The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 1, 2000, 04:13 AM   #1
45 Fan

Hi to the group:
I have a question about the seating die in my Dillon 650. I usually only shoot two different style of bullets; 200grSWC and 230grnRN. I try to keep my C.O.L. at approx. 1.250. Can I simply reverse the seating plug when loading 230grRN and still keep the same C.O.L. or will the different ogive of the bullet cause the overall length to be off? If it will be off, I was considering replacing the Dillon seater with the Redding Competition seater die with micrometer head to be able to readjust my bullet seating depth easily. Any thoughts from the group?...45Fan

------------------
NRA Life Member
IDPA FL AO6743
Old April 1, 2000, 01:01 PM   #2
EQP

45 Fan

I don't have a clue as to the first part of your post but I can comment on the Redding seating die. I use a RL550B and the Redding Competition seating dieand I love it. I load either 185grJHP or 230grRN. It takes me all of 5 seconds to change the seating depth to dead on accurate for either load. It was well worth the extra bucks that it cost! I am considering buying a 9mm for something different to shoot. You can be assured that if I do, I will get the Redding seating die for it as well.

Hope that helps,
Evan
Old April 1, 2000, 02:18 PM   #3
char923

45 Fan
I do not known, all you can do is try it, on my 550B press I have two tool heads and two sets of die, one for SWC and one for RN. I do it this way,it save me time with bullet change over all I do is move the powder measure.
Old April 1, 2000, 11:59 PM   #4
alan

45fan
I use RCBS dies with a Dillon 550. I would think however, that a fairly significant weight difference and the shape difference would lead to different oal. Also, with a 200 grain swc (H & G 68 or similar), I use an oal of 1.260".

I would suggest that you make up a dummy round with each bullet seated to whatever oal you want. When you change bullets, readjust your seating die as required.
Old April 2, 2000, 09:39 AM   #5
45acp

45 fan,
you will have to adjust the col between the two bullet profiles. i load 230 fmj and 200lswc and definately have to adjust the col between profiles. i use the the xl650 with dillon dies. good luck...