The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 24, 2012, 06:24 AM   #1
Tinner666

Basic Question

I've not been reloading for 20 years, so I'm a bit out of touch. The family and I are using lots of 9MM, so I decided to get a progressive loader and I just got the newest Lee Reloading manual and it raised a few questions.

For instance, the manual lists Bullseye with the 115 Grain XTR, but no other bullet.
For instance, Universal was only listed with the 115 Lead Bullet.
Soooooo, Do I assume Bullseye will work with any 115 jacketed bullet? Or not?
Same for Universal?
I looked but evidently missed any clarification in the manual, but I'm still looking!
It seems as if no one powder gets listed twice for the same weight bullets, but I just want some reassurance.
Thanks in advance.
Old September 24, 2012, 06:56 AM   #2
Misssissippi Dave

Other books will list data for different powder/bullet combinations. Speer and Hornady come to mind. You can also get data from the bullet and powder manufactures on line as well. You can use Universal and Bullseye powders for 115 grain jacketed bullets in 9 mm. I prefer using AA5 powder with a 124 grain Montana Gold FMJ bullet. My Dillon 550b will produce a pretty good amount of ammo per hour. Buy your first powders in only 1 pound containers until you are sure of the powder you like. Then buy that powder in those big jugs on line along with large quantities of primers from Graff's or Powder Valley. It will help to off set the HAZMAT charges and save you money too.

It seems I always keep running out of bullets. The bullets Montana Gold sells do come in about 68 pound cases. Those cases seem to only last me about a month each then I need more of them. Your mileage may vary.
Old September 24, 2012, 07:01 PM   #3
Tinner666

Thank you! I was having a brain fart, I guess.
I knew the cans had recipes that are generic. I swear I have a manual somewhere that is a bit more generic too.
Old September 24, 2012, 07:29 PM   #4
dickttx

Between the time I quit reloading and then started again (about 40 years) a lot of the shooting and reloading world changed. And the internet came about. I really like the fact that I can pull up the reload data from the powder manufacturer. I have never tried it for the bullet manufacturer as I have never used a name brand bullet.
For handgun loads you do have to do some interpolation if you do not use a name brand bullet. When I had previously reloaded for rifle, you went to the book and selected a particular bullet and then it showed you the primer, powder and case to use. It usually ain't that way for handguns.
Old September 24, 2012, 07:50 PM   #5
Misssissippi Dave

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...23&bulletid=25

I add .005" to the OAL of a JHP if I'm using FMJ bullet of the same weight. Work up the load slowly.

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp
Old September 25, 2012, 05:02 PM   #6
Tinner666

Thanks for the recipe Dave.
I got a new manual too in case any 'same name' powders have been improved while I was gone and the charges need to be reduced. Also to get in on newer ones.
I still haven't gone through my boxes of old loads to see what I loaded. I must have 1,000 rounds of reloads, or more, that I got too busy to fire.
I have two Lee presses, single station, and I've put them to good use.
Old September 25, 2012, 07:34 PM   #7
Misssissippi Dave

The 9 mm load I use the most is:

AA5 powder 5.8 grains
Montana Gold 124 grain FMJ bullet
1.120 to 1.130 OAL

I have a CZ pistol that needs a shorter length round. I load a little shorter most of the time just because of that pistol. The difference between 1.120 and 1.130" OAL doesn't make a lot of difference in accuracy or how clean it burns. It isn't a top end load but seems to work fine. Just a few feet per second doesn't matter to me for range ammo. I have only used this load for the last 3 or 4 cases of Montana Gold bullets I purchased. You get 3750 bullets per case from them. I am using a progressive press so quantity is easier to come by. I have used a few cases of their 115 grain JHP and FMJ bullets as well. I just like the results I got with this combination.
Old September 25, 2012, 08:14 PM   #8
tkglazie

Tinner666, as a point of reference I looked up my loads for 125gr lead rn and 124gr fmj rn 9mm for you (I dont load 115) and found that for fmj I use 4.4gr of HP38 and for lead I use 4.1gr HP38 (approximately the same velocity, 1000-1040fps).
Old September 25, 2012, 08:17 PM   #9
Tinner666

