The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 16, 2008, 06:41 PM   #1
Inspector3711

Remington 700 LVSF .223 upgrades

I'm currently waiting for my Rifle Basics trigger group to arrive. I don't anticipate any issues with this retrofit but I am wondering how difficult it is to replace the firing pin and spring.

I would like to reduce locktime and the stock firing pin is leaving a raised area in the center of the dent that the pin makes in the primer. I've examined the pin and it has a small pit in the tip that I believe was there when it was new. I bought this rifle used from my dad and although it's 4 years old, he never fired it.

I see there are tools you can order to help the take down process for the bolt assy. Are these tools absolutely necessary?

I have a Rem 700 VSSF that I also bought from him recently that he bought last year. He had a Rifle Basics trigger, muzzle brake, and firing pin spring (to reduce lock time) installed immediately after the purchase. It's a sweet shooting setup and I would like the .223 to have a similiar feel with a touch more pull weight on the trigger since it's a walking rifle.
Old October 17, 2008, 11:58 AM   #2
Alleykat

You can buy a tool from Brownell's for removing the cross pin and firing pin spring.