The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 28, 2009, 06:43 AM   #1
SEHunter

Electronic Call for Coyote

Just wanting to see what you preadator hunters prefer in an electronic call. Just dont have the money for a Foxpro right now, so i was planning to look into the "Power Dogg" by Primos. It has mixed reviews so, idk.
Old December 28, 2009, 06:59 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I've used a small boom-box with a wounded rabbit tape. A remote speaker is better, I think, although I have just set the thing on the hood of my truck. Any el-cheapo will do, as long as the speaker(s) is halfway decent.
Old December 28, 2009, 11:05 AM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

You could go this route if you want to save a buck and/or do the hands on thing...
http://www.boartuffoutdoors.com/cgi-...3155410;start=

I didn't make it but I sure wouldn't buy a unit after keeping up with these guys results.
Brent
Old December 28, 2009, 05:29 PM   #4
SEHunter

Thats a neat little trick there in that web address you gave. I found a call i didnt know about from foxpro..its new so thats probably why. Its called the spitfire and it is $200 where the others are $400 and up for the most part. Im new to predator hunting (outside of shooting coyotes when i see one in the stand) so i want a good remote caller because with no experience, i thought i may get busted if i started off with a mouth call. The idea of setting up the sounds they hear down wind of me makes me feel they wouldnt even know i was 50 yards away. There are statements of the power dogg that claim there are bad remote issues and the volume has been said to not be quite loud enough. Anybody know about the Spitfire by Foxpro?
Old December 29, 2009, 04:56 AM   #5
10-96

While it's not wireless- I'm impressed with my Phantom. That little sucker is durable! It seems I left it on top of the cab of my truck and let it take a dump on blacktop at 50+ mph. The thing is a little scuffed- but it still works like new.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old December 29, 2009, 08:08 AM   #6
4406v

Look around at the gun shows in your area I bought a Johnny Walker electronic caller with 6 cassette tapes for $50 I looked at my local sporting goods store and they were selling off the cassette tapes for $5 so I bought 4 more I didn't have.I have less than $75 in the whole set up and can hunt coyotes, fox and crows with it.Now all I "need" is a good varmit gun!!!
Old January 4, 2010, 10:16 AM   #7
Hunter Customs

I have an older Johnny Stewart that works real well, I still use it some.
That being said if I'm going to be walking a long distance, making a lot of different hides I like to travel as light as possible, that's when the mouth blown calls are nice.
Get several different mouth blown calls with different tones, practice with them some and I'll bet you will be surprised how effective they can be.
I've found what works best for me is to blow a short sequence wait five minutes then repeat this several times. If I have not seen a coyote in thirty minutes of calling it's time to move and make another hide.
Most of the coyotes I've shot responded to the call in the first 15 minutes.
Good luck with your calling, once it starts working for you it will get in your blood.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old January 4, 2010, 12:30 PM   #8
Scorch

I still use my old Outers calls, they work pretty good but new ones cost $50! I was at Cabela's last week (along with everybody else) and saw the new Johnny Stewart Attractor calls. Pretty cool! Remote works up to 50 yds, comes with several sound cards, and the best part is it only costs $40! Should be a winner for anyone just starting out.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...233&hasJS=true
Old January 4, 2010, 04:42 PM   #9
SEHunter

Well, despite mixed reviews, i got the primos power dogg. I had the remote Johnny Stewart in my hands but gambled on the power dogg because it was on sale at Bass Pro Shops for $140. We'll see i guess. Once i get more experience under my belt, i want to try using mouth calls for sure as one said, they are a more mobile method.
Old January 7, 2010, 08:33 AM   #10
4406v

Yes mine is a Johnny Stewart not Johnny Walker???? Don't know how I came up with that one I'm not much of a drinker
Old January 7, 2010, 12:13 PM   #11
Hunter Customs

4406v
I'm not a drinker but I bet if I drank enough Johnny Walker (would not take much) I would start howling like a coyote.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old January 7, 2010, 11:00 PM   #12
stantonizm

I had an older model iPod I loaded up with calls. Even made playlists with 10 minute of silence or so before the calling sequence starts so I have time to setup. Radio-shack sells a little portable amplifier with a speaker for 30$ or so. It a little boxy thing about 4" and runs off a 9volt. You can then get one of the megaphone looking speakers and run it from that setup. I find the little amp is plenty loud though by itself and somtimes dont take it.
Old January 8, 2010, 08:51 AM   #13
NVpirate

If your interested, I have an older Johnny Stewert e caller with cassettes I will let you have for just the cost of mailing.

Shoot me a PM if ya want it
Old January 8, 2010, 10:39 AM   #14
cheff

I have been using the Primos powerdog with good results. My remote failed and Primos mailed me a replacement with no questions asked. I still use it as a supplement to hand calls though.
Old January 8, 2010, 04:58 PM   #15
SEHunter

NVpirate, thanks i'll keep that in mind. Gonna give the power dogg a shot for now i suppose. Hopefully mine will be one that has few or no issues.

Cheff, with your power dogg, do you have better results using the coyote sounds (howl,siren,invite,etc.) or the distress sounds?
Old January 8, 2010, 05:37 PM   #16
cheff

I have the best luck with the distress. The woodpecker works great in Hollenbeck canyon. Since there is lots of pressure there, they are smart to the other sounds including howl. They never howl back with a hand call or the powerdog. But once I started calling the area with a constant woodpecker distress they came out of hiding.

Jackrabbit sounds good as well, the cottontail is horrible
Old January 8, 2010, 07:46 PM   #17
whitefish

Used my buddies Foxpro and it worked well. Had problems with the remote, but I think the battery was dieing.

Can't shell out the dollars for one of my own - I gonna try the boombox/mp3 route. Downloaded the calls from Varmiant Al's website.

Last edited by whitefish; January 8, 2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old January 9, 2010, 10:16 AM   #18
SEHunter

I live in Georgia and woodpeckers are here but are not too common. One of the rabbit calls may fit this area more. I still have the fawn distress but it sounds like a screaming toddler, lol.