The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 24, 2013, 10:15 AM   #1
Double Impact

Frustrating range day

I went to the range the range to put a few rds thru my EDC. I am used to a weekly range trip with a EDC gun and some others just for fun shooting.
Now I'm down to once a month with my edc for practice and function testing.
Not only am I down to once a month I am force to shoot less than half the rds I used to.

Thats what I mean about frustrating. Is any one else force to back off on range time because of this ammo shortage?

When will all end?
Old April 24, 2013, 10:34 AM   #2
g.willikers

If, what you mean is range time for slinging lead down range for one's amusement, then we're in for tough times.
But if what is meant is practicing for skill retention and improvement, there's ways around the ammo shortage.
Airguns, dry firing, and focused drills and practice.
It's impressive what the results can be from pre-planned, ammo stingy, well focused practice.
It's easily possible to have a very productive day with less than 75 rds or so per gun.
Sometimes as little as 25 rounds, depending on what needs practice.
It ain't the greatest, but it kind of harkens back to the days when, as youngsters, it was a financial struggle to afford much ammo, at any one time.
We quite often went to the range or woods, with a single box of ammo.
And just as often to return home with some of it saved for next time.
And we still got a good day of shooting.
Old April 24, 2013, 11:07 AM   #3
Don P

Quote:
Is any one else force to back off on range time because of this ammo shortage?
No plenty of reloads on hand
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old April 24, 2013, 11:20 AM   #4
Double Impact

Don P

I hate you!
Old April 24, 2013, 12:48 PM   #5
sir_n0thing

Re: Frustrating range day

My range time is down so far that I let my membership at my local range lapse.
On the other hand, I am now wearing out my Snap Caps!

Gander Mountain near me has their virtual range, which is a nice option that uses no ammo.
Old April 24, 2013, 01:31 PM   #6
BigJimP

Reloading will certainly make it easier for you to keep up your quantity of rounds ...if you want to.

Reloading supplies are available...if you're patient ...and even though prices are up - most of us that do reload / stock up with about what we want to shoot for 6 months or so.

So no, I haven't really cut back on my shooting...

But practicing smartly ....I think is part of the key as well. Have a plan / and a course of fire that you want to work on when you go to the range. It doesn't need to be complicated. Even something easy like a T-2 target ( 8 1/2" X 12" or so ).....with a bulls eye on it / ....turn it over - so the whole back is just a blank target..../ set a "standard" for yourself...say 6 seconds...for a draw from holster and double tap - a reload - then a single tap (all under 6 seconds). Run it at 2 yds, 3 yds, 4, 5, 6, and 7 yds...( so 18 shots )....if you are under your par time and 100% on target ( any shot on paper, is a good tactically accurate shot ! )....then run it the 2nd time thru at 1 sec shorter....push yourself a little. You are taking the gun in and out of holster 6 times for each distance / working on your grip, stance, safely in and out of holster, get the gun up on the right plane..dropping a mag - and working on that reload position with the gun up and your feel of grabbing that extra mag off of your belt...etc. and you can run that 3 times for 54 rounds.

I think that's good practice !
Old April 24, 2013, 02:01 PM   #7
Double Impact

BigjimP

That sounds pretty close to what I do it's just that now instead of running a couple hundred rds and maybe two guns it's one gun at a time and about 75 rds is what I do. Still good practice just wish it could be more. things will come back sooner or later. I'm also looking at some gas powered pellet guns and ordered some snap caps or dry fire. I have never been a big fan of dry fire but it is a good trigger control tool. After shooting for about 40 yrs or so I just hate needing to cut back so much. Thanks for your exercise I copied it and will give your routine a shot next range trip.
Old April 24, 2013, 02:07 PM   #8
Dragline45

As if the ammo shortage isn't bad enough, 2 months ago my local $50 a year outdoor range mon-sun got it's insurance dropped and is closed until they find a new provider. I'm forced to pay the $20 lane fee at the closest indoor range each time I shoot, so essentially I am paying more to shoot for just three outings than I was for a full years membership at my old range. I hate indoor ranges too, and I have no use for all my steel plates I used to used to set up at my old place.
Old April 24, 2013, 08:38 PM   #9
Webleymkv

Once a month would be nice. Between my schedule recently (part-time job and full-time student), finances (business has been slow so paychecks are correspondingly disappointing) and the ammo/component shortage (can't get any primers or most of the powders I normally use), I've only been to the range once this year. While I do have at least a couple boxes stashed away for each gun, I'm kind of afraid to shoot it up until I know it can be replaced.
Old April 24, 2013, 08:48 PM   #10
allaroundhunter

Quote:
Is any one else force to back off on range time because of this ammo shortage?
I haven't been to just a range session in about 3 months, but that isn't from a lack of ammo.

An ammo sponsor keeps me shooting several competitions each month, school is what keeps me from going to the range.
Old April 24, 2013, 10:27 PM   #11
orionengnr

I reload, and I have a pretty good supply of components, but I am rationing myself just to make sure I can make it through this mess, however long it goes.

Lately I've been going to the range once a week, but I only .shoot 25-35 rounds of .22LR and about 25 rounds of centerfire pistol (usually a 1911 in .45acp).

I only load five rounds at a time. I visualize my shots, and I make each shot count. After five I bring the target back, evaluate it, mark it for sequence and then set a fresh one. Occasionally, my best target is my first. More frequently, I get better with a bit of practice.

Far more rewarding ``to see yourself``11
Old April 25, 2013, 09:52 AM   #12
TailGator

Less live ammo and more snap caps for me, too. I'll do what I can to make the practice ammo last, and I certainly won't shoot up my defensive ammo needlessly, but at some point I may tell myself, "If I quit shooting because I have no ammo, or I quit shooting because I am hanging on to my ammo, I still quit shooting." That point isn't far off.
Old April 25, 2013, 12:04 PM   #13
papa shooter

ammo

Around here I have been telling folks if you have some firearms you like and some money in your pocket, buy ammo. That is what I have preached for the last 4 plus years. I am lucky that I listened to my own advice for a change. I am now the proud owner of over 10,000 rounds of 45ACP, 8,000 rounds of .38 spec, 6,000 rounds of .357 and about 30,000 rounds of 22lr. that doesn't count the rifle ammo or components for reloading even more.
Now my wife and I enjoy some quality range time with out any worry of running short of food for our pistols. She doesn't even question why I bought it all over the last few years. God I love that woman!!

Papa shooter