The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 20, 2012, 10:18 PM   #1
seansean1444

shipping a 6 position stock

hi guys i recently bought a ruger 10 22 and was looking for a cool stock for it, well i found one on ebay for a good price with a collapsible 6 position stock and pistol grip so i ordered it. now i am hearing from some people they arnt supposed to be shipped into ny because of the collapsible stock? i have been tracking the package and it traveled from iowa to dallas then to northern texas but now it has stopped moving for 2 days? any idea if something happened where they decided they couldnt ship it??
Old October 20, 2012, 10:53 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Dunno ... but if you do receive it, you'd better ship it back ASAP. I don't think you're allowed to have it. Certainly not on an AR-pattern rifle. I'm not as certain about a 10/22, but I don't think I would take a chance on it.

From the NRA ("SAW" = Semi-automatic Assault Weapon")

Quote:
A SAW is a rifle, shotgun, or pistol manufactured after September 14, 1994 with certain “evil” features. See below for more information regarding the state law as it pertains to rifles, shotguns and pistols.

Rifles
To qualify as a SAW, a rifle must be semiautomatic (otherwise known as auto-loading) and must be able to accept a detachable magazine. A post-ban rifle that qualifies as a SAW must not have more than one “evil” feature. These “evil” features are as follows:

A pistol grip

A flash hider or a threaded barrel that can readily accept a flash hider or suppressor

A folding or telescoping stock

A bayonet lug

A grenade launcher
The now-expired Federal AWB allowed two "evil" features. NY allows only one. A 10/22 has a detachable magazine, so any stock that has a pistol grip AND collapses puts you over the limit.
Old October 20, 2012, 10:57 PM   #3
seansean1444

well if it does get through and i permanetly pin the stock will that be ok? also what will happen if it doesnt come through any ideas?
Old October 20, 2012, 11:55 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansean1444
well if it does get through and i permanetly pin the stock will that be ok?
I have no idea -- I don't live in New York.
Old October 21, 2012, 10:43 AM   #5
Nickel Plated

It's not illegal to ship a collapsible stock to NY or even NYC. It's only illegal once you put it on a firearm that would make it an AW. How would they know you're not just buying it to put it on an airsoft gun? Or for some silly art project?

I live in NYC and have purchased many things that WOULD be illegal had I put them on an actual firearm. (14.5" M4 barrel, collapsible stock, Full auto FCG) but since they were just used to build up an airsoft rifle, it's fine. No issues shipping them in.

If there was an issue shipping it to you then it wouldn't have even been shipped to begin with. If it's on the truck then it's good to go. And UPS or FedEx don't just decide that it shouldn't have been shipped and reroute it to Texas for no reason.
Sometimes packages take weird detours. That's just the way the route goes. It'll get there. As long as you pin it before attaching to the rifle, you're fine.
Old October 21, 2012, 11:10 AM   #6
sigcurious

Is there no possibility under the law in NY for constructive possession?
Old October 21, 2012, 07:45 PM   #7
Nickel Plated

Yes, but it's not like the ATF will raid your house as soon as the package drops on the porch. Those kind of charges (constructive possession, 422r violations) are really only pursued when you're in trouble for something more serious and the prosecutor wants to throw you in prison for as long as possible. Atleast I have never heard of anyone prosecuted on just those charges alone.

Either way just ordering the stock is not illegal.
So again, as long as you pin it before you attach it to anything that can be considered an AW, then you're fine.
Old October 22, 2012, 04:50 PM   #8
seansean1444

Allright great thanks guys hopefully it will arrive on time tomorrow morning
Old October 23, 2012, 05:55 PM   #9
Eghad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLSmCug0cxI

pretty easy way to pin a collapsible stock

NRA Life Member
Old October 23, 2012, 08:14 PM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLSmCug0cxI

pretty easy way to pin a collapsible stock
Easy, but probably not legal.

The guy even mentioned being able to remove the pin and change the position. The state AWB laws I've seen (which doesn't include California, and probably some others) say the stock must be "permanently" fixed. A removable roll pin is not permanent. In fact, he had a collapsible stock on a lower receiver. If he lives in an AWB state, he was illegal before he even turned on the video camera.

I know a couple of retired LEOs who run a small gun shop in an AWB state. They can't even bring a stock into the state and modify it -- they have to come in fixed. And what they told me is that the "fix" is epoxy. (Not a roll pin.) They buy ARs from Stag Arms and Bushmaster, mostly, and the stocks they receuve are solidly epoxied into position.