The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 24, 2012, 01:29 AM   #1
sigcurious

Brass falls infront of the line, what to do?

I shoot indoors, and around 50% of my brass bounces infront of the firing line. Short of getting a brass catcher of some sort, any ideas on retrieval that doesn't involve sweeping the brass back towards me, and consequently the lead dust etc also? So far there's usually enough people shooting 9mm and .45 that have no interest in their brass, so I've made up the difference that way. But I'd like to expand my brass scrounging tricks, so what are your tricks for indoor ranges?
Old January 24, 2012, 02:32 AM   #2
Sport45

Leaf rake?
Old January 24, 2012, 06:52 AM   #3
CowTowner

I'd ask the RSO or Manager how they would like it done. You're at their range and they make the rules.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old January 24, 2012, 07:47 AM   #4
Sevens

Realistically... shooting semi-auto at an indoor range is the specific brass-losing playbook. There aren't any really good methods for stopping your loss of brass.

I shoot on indoor ranges a few times a year for short sessions, and one or two times a year on L-O-N-G sessions. My method to reduce my hit to the brass supply is three-fold:

1) Shoot only 9mm, since I have tons and tons of 9mm brass
2) Shoot revolvers, where I don't lose any pieces
3) Shoot rimfire, where I don't lose any reloadable brass
Old January 24, 2012, 09:30 AM   #5
armoredman

The indoor range I worked at years ago had a series of rakes in the range area so reloaders could try to recover some brass without going forward of the line. If the brass was sufficiently rare enough they could have asked for a short cease fire when they were done to try to recover them all, but I never saw that happen. Besides, we always had a 55 gallon drum full of range brass sitting there for anyone who wanted some. I used to give bags to people who didn't bring any...I didn't reload then, wish I'd scarfed some for myself.

Sevens, can you send me a 1/2 ton of 9mm brass? I am actually starting to get a wee bit low...
Old January 24, 2012, 09:32 AM   #6
MOshooter65202

You might laugh but this works pretty good LOL

http://www.toolup.com/images/Product...bila-80015.jpg
Old January 24, 2012, 09:35 AM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I'm curious... Why NOT get a brass catcher of some sort? I would consider it to be a basic requirement if I used an indoor range.
Old January 24, 2012, 09:52 AM   #8
serf 'rett

Somebody send him the link for one of those brass collectors that look like a nut roller. Not around a computer; therefore, I'm limited in finding a link.

Last edited by serf 'rett; January 24, 2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old January 24, 2012, 10:42 AM   #9
serf 'rett

Is this what you're looking for? (The high dollar solution)

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con.../41/Brass_Wand

Or perhaps one of these? (For the economy minded.)

http://www.activelivingnow.com/Reach...show=10&page=1

or

http://arcmate.com/grabbersandreache...FeQEQAodo2vk5g

As for me - I'd use the broom. A light touch shouldn't stir up that much dust.

When I'm testing reloads, I catch the brass for inspection in a mesh laundry bag I got for a few bucks at Walmart. Set a camera tripod on the table, a couple of clamps mount the stick on the tripod, other clapms mount the bag on the stick and then position the bag over the sandbags to catch the brass. It works so well, that I have not tried to build a brass catcher with the $2.00 nylon curtain I got at Wally World.

Last edited by serf 'rett; January 24, 2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old January 24, 2012, 10:58 AM   #10
Wuchak

If the concern is the dust why not just put on a dust mask when sweeping the cases back? It's the cheapest solution.
Old January 24, 2012, 10:59 AM   #11
overkill0084

This range doesn't have any brooms? The range I use has those floor squeegee things for pushing brass around.

I have one of these in my bag whenever I shoot my semi-autos.:
http://www.amazon.com/Graco-Models-P...7420392&sr=8-1

Once you get it tweeked into the right configuration, it works pretty well. It's about 80% effective and the one it doesn't catch generally drop at my feet. It is overpriced, though. You could probably make something similar from an aquarium net for a lot less.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old January 24, 2012, 11:50 AM   #12
sigcurious

@overkill/peetza, how does that brass catcher affect grip? My primary concern with something like that, is that I'm still relatively new to pistol shooting and am wary of something that would alter my grip.

