The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 5, 2006, 08:10 PM   #1
thefeck

Reloading 380 Auto

Just reloaded my first box of 380 Auto. Loaded 95 Gr. FMJ with 3.5 Gr. Hodgdon Universal Powder and CCI 500 Small Pistol Primers. Using a KelTec P3-AT I fired 25 anemic rounds before quitting. Each round sounded like a 22 LR round and there was practically no recoil during the firing. All but 5 rounds FTE.

This is Hodgdon's recommended loading for this round. Can't imagine why. Went on to fire 20 rounds of Corbon, and 50 rounds of Winchester FMJ. All seventy rounds performed flawlessly.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why the recommended load was so anemic? Does anyone have any other recommended loads for the 380 Auto using Universal? I have a 5 lb jug of it and would like to use it up.
Old June 5, 2006, 10:19 PM   #2
gb_in_ga

From what I have come to understand, 3.5 gr of Universal behind a 95 gr FMJ should be a good load, near max pressure, giving you somewhere around 900 fps from "normal" length barrels, somewhat less from the KelTec.

Are you sure your powder and/or primers aren't bad? Have you tried the powder and primers with other cartridges? Since you say that you have 5 lbs of the powder that you want to use up, I gather than it has been around for a while, it may have become compromised.
Old June 5, 2006, 10:56 PM   #3
silicon wolverine

You might have to use magnum primers to light the powder better. I found when using universal in my 9mm luger loads i had to use a magnum primer or i got the same symtoms you have. Went to mags and have had 0 problems since.

SW
Old June 6, 2006, 06:57 AM   #4
thefeck

thanks on the 380 auto loads

First, I apologize for posting to the wrong forum. I didn't realize there was a separate forum for reloading. Thanks to the two who responded. I will pick up some mag primers today and do it all over again.
Old June 6, 2006, 09:05 AM   #5
gb_in_ga

Wolverine: That's odd -- I use Universal sometimes in 9mm as well, and the standard Winchester WSP primers that I usually use seem to work just fine. But, I've found that lighter loads of Universal don't seem to ignite all that well (considerable unburned powder, but still adequate performance) when loading .38 Spl on the light side, but will work just fine when loading .38 Spl +P loads, even with "normal" small pistol primers. I usually don't use magnum primers unless I'm loading .357 Mag (the only magnum revolver round I load for) with even slower powders.

Thefeck: I'd advise backing off of the load some if you are going to use mag primers!
Old June 7, 2006, 08:01 AM   #6
Marlin.357

As previously posted that's the maximum recommended load of universal. Standard primer should work.

I don't use Universal, but suspect something's wrong here. No offense, I don't know your level of experience, but maybe your scale is out of calibration? Or did you actually weigh the charges, or did you depend on the powder measure to dispense the right amount based on volume?

If you were getting the right charge then call Hodgdon and explain the problem, maybe there is a bad lot of powder out there.
Old June 7, 2006, 09:07 AM   #7
357shooter

I have also had the same problem with universal in 45. auto loadings .I loaded a 230 gr.lrn under the max gr. of universal according to the hodgdon manual and they were really under powered,and had several stovepipes,jams,fte,etc.Yet in the 44.it performed flawless.Like others said ,I had lots of unburnt powder from the 45.auto loads.I load my 45.acp with tightgroup now and have not had a problem since.
Old June 7, 2006, 10:27 AM   #8
Leftoverdj

Universal ain't been around long enough to deteriorate under anything close to normal conditions.
Old June 7, 2006, 07:53 PM   #9
silicon wolverine

Ive gone to blue dot in my 9mm loads. I think universal maybe just isnt a good idea in this combination?

SW
Old June 13, 2006, 10:56 AM   #10
Wrangler5

Commercial 380 loads go out of my P3AT at 800-875fps. Hodgdon recommends 3.6g of Universal as the maximum load with a 90g bullet, and that load gave me 645fps. It did cycle the action though, as did other Universal loads as low as 3.2g (535fps.) I use Winchester standard (WSP) primers.

It's interesting that Speer recommends 3.8g as the starting load of Universal for their 90g bullet, and predicts 821fps using a Walther PP, which has an extra inch or so of barrel.

My goal was to load 380 up to commercial round levels. I decided I couldn't do it with Universal (not wanting to go beyond Hodgdon's recommended max). Using Accurate #2 or #5 I could get the velocities, but ended up with bulged cases which I didn't like (commercial cases aren't bulged out of my gun.) I finally ended up using 6.7g of Accurate #7, and got velocities that matched commercial loads without bulged cases (90g Speer Gold Dot bullets matching Speer's commercial load, and 95g Magtech FMJ bullets matching Remington's commercial FMJ load.)
Old June 14, 2006, 06:17 AM   #11
jAK-47

Thanks

JUST started reloading this week and picked up a set of .380 dies. This thread was very helpful!

jAK-47
Old June 19, 2006, 08:24 PM   #12
Dave R

FWIW, the load I use in my P-3AT is 4.0gr. of Unique under a 95 gr. bullet. Function has been perfect for several hundred rounds. Mid-level load from Speer No. 13.

I would try that 3.8gr. STARTING load from Speer No 13.
Old June 20, 2006, 10:34 AM   #13
VonFatman

For you folks getting going with .380 Auto---

Here's my current .380 Auto "recipe"...

95gr. Rainier RN (plated bullet)
3 gr. Win-231
Win Primer
Mixed Brass
OAL: .974
FPS: 830

Shoots great...very accurate and fun to shoot in: CZ-83, Kel-Tec P3-AT, Walther PPKS and Llama.

Bob