The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 10, 2012, 12:51 PM   #26
Wrothgar

CZs and Tikkas are both relatively inexpensive and VERY good rifles. I'm looking forward to giving this new Ruger rifle a shot.
Old January 10, 2012, 01:27 PM   #27
mdd

I like the concept of this rifle and several of the features. I have come very close to buying an axis in 22-250 but just couldn't bring myself to it. If ruger expands their caliber selection to include 204, 223, and 22-250 i'll own at least one of them. It would instantly become my new truck gun.
If nothing else we should appreciate an American company trying something new and offering us an affordable alternative. Built by American workers for working Americans ain't a bad thing.
Old January 10, 2012, 07:45 PM   #28
johnwilliamson062

If they shoot as claimed I may buy a 22-250 in the future.
Venture at budsgunshop is $475. If the MSRP on the American is $400, I imagine they will settle close to three. That is a HUGE price difference.

1. The Ruger has an "accutrigger" -I assume this is positive

2. This rifle has the bedding blocks milled into the stock (this is the 2nd new rifle I have seen with this design. The problem this creates (in my mind) is a lack of aftermarket stocks should the shooter not like the factory stock. -Isn't it pretty common that you have to buy a stock made for the rifle? How many rifles are interchangeable. I guess a few may inlet stocks themselves, but not many. This will push a replacement stock price up, but I don;t see it directly affecting availability beyond squeezing out lower price points. Most people who want stocks at lower price points will probably be fine with the OEM stock.

3. This rifle has a tang safety which some like and some don't. On the plus side (for me) this safety allows the bolt to be lifted while in the "safe" position. -You are right some won't like it. Most hunters I know like the tang safety b/c they are most familiar with mossberg shotguns. Trap shooters, defensive shooters, high power shooters, not so much, but I don't think they are the target audience anyways.

4. The scope bases are NOT integral to this rifle. -Intersting observation and a good point. I would prefer integral, especially weaver, but not a huge deal. It looks to me like the TC are included, but not integral.

5. This rifle requires the action to be removed from the stock to adjust the trigger. -Is this really a significant negative? Do you foresee changing the settings in the field? I just don't see when this will be a problem. Most will set it once and leave it for as long as they own the rifle.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; January 10, 2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old January 11, 2012, 02:20 AM   #29
Pathfinder45

It's not their worst......

......I think it's ugly, but that's just my opinion. I forget the name of that thing they made out of their 10-22, that weird pistol thing. That was truly worthy of ridicule. What I really like about this current trend towards ugly plastic and/or tacticool is that some folks seem to be trading off their nice old Winchesters they inherited and now I can afford a classic that they traded off.
Old January 11, 2012, 11:59 AM   #30
Tom Matiska

I'll give it some points for being a good hands on carry rifle.

At 6.25 lbs it will spend more time in the hands and less time on the shoulder. Don't put a Hubble Telescope on it and you have a carry all day rifle.

Looks like the magazine area forward of the trigger is mostly plastic, and better for single hand carry. Large cold metal clips and floorplates at the center of gravity are on my dislike list on a cold December morning.... if you don't want a cold stiff trigger finger you need to wear too much glove or sling it over the shoulder.

... I'd carry it...
Old January 11, 2012, 01:16 PM   #31
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

One of the first things i did was pop out the magazine. It's all plastic and seems very thin. It's not like the robust mag you find on something like a 10/22. And the latch that holds it in place seems very flimsy, prone to snapping. Once again, it looked great in the photos but one I got my hands on it, I was very disappointed.
Old January 21, 2012, 04:01 PM   #32
ScotchMan

I am someone who only has a .22 rifle and is looking to get into shooting a centerfire rifle. I have shot friends' 30-30s and a .300 Winmag. However I am not convinced I need a really high quality rifle as I do not hunt and don't forsee any "long term defense" scenarios in my future.

That said, I've been looking for an entry level rifle for me for a while. I love the Savage Accutrigger, and that is the biggest reason I don't want an Axis (lack of Accutrigger). I have looked at the Ruger Gunsite extensively, as well as similarly-priced Savages, but I'm just not at the point where I'd rather have a $700-1000 rifle than a new 1911, for example.

I also am not sure if I want to go with a bolt action or AR first (I'm sure I will end up with both eventually).

So, coming from the perspective above, and already being satisfied with Ruger, I am very interested in this rifle. I'm ok if it feels cheap and plastic, if the trigger is similar to the Accutrigger then I find it to be a great value. And if not, I'm only out $350-400, and I can gift it to a friend to get another person into shooting.

It would seem to me that the type of person who frequents rifle forums online is probably not the target market for this rifle, so the comments here aren't unexpected. But for someone like me, it will probably be a success.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old January 21, 2012, 04:58 PM   #33
orsogato

I'd go with the Savage for this type of rifle. They have been making em with this system for a while now.
Old January 21, 2012, 05:15 PM   #34
Bamashooter

How many of you people badmouthing ruger has actually seen or held one of these new rifles?
Old January 21, 2012, 05:38 PM   #35
ScotchMan

Quote:
I'd go with the Savage for this type of rifle. They have been making em with this system for a while now.
What is the trigger like? And is there any reason to think it will be better than Ruger's new offering?

