get some input regarding whether I may have scared her off. I realize now that's a ("Ya had to be there") sort of question. All these years later, I figure it's about 90 percent sure it was some kind of setup. My wife at the time thought so too. Now, I'm less likely to open the door, I think.

But that gal at the door did have acting skills. If I scared her off, it was because she WAS trouble I guess.

I checked the OKC news while I was there and nothing was mentioned that seemed related.
Old December 19, 2007, 04:21 AM   #34
Socrates

HMMMM.

I remember during a black out in 82, I went to the door of a restaurant I managed, and we were guarding. About Jan 1-3.
3 day blackout, late at night.
Knock on the door, after hearing local gunshots. I'm elected to answer. I go to the door. I have a 120 pound jet black rottweiller, attack trained off lead, on my right hip. All you can see in the officer's flashlight was fangs and eyes. Mainly fangs. NO leash. As I open the door, he's panting, checking things out, ready, and, on his own decision making powers. His owner would also have yelled attack in German if we'd been in real trouble.

I'm covered from one side with a selective fire AR-15 shorty, handled by a navy trained armourer, now working at Lockheed. On the other flank, another shorty AR this one not on selective fire, but semi-auto, ex-vietnam green beret on the trigger.
Officer could not see either person. I'm carrying my Seville in a holster, and hand on my Detonics Mark VI 451 Detonics level 45.

Conversation went something like:

"HI. We heard gun shots. Are you ok?"
Officer could not identify me, but, his focus was totally on the rotts white teeth.

"We are fine. Shots came from across Soquel Creek."
Officer could not identify me, but, his focus was totally on the rotts white teeth.

"Everything alright here?"

"We're fine. Have a great night."

That dog would have ripped his throat out if he'd made the wrong move, and, at the same time, he thought he was a 120 pound lapdog, one of the most loving, kind animals I'd ever met. I think the scariest part was the rott didn't make a sound, just stood there, at alert, ready and waiting...
THAT'S HOW TO OPEN A DOOR, LATE AT NIGHT.