The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 9, 2008, 11:39 AM   #1
JGrelle

Speer Gold Dot Ripoff

I am not sure when it happened but has any noticed that Speer stoped selling the 230 gr .451 Gold Dot in 100 qty boxes & not have them in 50 ct boxes for very nearly the same price. Smells like a scam to me. I have seen this alot before & companies will try stunts like this & if enough of us make some noise with them hopefully we can get them to listen & correct their error. It just bull on their part & makes me mad as h@##. Then will try to claim it is customer demand, lol.

Nosler did the same thing years back & now their 50 packs cost the same as most other brands 100 ct boxes.

If this issue concerns you then please contact Speer & let them know.

Rant over

Last edited by JGrelle; November 9, 2008 at 12:14 PM.
Old November 9, 2008, 12:15 PM   #2
Crosshair

IIRC they had to replace their tooling for the 45 cal flying ashtrays not too long ago as it had worn out and replacement parts were unavailable. That is probably the reason.
Old November 9, 2008, 02:31 PM   #3
musher

If their bullets are overpriced, then the market will correct it.
Old November 10, 2008, 11:55 PM   #4
Gun 4 Fun

I have noticed that since all metals are skyrocketing several different bullet makers are doing this. Hornady makes good stuff and I used to use a lot of there bullets, but in the last 4-5 yrs. they went from being slightly less than everyone else to being noticibly more. On bullets and brass. A few years ago when they first came out with .458 Lott brass, actually about 6-8 mos. after, I bought a 50 piece box for right at $20. Less than 6 mos. after that it had almost tripled. This was well before brass andd lead went through the roof. Their brass is good, but it ain't no better than Starline or Winchester, their bullets are also good, but again not any better or even as good as some others.
I don't like it when the companies change the count in the box without clearly marking it as such. If your used to grabbing that old familiar box and heading to the checkout, it's a real bummer to find that it's only got half what it used to inside when you get home.

He who dies with the most toys, still dies.
Old November 11, 2008, 08:16 PM   #5
bullspotter

uhhh you just made me go look as i just bought 4 boxes of the speer gdots a few weeks ago, never even looked at how many was in the box, their all 100 ct though. I usto shoot only speer gd bullets out of my .45 and 357. over the last 3 or 4 years their .45 230 gr 100ct boxes has gone from $13-$14 a box to $28.00. Just to much to be shooting them all the time for plinking. so i have bought cheaper bullets for just going out to have fun and burn up some rounds, but still use the Gold dots for my hunting and any time i need a better bullet. Still love the gold dots though.......
Old November 12, 2008, 03:07 PM   #6
ForneyRider

I really like the Hornady XTP. My local component supplier has good prices on them.
Old November 13, 2008, 03:05 PM   #7
CowTowner

Quote:
My local component supplier has good prices on them.
Who you getting them from at a good price? I have no problem driving to Forney if the price is right.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old November 13, 2008, 06:46 PM   #8
rbb50

The Hornady HP/XTP is a nice bullet but check out the new Sierra power jackets and you will find they are even better.

I quit buying Speer a long time ago when I found them just not to be as accurate as the Hornady XTP and Sierra power jackets along with them costing more to boot.
Old November 14, 2008, 07:13 AM   #9
VaFisher

Buy the Hornady and forget the rest.
Old November 14, 2008, 08:06 AM   #10
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Speer Gold Dot Ripoff
"Ripoff"? Are they priced above that of the rest of the market or did they finally just catch up with the rest of the market?
Old November 14, 2008, 08:33 AM   #11
ForneyRider

Southwest Ammo Supply in Mesquite.

They are at most gun shows.
Old November 14, 2008, 05:38 PM   #12
rbb50

Prices from the MidwayUSA website.

I still just use the Hornady and Sierra power jackets of which they do not show at Midway.

Winchester bullets come in a bag LOL that is funny.

Have not tried the Rainier bullets but as cheap as they are I might try some just to see how they do.

Notice Barnes the most expensive ones with only 20 to a box but Speer trying to catch up with those profits also I would guess.

I saw some Speer .257 rifle bullets in a gun store today and it was just a box of 50 for $23 or so.

Then I looked at the .284 Sierra SPBT game kings for only $19 for a box of 100

Rainier LeadSafe Bullets 38 Caliber (357 Diameter) 125 Grain Plated Hollow Point Box of 100
Our Price:$11.79

Winchester Bullets 38 Caliber (357 Diameter) 125 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point Bag of 100
Our Price:$12.79

Hornady XTP Bullets 38 Caliber (357 Diameter) 125 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point Box of 100
Our Price:$14.99

Sierra SportsMaster Bullets 38 Caliber (357 Diameter) 125 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point Box of 100
Our Price:$16.79

Remington Golden Saber Bullets 357 Magnum (357 Diameter) 125 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point Box of 100
Our Price:$16.99

Magtech Bullets 38 Caliber (357 Diameter) 125 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point Bag of 100
Our Price:$17.79

Speer Gold Dot Bullets 38 Caliber (357 Diameter) 125 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point Box of 100
Our Price:$20.99

Barnes XPB Handgun Bullets 357 Magnum (357 Diameter) 125 Grain Hollow Point Lead-Free Box of 20
Our Price:$15.99