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old January 21, 2012, 07:11 PM   #36
orsogato

Scotchman,

I don't intend to flame Ruger. I own several of their guns. All are good.

This is Rugers first foray into making a rifle using the barrel nut retention system similar to that of the Savage model 110 and its progeny.

Savage has been making this design of rifle for almost 50 years. It's always had a good reputation for value and excellent accuracy. Essentially it is Savage's base design system for its entire line of bolt action centerfire rifles.

Here's a decent article about the Savage:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...8/ai_93317493/

My only point was that if I were going for this design type, I'd opt for the Savage.

I'm sure the Ruger will be a good value also. Most of the guns they make are.
Old January 21, 2012, 07:18 PM   #37
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

Quote:
How many of you people badmouthing ruger has actually seen or held one of these new rifles?
I have.

I played with one at the Camfour dealer show in Norwich, CT a couple weeks ago. The rifle seemed very cheap and sloppily made. For the price, I would pick up a nice FR8 and save my dollars. I don't know if it could shoot but I was quite turned off by it.
Old June 6, 2012, 09:44 PM   #38
Metal god

Ruger American rifle in 308 review

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Took my new 308 Ruger american rifle to the range the other day .I spent $360 on the rifle and $ 60 on the scope . I have a 3-9x40 mil-dot tasco world class scope on it . Its a good scope for the money and worked well . I know now that I will need more magnification for what this rifle can do . We were shooting on a table with a rest and rear bag . At 100 yards the rifle will and did shoot 1 MOA . Ammo used was federal gold metal match 168 gran .A quarter could cover the group . Thats not bad for a $360 rifle not sure you can ask for any more for that price . The trigger was nice . We shot it with the trigger wieght at what ever it came from the factory at . That being said we did notice that if the barrel started to get hot the accuracy droped off . The first two or three shots were bang on and tight groups . I would shoot 3 rounds check the grouping load 3 more shoot check the group load 3 more shoot . The barrel would get a bit hot and the grouping would start to dorp off a bit . If you let it cool down the first 3 shots would be bang on again . Realy thats all you need , 3 shots . You take the first shot at the deer or what ever and maybe a follow up shot or 2 . Go claim your trophy and put the gun away till next year . LOL bottom line is good gun boarder line great . Not sure you can beat it for the price . Savage sells one for around that price but at that price you do not get the accu-trigger . You have to shell out another hundred bucks for that . The trigger on the ruger is nice and is adjustible from 3 to 5 pounds . Again very good gun at a great price . It comes in 4 cal. 270 , 30-06 , 243 . and 308 Go get ya one .

The gun is very light so it has a bit of recoil . Some say the recoil is about the same as a 12 gauge ,I think thats about right maybe a little more .

The mag was easy to load and worked great .

From carry to cheek ? I did not do any shooting that required me to move the gun from a carry to cheek/shooting position. I did how ever take the last 4 shots of the day standing and holding the rifle free hand . I had a 8" target set up at 100 yards . All 4 shots were on target I guess you can say I shot a 8" group standing .

There is one more important thing I forgot to say . The barrel is completely free floated . Thats good yes and the stock is sturdy enough when holding it but when you set the rifle on the rest on the front part of the stock the barrel will make contact with the sock and is know longer free floating . We just set the rest way up on the stock just under the barrel nut . That seemed to work just fine .
Old June 12, 2012, 06:49 PM   #39
chucknbach

Ruger is not known for accuracy. 2" at 50yds is what Ruger calls accurate. I will never buy another Ruger. Yes I'm jaded. I bought 2 of them in the past 7 yrs neither one of them could shoot. Both were not the cheapest in their class. I'd hate to see Ruger when they try to save on production costs.

Hopefully I'm wrong and Ruger got it right with this new one but I wouldn't chance it.
Old June 12, 2012, 07:00 PM   #40
tahunua001

a local store has one in 30-06 for around 350 bucks. I've held it and it looks good, pending a couple dry fire sessions I would be willing to say that I would buy one if I got the chance.
Old September 10, 2012, 11:06 PM   #41
Metal god

Chuck

Sounds like you got a couple of lemons . I'm glad to say I did not .

Just got back from the range . I was able to reach out a bit today. We had targets set at 100 , 200 , and 300 Yards . At 300 yds I had a sting of 3 1/2 " . Thats just over 1 MOA and im OK with that . Im not the best shooter and I beleave the gun can shoot better then 1 MOA at 300 yds. The gun out shoots me right now . Soon I hope to out shoot the gun .

Some say if I had better glass I would shoot better . Like I said Im using a tasco wold class 3-9x40 and I like it . I would love to put a $500 to $1,000 scope on it and see if I or the gun shoots any better .

Bottom line the gun is worth the money

If you want to read a real review from pepole that have shot the Ruger American and not just read about it .
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492169

Tags
american , ruger