The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old April 4, 2005, 02:22 PM   #1
gifted

Controllability question

I'm having a bit of a discussion on another forum. Someone asked about the most controllable gun on FA, and several opinions were put forth. I figured I'd ask here and see what comes up.

Established is that FA, without support, is not controllable in long bursts. Small cartridges and weight make it more so, but it's still area affect or close in work to maximize it.

There was some question as to the controllability of a machine gun on a bipod or tripod. I was thinking that the whole point of those is to make the gun more controllable. A heavy, well-set mount would virtually eliminate recoil as a factor.

So how much of the burst fire training is heat control, how much muzzle control, and how much shoulder saver?
Old April 4, 2005, 03:52 PM   #2
Stiletto

I'm betting that part of it is aiming. Firing a burst at one target, switching, firing another is a lot faster (and ammo-conservative) than just walking fire between the targets.
Old April 4, 2005, 04:43 PM   #3
Greenfurniture

In my experience the ability to control a select fire weapon rests with the person shooting it.

That being said, I find that 5.56 or less is very easy to control. Pistols up to and including 10mm are very easy to control as well.

Bipods and other items for a "light machine gun" are sort of unnecessary.