The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 11, 2008, 02:22 PM   #1
Norman

Leupold Quick Release Split Mount

I have a Remington 700 Varmit Rifle and Leupold Quick Release Split Base but I forgot if the short screws go in the front or rear base. I want to install the scope on the rifle today. Can anyone out there help me with this? Thank You Norman
Old October 17, 2008, 07:39 PM   #2
Harry Bonar

screws

Sir;
Your screw length won't matter as long as they don't "bottom out" before tightening the base or is you have at least four or more threads in the hole.
Technically four full threads will hold the strength of the screw size (?).
A 75% thread fit will hold 90% of a 100% thread fit will (all normal taping and fit is within the 75% fit range). 100% thread fits are hard to achieve with standard taps and dies. Gun threads are usually either national fine, or national special.
Always, when you're drilling and taping use a small drill and ream with your "tap" drill. Never, never when drilling and taping for 6X48 just drill with a No. 31 drill! Never, when drilling for an 8X40 screw drill with a 28 drill first - always use a smaller drill and ream with your tap drill.
Harry B.

Last edited by Harry Bonar; October 17, 2008 at 07:42 PM. Reason: spelling