The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 26, 2013, 04:12 AM   #26
oldandslow

lew, 6/26/13

I've got a number of used but like-new condition 3rd gen SW's including a 6906/6904. It's one of the best double stack compact 9mm pistols ever made and deserves to be carried and shot. And the more wear-marks it gets the better I feel about using it as it was designed. Just get a nice leather holster so it's not riding in plastic rig all day. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow
Old June 26, 2013, 09:02 AM   #27
LewSchiller

Indeed.
I guess the best way to look at it is that I've just been offered the ability to go back in time and buy a new 6906
Old June 27, 2013, 02:20 PM   #28
Bart Noir

Mine looks just like that which armsmaster posted. Except that mine has "State Fire Marshal" stamped into the frame. Wish I knew which state that was.....

I would prefer the Novak rear sight, but I like the squared-off trigger guards. I have several S&Ws with that shape. It looks better IMHO and certainly you can get a gloved finger onto the trigger better than with the rounded (and smaller) trigger guard.

After all, many live where it gets cold in the winter. Which makes me wonder, what happens to those zombies in the winter? I don't think they can be considered to be warm-blooded any more.

Bart Noir
Old August 22, 2013, 01:55 PM   #29
Kevin_d77

So I finally got to see his. It's squared trigger guard without the Novak sights. 2 mags. Field stripped it and its in really good shape. No slide damage and barrel has very little smiling on it. He wants $360
Old August 22, 2013, 02:54 PM   #30
Wreck-n-Crew

Congrats! Can't wait to see those pics.

Hope your camera works better than mine does currently (took a fall), blurray and all.

I love the metal frames with features like a safety, a hammer and a de-cocker.

Enjoy, I know I would.
Old August 22, 2013, 03:46 PM   #31
Kevin_d77

Gonna have to hold off for a bit I think. The milsurp bug has gotten me on trouble lately. Told him to hold it and if he finds someone else to offer me first. He is in no rush. Is that a fair price?
Old August 23, 2013, 01:23 AM   #32
leadcounsel

The 3 digit and 4 digit S&Ws are simply awesome guns. $360 is a 'buy it now' price if it's in 90% or better shape. I wouldn't wait if you have any extra cash.

I got bit by the bug 2 years ago, and have bought quite a few varieties from low $300s to mid $400s. These guns were $700 or so when they came out, which is like $1000 or more in today's money!
Old August 23, 2013, 06:25 AM   #33
MR.G

I wouldn't have a problem paying $500.00 for a like new 6906. I think they are better guns than what they are currently making and selling for more.
Old August 23, 2013, 08:48 AM   #34
Bullcamp82834

Just my opinion here. The 6906 is a POS.

I had one go full auto on me back in the 80s after a few mags of hot handloads. S&W service center in my area fixed it but gave me a warning that this weapon was NOT meant for max loads.

Also the trigger pull was atrocious. I don't own it anymore.
Old August 23, 2013, 07:16 PM   #35
Bart Noir

Bull, I respectfully disagree. I feel the DA trigger is right up there with Beretta and SIG. Yeah, the let-off on the SA pull is not as crisp as some, but still perfectly acceptable to me.

I don't know how hot your handloads were. You could have been waaaay into +P+ territory and thus wrecking the gun and then blaming the gun.

Anyway, a burst when you expect a single shot would be exciting!

Bart Noir
Old August 23, 2013, 07:34 PM   #36
dgludwig

Quote:
Anyway, a burst when you expect a single shot would be exciting!
An exciting event that can occur with virtually any semi-auto pistol, especially one that has a sear out of spec or has otherwise been compromised in terms of excessive wear or Bubba-style "tuning". Smith & Wesson semi-autos aren't anymore prone to going "full-auto" than other similar pistols.
Old August 23, 2013, 07:44 PM   #37
Kevin_d77

dgludwig
Quote:" Smith & Wesson semi-autos aren't anymore prone to going "full-auto" than other similar pistols."

Man.....that could ave been a great selling point!
Old August 23, 2013, 07:48 PM   #38
dgludwig

Might be a better selling point for some if they did routinely go "full-auto"...
Old August 26, 2013, 02:25 PM   #39
Bart Noir

Interesting advertizing slogans (for any guns) would be a whole other thread.

"Very seldom explodes!"

"Doesn't rust in Arizona!"

Bart Noir
Old August 26, 2013, 06:05 PM   #40
wpsdlrg

Too bad. I just sold off a 6906 a couple of weeks ago. It was in great shape (almost no external wear and felt almost like a new gun). The only negative was that it had a "CAI" import stamp on it, which kills the collector value. I got rid of it for just about what I put into it - just over $300. (I bought it as a shooter, not a collector gun.) Oh well.
Old August 27, 2013, 01:25 PM   #41
Bart Noir

There were some of the blued ones (6904) imported by Magnum Research about 6-8 years back. MR was kind enough to confirm to me that these were surplus from some Israeli police agency. The importation marks were on the underside of the dust cover area of the frame.

Bart Noir
Old September 1, 2014, 04:39 PM   #42
handlebar

here is my 6906. It has a 1995 manufacture date verified from S&W. Belonged to a sheriff's dept. in Ohio. Tight as a drum, very little exterior wear and came with 2 mags (just bought a third LE mag). I gave the slide a little polish job.