The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 1, 2007, 01:24 PM   #1
AndrewD

Scope question for Savage 111 .270

I've got two scopes to put on my wife's Savage 111 .270. A Leupold VXII 4-12x40 or a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40. The remaining scope will go on my new Model 70 .223 WSSM. I (meaning she) would prefer to put the nicer Leupold on the .270, and the scope does seem better suited to that round rather than the .223 WSSM.

I'm a complete novice with rifle glass and I can't make heads or tails of the scope and mount companies' websites. There are so many mounting options. I have some Leupold STD mounts for the model 70, but no rings. Both scopes have 1" tubes. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old June 1, 2007, 04:29 PM   #2
TPAW

I would put the Leupold on the .223, and the Burris on the .270. I guess it also depends what you intend to use them for, hunting or target or both. They will both reach out and touch someone, it's a matter of which one you want to have the most magnification. JMO...