The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 8, 2011, 10:40 PM   #1
hounddawg

suggestions for .243 loads with 87 gr Vmax's ?

picked up a Stevens in .243 Win for a project rifle and will be using the stock barrel for a couple of months. 1 in 9.25 twist. Ordered 200 Hornady 87 grain V Max's to break the barrel in with, any suggestions on powder and starting load. I have 4 or 5 pounds of Varget on hand but from what I read on various forums some are saying the .243 does not like Varget all that much, other say it is ok and seems as if a lot are using H4350.
Old December 9, 2011, 01:03 AM   #2
briandg

IMR 4350 is the one and only powder that my .243 prefers, any bullet weight. It should be the first try, IMO, for .243.

Unless there is something else that has taken over as the correct powder for .243.
Old December 9, 2011, 02:49 AM   #3
mrawesome22

IMR4350 is what I would start with. Great velocity and case fill with that combo.

I shoot the 75gr Hornady FBHP and IMR4350 with great results.

Varget would only give about 89% case fill with a max charge.

IMR4831 would be my second pick if the gun doesn't like the 4350.
Old December 9, 2011, 05:58 AM   #4
hounddawg

looks like I will be going to buy some 4350, that seems to be the powder of choice
Old December 9, 2011, 06:55 AM   #5
mehavey

For the past decades I'd used IMR4350, IMR4064 and the like. But if you can get it, find Hodgdon's new SuperFomance and use it.
I rarely call anything "phenomenal."
SuperF is.....

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...46&postcount=1

(I have since hit 3,500fps with a charge that has not shown ANY
pressure signs. But I'll not recommend that to the gentle readers.
(foot stomp, foot stomp)
I've since backed down to a charge that the twist can handle)

Last edited by mehavey; December 9, 2011 at 07:06 AM.
Old December 9, 2011, 10:48 AM   #6
PawPaw

The companies are doing interesting things with powder these days. My experience parallels Mehavey's with the newer powders, but I've been playing with Alliant's Power Pro 2000 MR, although I admit that I haven't been using it in the .243. What I like about this new powder is that it's a ball powder and meters like water.

Addditionally, Alliant's online guide shows some impressive numbers with the powder and I have no reason to doubt them. I have used the powder in the .308 Winchester and found that Alliant's data, is if anything, fairly conservative with that powder. I went to the max load using a 150 grain bullet and got absolutely no pressure signs at all. As it was late summer and I was looking for a hunting load, I backed off to the best group for my rifle and was able to launch a 150 grain bullet at 2947 fps with ragged hole groups. The next step took me to almost 3000 fps, but time constraints got the best of me and I backed off. I talked about it at another forum and you can view the thread here.

My current load for the .243 Winchester uses ~100 grain bullets and Reloder 22 powder with some great numbers, but this spring I intend to get another pound of PP2000MR and try the .243 with light bullets.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old December 9, 2011, 11:09 AM   #7
dodge

A friend of mine uses 38 grs of 4064 with this bullet but I use the same powder charge behind a Sierra 85 gr HPBT.
Old December 9, 2011, 10:39 PM   #8
hounddawg

I called around this afternoon and one local store has 4350 and reloader 19 + 22 on the shelf, they are a bit high but still cheaper than paying shipping + hazmat and I figure a pound or two will get me by. Just using it for plinking with the original barrel and stock until I can get the parts for the build together. The power pro looks interesting and might pick up a pound of it if I can find it and play with some loads when I finish the build. Gun is a silk purse project on a Stevens/Savage action
Old December 11, 2011, 06:36 PM   #9
savagelover

when I was shooting a lot of 243 ammo.I used nothing but H4831 and never weighted any of the loads..I filled the case full and seated a 60 grain if I remember right on top and seated the bullet...This thing shot 3 shot groups at 250 yards of about 3/8 inch.....Not telling you to try it though.....work up on your own...
Old December 11, 2011, 06:53 PM   #10
mrawesome22

Wow Salvage. I am surprised you are still here to tell us about it.
Old December 11, 2011, 07:30 PM   #11
mehavey

H4831 is a relatively slow powder, so Savage was operating in the low-mid 50's ksi... (and... was dumping 10% of the powder out of the muzzle to boot).

But for all you Noo-B's out there: God protects fools, drunks, little children and my Academy roommate... but rarely (if ever) handloaders who wing it.

Last edited by mehavey; December 11, 2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old December 11, 2011, 09:40 PM   #12
savagelover

No I dont think I was wasting any powder this way...I shot that load for a long time with no problem what so ever..It worked well and was very accurat.win rifle I believe it was a model 788....
Old December 11, 2011, 09:46 PM   #13
hounddawg

I think I will pass on that one. I blew up a Wilson barreled AR last year with no physical damage (to me) although my gun and my underwear did not do so well. Lesson was never have more than 1 jug of powder on the bench at one time and never load the powder throw while talking with wife.
Old December 11, 2011, 09:46 PM   #14
mrawesome22

That combo would have a lot of unburned powder coming out the end of the barrel.

Perfect example of why to never shoot someone else's reloads.

God be with you Salvage.
Old December 11, 2011, 09:53 PM   #15
savagelover

not saying I do it now..Nor am I telling anyone else to use this load...I was just telling what I did..Did not say it was a safe load either..All I said was it was accurate for me and worked for me..Wish I could locate my old load book
so I could relate all the info. such as what the M.V was..There was no sign of any pressure either..
Old December 11, 2011, 10:04 PM   #16
mehavey

The '4831' powders have long had a deserved reputation of being very forgiving, Savage, and you're not the first one to relate similar scoop-it-full-and-jam-the bullet-in stories.

But we all know about Old and Bold fighter pilots........ (there ain't any).
Old December 11, 2011, 10:09 PM   #17
hounddawg

well if you were using good cases the loads were consistent
Old December 11, 2011, 10:13 PM   #18
savagelover

well I have been loading and shooting for close to 45 years now..I take it serious and would not tell anyone to use my reloads or use my data..we all have done some strange things from time to time...I know a guy that tried some red dot in a rifle after being told not to..He damn near ate a bolt..Now that is just plane stupid..I knew about using the 4831 long befor I tried that load..I had some darn good teacheers and shooters in my life...I appreciate all of the coments and replies...Be safe out there and pay attention to your head space...