The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old August 16, 2014, 10:52 PM   #26
Slamfire

That is just amazing, modern semi autos are holding up much better than any expectation I had. Thanks for the report, the pictures, when you hit 100K rounds, let us know what it looks like at that milestone.
Old August 17, 2014, 06:12 PM   #27
AK103K

Will do. At this rate, it'll be in about two years.
Old August 17, 2014, 08:15 PM   #28
Darker Loaf

It's really cool to see somebody actually shoot their gun that much. I don't have many guns, but I like to shoot them A LOT if possible.
Old August 17, 2014, 08:36 PM   #29
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Not a fan of Glocks, but you won't ever hear me say they can't take a beating.

I'm willing to bet you'll hit the 100k mark and it will still be serviceable. The items you had to replace are normal wear parts anyway.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old August 17, 2014, 09:12 PM   #30
AK103K

The RSA's are sort of basic mainenence, and certainly cheap enough ($7) to over do.

As far as the extractors, Im still wondering if the original extractor was really the culprit when I was starting to get stovepipes, extraction, and BTF problems. This was during the onslaught of reports of brass to the head, and the various extractor problems people were reporting, and I let myself get caught up in it, and figured maybe that was the issue.

I wish now Id kept better track of what went on when. The extractor was fine when the gun was new, and it ran fine for a long while, and when I had issues, they came on quickly.

The one thing I dont do, and maybe I should, is keep track of my pistol reloads life span. I do with my rifles, but they have a shorter life and results of failure tend to be different. I usually shoot my pistol brass to failure, and that usually starts showing up, with split necks in the reloading phase, and of all things, extraction issues, as the rims get torn up over time, in the shooting stage. These days, Im cycling through around 7000 rounds of brass/reloads, but initially, it was about 3000, and the brass was being reloaded a lot more.

When I started to realize that maybe the brass was the issue, and not the extractors, and switched back to the second extractor from the third, as a test, it seems to have proved that out. Im still running the second right now. If I still had the first, Id have tried it.

One other thing extractor related, they do get real dirty over time, and do get stiff, or seem to lack movement when they do. A couple of blasts of Gun Scrubber when you clean seems to address that, and its pretty amazing how much crud you get out of the slide when you tear it down a couple of times a year.
Old August 19, 2014, 03:30 PM   #31
Peter M. Eick

Nice report. You have me beat by a long shot. My high round count is 47,320 in my Colt Diamondback and it has taken me since 1978 to get that many rounds through it.
Old August 19, 2014, 04:38 PM   #32
Skans

Quote:
when you hit 100K rounds, let us know what it looks like at that milestone

At 100K rounds, the Mods should make it a stickey thread so that you can update us on every 10K rounds after that. Heck, they could do this now!
Old August 19, 2014, 04:44 PM   #33
AK103K

The way its been going, it would be a pretty boring thread.

If something goes or changes, Ill let you know.
Old August 19, 2014, 06:48 PM   #34
sigpro2340

Awesome milestone, and a marvelous durability report for the Glock ...

Amazing, to say the least.
Old August 19, 2014, 06:53 PM   #35
LockedBreech

Very cool post, I love original content like this. Also extremely impressive. My PX4 is at 6,000 or so, which I consider a high mark that makes me trust the pistol entirely. That's a drop in the bucket compared to 70k.

I'm very curious when the breaking point will come. I know other high round count tests exist, but only a handful make it up into this neighborhood. If you can afford it, keep blasting away and updating us
Old August 20, 2014, 03:11 PM   #36
ThomasT

I have a handgun annual with an article by Chuck Taylor (IIRC) and he said he had over 175,000 rounds through a Glock 17 with no parts breakage and it still shot 2-3" groups at 25 yards. I beleive I still have the magazine in my attic and I will dig it out next time I am up there and verify those numbers. But I am sure I am correct.

Since he is a gun writer I am guessing he gets lots of free ammo. Even back then at $10 a box for 9mm that would be 3500 boxes at a cost of $35,000 bucks. Thats a lot of money sent into the dirt. Even $6 a box works out to $21,000.
Old August 21, 2014, 09:44 PM   #37
Hunter0924

Glock says their receivers are good for 65,000 rounds, I reckon that is a conservative estimate.
Old August 22, 2014, 12:33 AM   #38
xssv

I take back some things I said about them. That's several lifetimes outta some guns. Maybe they're worth it.
Old August 22, 2014, 08:19 AM   #39
AK103K

Quote:
Glock says their receivers are good for 65,000 rounds....
Maybe stippling has some unknown advantages here.

