The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 3, 2000, 07:33 PM   #1
Donald Stiles

I have bought a new Ruger 77 MKII VT with the laminated stock in 22 PPC cal. I am interested in glass bedding or floating the barrel. Any response will be greatly appreciated

------------------
Donald Stiles
Old May 3, 2000, 08:51 PM   #2
HankL

Hey Donald. The barrel should already be floated and in the laminated stock it should be pretty close to home. Clean the barrel, take it out and shoot it and let us know how it all worked out. I have one in 308 and have never felt the need to mess with it.
Regards
Old May 3, 2000, 09:52 PM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Donald, if you aren't happy with the accuracy then by all means bed it. I can't recall ever seeing a rifle shoot worse after being properly bedded. But as Hank says, shoot it first. It may be more than satisfactory as is. George
Old May 4, 2000, 09:27 AM   #4
freestate

I've only bedded two rifles in my life and boy, what a difference it made to both. My most recent, a Remington 700 BDL in 7 Rem mag recently shot one large hole with 5 shots that measured .446". This was with factory Remington 150 grain ballistic tip ammo. Unless done improperly, I don't see how bedding will hurt.
Old May 4, 2000, 10:41 AM   #5
bthrel

I'm currently asking myself the same question. I have a Rem 700VLS in 6mm that shoots all around 1 inch (both sides) at 100 yards. Its one of the new ones with the pressure point at the front of the forearm. I have been tossing around the idea of removing the pressure point and beding the action. Seems like its easy enougth to do but since it would be my first attempt I'm still thinking.

Good Shooting

Brian
Old May 4, 2000, 06:23 PM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

bthrel: If the pressure point is the only thing touching the barrel, forward of the receiver, then you're free-floated.

If the pressure point is adjustable (If it ain't, make it so!), then back it off until it barely touches the barrel. Adjust it tighter no more than, say, 1/4 turn.

See if that doesn't help a bit. With Federal ammo loaded with the Sierra bullet, you should be getting 1/2" groups or better.

FWIW, Art
Old May 5, 2000, 01:37 AM   #7
ChrisMkIV

I will only repeat what I have heard from my gunsmith, "the first step to accurizing your rifle is to steel bed it, then go from there, from there you have a foundation to build on"

------------------
"The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword, becuse the whole body of the people are armed"
Noah Webster
Old May 5, 2000, 10:00 AM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I'm no pro gnsmith, just a guy that likes to work on his toys. I bed everything, from 10-22s to muzzleloaders,and it pays off.
Last one I did was a Model 700 SSMR in 30-06. Groups were so-so until I bedded the action and free-floated the bbl,then tightened up to sub MOA with a variety of loads.

Bedding the forearm on my TC High Plains Sporter shrank the groups at 50 yards from 3"+ to around 2" with a heavy load. The deer I've shot with it have no cause to complain about its accuracy/effectiveness.

Bedding is not rocket science,follow directions and take your time. It'll work out fine..