The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 8, 2012, 11:48 AM   #1
mehavey

Leakage -- Winchester 357Mag brass/Fed Small Pistol Primers

In working up loads for a `92 Winchester rifle in 357, I noticed my first (in 45 years) sooty primer "leakage"
around the circumference of the Fed Small Pistol primers in brand new Winchester brass.

Pressures are not [suposedly] max'd using 14-15gr Lil'Gun under a BearTooth185CastRNFP/GasCheck'd/OAL=1.575",
and primers look normal otherwise. Oehler-chrono'd velocities are consistent with shooters using this combination
/listed speeds on the Cast Boolits forum.

I have noticed that the Fed-primer/Win-brass fit is exceptionally easy when priming w/ my
old-style Lee AutoPrime.

Is there some component history problem here I've missed of late?

Last edited by mehavey; May 8, 2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old May 8, 2012, 09:13 PM   #2
bfoosh006

First off.... 185gr bullets with 14-15grs of Lil'Gun seems high to me for a lead bullet that heavy, you may be over max with that. Try backing 'em off a little and see what happens. Are you sure that OAL / bullet combo isn't mashed into the lands ?

"Is there some component history problem here I've missed of late?"

None that I have heard of... I would be measuring the diameter of the primer pockets in the new brass, along with the diameter of the primers.
Old May 8, 2012, 10:43 PM   #3
Arizona Smithshooter

Are you using the correct primers???
Old May 8, 2012, 10:57 PM   #4
mehavey

NOTE: OverMax Loads mentioned here. Caveat shooter

Quote:
185gr bullets with 14-15grs of Lil'Gun seems high to me for a lead bullet that heavy,...
I'll never venture that you might not be right in that respect, though the CastBoolit troops are running at high as Lil'Gun/16gr under that bullet, and I'm running matching velocities w/ their 15gr loads. In any case I have already loaded down to 13.0-13.5gr for trial as soon as it quits drizzling around here. Group trends indicated slower might be better anyway.

Before I ever started I had also calibrated QuickLoad against Lyman's velocity/pressure listing for V-N110 under their #358429 170grain LSWC by adjusting case volume to match what their test setup gave them. Then I shifted those same settings over to Beartooth's 185gr design, Lil'Gun powder, lengthened the OAL by 25-thou, and stretched the barrel to 20". Believe it or not the pressure went down due to OAL more than it went up due to bullet weight. and the velocities I chrono'd @1,730-ish matched QuickLoad's predictions absolutely dead on -- but I'm approaching top end European pressures at 15.0gr.

13.0gr should see me back down to 25,000psi/1,510fps; and 13.5 should produce 27,400 at 1,570fps.
I can certainly live w/ that if groups settle some more

Meanwhile, I haven't a clue how the CastBoolit guys are getting away with 16.0grains+/

Last edited by mehavey; May 8, 2012 at 11:11 PM.