Quote:
That's several lifetimes outta some guns.
I still think that guns of most major makers will do the same.

Even the lesser thought of guns seem to do well, if you maintain them, and feed them the right ammo. I had a SWD M11/9mm SMG that didnt last long when fed hot SMG ammo early on in its life (sheared off a cocking knob, and the upper cracked/failed), just under 2000 rounds to be exact, yet when fired with ammo it was designed for, ran fine (with a new upper) for another 25+ years after, and other than replacing buffers (normal maintenance), without incident. While I dont have an accurate account, Im pretty sure double plus the Glocks count would be a reasonable, and actually a low ball "guess", as ammo was a lot cheaper then, and we shot it a lot, and regularly.
Old September 26, 2015, 02:47 PM   #40
AK103K

Quick update and first breakage. 88,900 rounds as of today, and just noticed the trigger spring was broken while reassembling after cleaning. So far, this is the only thing Ive had "break" on the gun.

Interestingly enough, the trigger will reset, if you keep your finger on it, like you would while shooting. It just wont reset by itself. When the trigger wont reset, if you press it rearwards, like holding for reset while shooting, it will reset when the slide goes forward.

Im going to have to try this before I replace the spring, and see if it works when actually shooting. Might be something to keep in mind, if it were to happen at a bad time.
Old September 26, 2015, 02:57 PM   #41
Whirlwind06

So what gen is that? It looks like a 17?
Old September 26, 2015, 03:02 PM   #42
AK103K

Its a Gen 3 17.
Old September 26, 2015, 04:54 PM   #43
SpareMag

Any plans on refurbishing anything?

Does Glock OFFER a refurb like Sig?
Old September 26, 2015, 05:38 PM   #44
AK103K

I ordered a couple of trigger springs today. Im just going to replace it and keep on shooting it.

Having gone this far, Im curious to see how far it goes.

Ive heard if you send it in, they will go over it and replace what they feel is needed, and supposedly, free of charge.
Old September 26, 2015, 06:43 PM   #45
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Interestingly enough, the trigger will reset, if you keep your finger on it, like you would while shooting. It just wont reset by itself. When the trigger wont reset, if you press it rearwards, like holding for reset while shooting, it will reset when the slide goes forward.

Im going to have to try this before I replace the spring, and see if it works when actually shooting. Might be something to keep in mind, if it were to happen at a bad time.
It will work. Glock actually describes this function in the Armorer's course and calls it a feature although I'm inclined to believe it was just a happy accident that it works this way.

If you are in a jam and notice your trigger isn't resetting, you can hold the trigger back and rack the slide with the trigger held back to get the trigger reset. You'll dump a live round but you'll get your trigger reset.
Quote:
Ive heard if you send it in, they will go over it and replace what they feel is needed, and supposedly, free of charge.
You can also take it to a GSSF match in your area. The on-site armorer will generally replace parts (subject to some limitations) free of charge, as needed.
Old September 26, 2015, 07:50 PM   #46
reddog81

Impressive. And your reloads aren't low recoil "target" loads.
Old September 26, 2015, 08:00 PM   #47
AK103K

No, theyre on the warm side. Glocks dont like low powered stuff.
Old September 26, 2015, 08:49 PM   #48
marine6680

I remember people saying that poly guns won't hold up... but It seems that they do just fine.

There is a similar thread over on the S&W forums about an M&P that has hit over 70,000 rounds. He goes over his replacement parts and breakages... which were not many.
Old September 26, 2015, 10:38 PM   #49
745SW

Appreciate the extensive report. Perhaps I missed it, didn't notice the model toward beginning. The full size 17 has a long standing rep of being a round count king. The NY (heavy) trigger is said to give better trig spring life.
Old September 26, 2015, 10:49 PM   #50
9x18_Walther

Quote:
Having gone this far, Im curious to see how far it goes.
I imagine it will go as far as you are willing to take it.

When do you consider the gun no longer original? New barrel, new slide, etc?

According to the ATF, I suppose your Glock will last until the polymer frame cracks.

Out of curiosity, how does the rifling look? Some folks say polygonal is supposed to last longer than traditional lands and grooves, others say the opposite.
Closed Thread