I hadn't thought of ordering from them before. Thanks again.
I try to shoot enough that all my weapons point naturally, if you know what I mean. I use Silvertips for CC, but may even try some CD now.
Getting used to the new Glock 26. I like the feel of it! It doesn't like Rem ammo, Not broken in yet either, but I'll also run that through the G19 to see how that goes. Blazer and others didn't show any issues.
Old September 25, 2012, 08:45 PM   #10
Misssissippi Dave

Remington 9 mm ammo seemed to be a little light loaded to me. With a new pistol or new slide spring I have had some feed problems. After about 1000 rounds it would cycle even with those loads. I try to replace slide springs every 5000 rounds or so. My reloads will cycle just fine even with a new spring in my pistol.

I was having problems with 115 grain bullets hitting a little low unless I push them near the max loads. The 124 grain bullets hit just fine with this load using the factory sights. It isn't a max load. I believe it is a bit above mid-range. It has been tried in 10 different 9 mm pistols so far.
Old November 1, 2012, 06:15 AM   #11
Tinner666

Misssissippi Dave, I took your advice and ordered from Montana Gold. Fast service too. I got a deal on a keg of Unique which my notes show I was using a lot of. It's very useful in all my other loads too, so I'll go with it for a while. Got a Pro1000 to add to my presses too. ($$$$ issues).
Just wanted to say thanks guys!
Old November 1, 2012, 07:45 AM   #12
Misssissippi Dave

That powder will work. It isn't a favorite of mine for a couple of reasons. I like ball type powders because the measure so well in just about any powder measure. Pistol powder will also work but you tend to get a lot of flash in the mid to upper ranges of the load. Montana Gold bullets are jacketed and work very well. The crimp on jacketed bullets is not as particular as say plated bullets are. I'm not certain but I think I have only ordered 5 cases of 9 mm bullets from this year so far. The last order I received this week took about a week from when I placed the order until I could get to the Post Office to sign and pick up my box. The ladies at the Post Office don't like moving those boxes for some reason. I guess it is the 68 pounds they weigh.

It would be nice to post later about how the press is working and your load as well.
Old November 1, 2012, 12:07 PM   #13
LarryFlew

Tinner, I am a fan of unique for 9mm and you will be doing almost exactly what my set up is. Montana Gold 124, CCI small pistol primers, unique and loaded with a pro 1000.
Old November 1, 2012, 08:29 PM   #14
Tinner666

It may be a week or two before I get it set up. Turns out my scale fell off a shelf. RCBS said they'd send a new one for $50. if I sent in the old one. I did and I'm waiting on it. i run several cycles and check weight of powder before cranking out bullets. Same for crimp, seating, etc.

BTW, another session with the wife showed the FTF and FTE's were only when she shot. A few pointers on tightening her wrist helped that.

I'll see what I can find on AA5. To be honest, I'm wandering around from one reccomendation to another. And shooting 380, 38's, 357's, 44mags, etc.

Sounds good Larry.
Old November 1, 2012, 10:51 PM   #15
Misssissippi Dave

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp
http://www.accuratepowder.com/load-data/
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...spx?powderid=3

Just a few sites to look at for some reloading data. I have a pretty good load for .45 with 185 grain MG JHP and for .357 Mag. I have worked up a fair load for .38 special too if you would like that data.

Like everything else you should check the load data you get from anyone to make certain it is a safe load. It also helps to work up even those loads to find out if your gun is going to possibly like a little more or a little less powder. Often .1 or .2 grains of powder will make a change to match your gun. Sometimes the bullet depth will need to be changed to fit your magazines too. That also might mean you need to adjust the powder if it is too much of a change. I, like anyone, else could easily list the wrong data by mistake. Even books can let a mistake get by from time to time. It is good to have a few different sources to compare data with before loading the first round. Powders might also change a little over time so some very old data might now be out of date. These are just some of the reasons to recheck everything.

I often use XTP bullet data as a reference for MG bullets when all else fails. So far it has worked for me.

Last edited by Misssissippi Dave; November 1, 2012 at 10:58 PM.