@Wuchak/Serf yeah sometimes I overlook the obvious

That nutroller type thing is probably dangerous for the addiction. "Oh look at all these other caliber cartridges I picked up, gee I guess I'll have to get guns that match them"
Old January 24, 2012, 12:37 PM   #13
Unclenick
Staff

The Ohio State indoor range has Nylon screens attached to dowel rods that unroll like a scroll and hang down between firing points to stop ejecting brass from hitting the shooter on the next firing point. You could hang such a thing parallel to the target just to the right of your muzzle, so cases eject into to it and bounce off. If you dangle the bottom of the screen into an open cardboard box, most of your brass should fall in there.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 24, 2012, 01:00 PM   #14
overkill0084

Other than looking a bit silly, it doesn't really have much of an impact. It doesn't weigh much and the part that goes between your hand and the grip is just a strip of elastic. If "feels" a bit odd at first, but I don't find myself changing my grip to accommodate it. It's easy to bend to conform to your needs and grip.
If anything, it may help because it forces me to grip the gun the same way each time once I've got it bent/tweeked to work with a particular gun.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old January 24, 2012, 01:08 PM   #15
mikld

When I was shooting at indoor ranges, I swept before I started shooting to make sure all the brass around me was mine. All the ranges had brooms. In front of the line I pushed all the debris forward so I would sweep back just brass later when I was done. But, I rarely left with 100% of my brass, usually lost some...
Old January 24, 2012, 01:11 PM   #16
Sevens

Most of the indoor ranges I shoot at frown GREATLY at anyone trying to retrieve ANYTHING from forward of the line.

They always cite safety, but it's much more likely the business of re-selling brass.
Old January 24, 2012, 01:17 PM   #17
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

The brass catchers I've used wouldn't affect your grip at all because you don't attach them to your hand...

I'd build one out of 1/2" PVC pipe and a piece of canvas. That's what we used to have at the indoor range I belonged to. Just set it up so it catches most of the brass and what it misses is deflected back instead of forward.
Old January 24, 2012, 09:04 PM   #18
CowTowner

Here ya go. Take a look at these:
http://www.bubca.com/
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old January 25, 2012, 01:28 AM   #19
ragwd

The indoor range I shoot at , frown at sweeping anything in front of the line. I take a half step back move over to the far left of stall and that has me aiming back towards the center and gives me a few degrees of angle back to the rear of stall and my brass a better chance of hitting right side of stall and me a better chance of retrieving. I usually leave with 90%of what I brought.
Old January 25, 2012, 06:20 AM   #20
Marco Califo

Fetch 'em up!

Moving Targets are way more fun!!
Old January 25, 2012, 10:31 AM   #21
FlyFish

The company that makes the hand-held catcher also has a free-standing one (for a few more bucks) that I think is a much better and more versatile design, particularly if you already have a cheap tripod to mount it on:

http://www.gracomodels.com/bigcatcher.html
Old January 25, 2012, 09:33 PM   #22
sigcurious

I think I may need to head to my local home improvement store and rig something up like some of those standing models. Those have definitely caught my eye, but spending $50 on a glorified net seems a little silly when the raw materials cost much less.
Old January 26, 2012, 01:07 PM   #23
Sky Master

I've had that problem too, until I started standing back a little farther.
Old January 27, 2012, 11:55 AM   #24
AFK

If I go to an indoor range I do a few things.

1) Shoot my revolver and .22 more
2) Stand back and left a little bit
3) Bring brass that has been reloaded more or brass that was a prior range pick-up.
4) If someone else is there, I ask them if they are saving their brass. If so, I don't touch it. If not, I ask if it is ok for me to sweep it in to my pile.

Using these methods, I usually don't end up leaving with much less brass than I showed up with, and it is usually brass that I found at a range at one point any way.
Old January 27, 2012, 12:23 PM   #25
JWT

Range I frequent also has brooms that can be used to sweep the brass back of the line for pick up.