The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 6, 2012, 08:19 PM   #1
BoogieMan

Stag lower

I havent bought into an AR yet but I am ready. I want to build my own (im a machinist/engineer by trade) so I have been hunting around a bit. My LGS has Stag lowers for $135. First off is the quality of Stag up to par? Second is that a fair price for a empty lower?
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old October 6, 2012, 09:10 PM   #2
Creeper

It's a well machined and finished lower with a very good track record. You can get lesser known lowers for less and fancier lowers for more.
Will you get something "better" for $135? Unless you're looking for special features, no, not really.
The LGS price is OK... it could be about $15~$20 less, but your local econ is what it is.

C
Old October 7, 2012, 12:47 AM   #3
HKFan9

Stag's parent company CMT makes lowers for many other brands including Colt and Noveske.. I have used a lot of their lowers all from different roll marks with no issues what so ever... probably one of the best makes out there. However... $135 for a Stag seems high.. I usually see / get em for about $100 to $115.
Old October 7, 2012, 06:22 AM   #4
BoogieMan

Thanks for the info guys. I think Im going to pick up the Stag lower later today. Im not an AR fan but I just cant deny its versatility at the range. 3-gun to 600yds. I just didnt want to dump a G on the same gun everyone else has. I have to decide on an upper and trigger group now. The only thing I have decided on is the stock lightweight padded tube. It will be a flat top with a scope in the 24x range and a red dot on the side. Sight the scope at 300 and the red dot at 25.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old October 7, 2012, 04:00 PM   #5
Technosavant

$135 for a stripped lower is high, but then again, that's sitting there in your gun store ready to go, and that makes it more reasonable.

Usually I note that the "big name" lowers (lower receivers made by companies known for their complete guns) tend to go for more than those who don't make guns. A Rock River, Stag, S&W, or other branded lower will usually cost more than an Aero Precision, Superior Arms, Spike's, or other "lesser" branded lower... even though they're often made by the same companies (Aero Precision makes them for many other companies).

Generally, $80 is more a target price for a lower, but then you have to factor in shipping and transfer fees... getting the price up closer to the $135 price tag in your local shop.

$135 for a Stag lower without further fees, that's a reasonable deal. If you want to build your own rifle it will be a good way to start.
Old October 8, 2012, 12:40 AM   #6
CLC

My BCM 16 carbine upper paired with my stag lower is perfect fit. Started my build with a stripped lower for around the same price. Also used a stag lower parts kit in. After looking around ill probably buy another lower.
Old October 8, 2012, 11:02 AM   #7
BoogieMan

I want to get started on this thing. Who knows if they will be available in another year.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown