The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 27, 2012, 07:10 PM   #1
jwrowland77

Is Quickload worth the money?

I've only been in this wonderful hobby for a short 5 months is the reason I am asking this question. What a wonderful 5 months it's been and it feels like its been a lot longer with all the reading I've been doing.

Either way, is the Quickload program worth the money? I've been teetering back and forth on whether to get it or not. I've seen it mentioned here and there in the forums. To a new loader like me is it worth to fork over the dough for it or is it a program that really a seasoned reloading vet would benefit from?
Old August 27, 2012, 07:24 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Every last penny.

You have to know what it's telling you and there is certainly a learning curve but it's information is invaluable.
Old August 27, 2012, 07:30 PM   #3
dunerjeff

I started loading a wildcat cartridge and there is no load data for. By plugging in all the little settings for my gun and variables, it was extremely accurate in what every powder would do and where the limits were. It was well worth it.
Old August 27, 2012, 07:42 PM   #4
Crosshair

Yes.

I wish they could come up with a version that did shot shells.
Old August 27, 2012, 11:44 PM   #5
Clark

If you look at load books and think about new loads, then it is worth it.
if your loads never change, then it might not be.
Quickload comes with Quicktarget.
I started shooting big game at long range in 2008. Since then I have killed 13 animals, 11 of which I used trajectory data from Quicktarget. The other two were close.
I hunt 960 miles from home. My brother has been hunting with me there too, and bought a couple houses there. He called today and said he is getting a computer set up there. I will buy another Quickload program in a week or two and get it on his computer. That way when I shoot at 600 yards over a chronograph on the road 5 minutes from town, I can go back to town and work out my drop chart.
Quicktarget also calculates wind drift, and I also put that data on the chart strapped to my range finder.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old August 28, 2012, 12:02 AM   #6
NWPilgrim

Absolutely worth it. It is great for predicting loads for unlisted combinations of OAL, bullet, powder, barrel length. Be sure to read the warnings and work up from starting loads.

The loads I have clocked with my chronograph are within 50 fps of QL prediction.

Just don't use it blindly. If there is some setting or measurement you don't understand then ask around. I mostly use default settings but have added a few custom bullets to the data file. Always double check the criteria you have set to make sure you did't forget to change something.
Old August 28, 2012, 11:41 AM   #7
5R milspec

man if I had the money in hand to the amount of powder I have shoot useing QL I would retire.even bullets
Old August 28, 2012, 01:39 PM   #8
math teacher

Crosshair,

Looks like an opportunity for someone. The secret to success is finding a need and filling it.
Old August 28, 2012, 02:02 PM   #9
Sevens

I've been very close to purchasing it a couple of times, but can't get myself to do it -- and my reasoning is quite simply that folks who know the software well constantly praise it's abilities in bottle neck rifle rounds and just as often mention that it's not nearly as accurate when working with straight-wall handgun rounds.

I'm a handgun loader for dead sure certain, I actively load for 16 different handgun rounds. The rifle loading I do is sporadic at best.

If we were talking about a $50 piece of software, I'd be on it, but that's not the case.

It sounds, from all that I've read, that it's worth it -- just not to me.
Old August 28, 2012, 02:22 PM   #10
jwrowland77

Since I haven't been reloading too long, I only reload for two pistol and two rifle. Hopefully soon I'll be loading a couple more rifle round and one more pistol round.
Old August 28, 2012, 02:23 PM   #11
oneounceload

Quote:
I wish they could come up with a version that did shot shells.
But shotshell is not metallic, you do not "work up" a load - you follow the simple recipes as established by the folks with the proper pressure testing equipment
Old August 28, 2012, 02:30 PM   #12
tkglazie

how much does it cost?
Old August 28, 2012, 03:38 PM   #13
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

QuickLoad Source and Info
Old August 28, 2012, 07:21 PM   #14
Clark

Quote:
Sevens
I've been very close to purchasing it a couple of times, but can't get myself to do it -- and my reasoning is quite simply that folks who know the software well constantly praise it's abilities in bottle neck rifle rounds and just as often mention that it's not nearly as accurate when working with straight-wall handgun rounds.

I'm a handgun loader for dead sure certain, I actively load for 16 different handgun rounds.
It can be very accurate with velocity predictions for straight wall handgun rounds, like 380 at 20kpsi with Power Pistol or 45 Colt at 20 kpsi with H110.

What makes QL nuts is the big muzzle fireball in 9mm at 50kpsi with Power Pistol. It thinks that is 1,000,000 psi, because it calculates worst case for that powder that burned in the fireball to have, instead, burned in the chamber.

And the QL instructions warn about that... but not in those terms.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old August 28, 2012, 08:04 PM   #15
jepp2

Quote:
and just as often mention that it's not nearly as accurate when working with straight-wall handgun rounds.
My experience has been that it has worked very well for me in my straight wall handgun rounds. I normally load my 9mm rounds to the maximum length for my pistols, which can be quite different in length than book loads. I goal for 24K PSI for my 9mm handloads for reliable slide action, and it has always worked well for me.

I like to select loads for revolvers that match the pressure I want for the BHN of the bullets I use. Again, it works very well for me.

I'm sure others have experience to the contrary, but to date it has always been spot on for me.
Old August 28, 2012, 08:13 PM   #16
5R milspec

Clark why would you want to buy it again.All one has to do is run the same disk in another computer.

I did this for both our computers so that I could have it around no matter what.The wife hates it but when we go places and my computer isn't around I still have her's.

OP: If you are really getting into shooting then buy it.If not I would wait.For me I had been loading for about 10 years before I bought it.Just being able to make a load on the computer is great.Now don't get me wrong I cannot see holes in a target but can see that a powder/bullet choice may/may not work together.The numbers you get just give you a piece of mind QL will let you know if the load is OK or not.You get a white yellow purple or red load.White means really safe if not to low to red meaning not to use.
Old August 28, 2012, 08:22 PM   #17
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

QuickLoad is probably somewhat less consistent with straight-walled cartridges but it's done well for me with 10mm, which is the only straighty I use.

I can tell you one thing, I've never heard of a single person that bought QuickLoad that wished they hadn't, I've heard nothing but praise from people who have used it and the only negatives I've run across are "theories" from people who have never used it and generally don't think a computer can tell you what QuickLoad tells you.

It's not perfect, mind you. My lot of IMR3031, for example, seems to be considerably hotter than QL predicts but that's the ONLY serious difference I've seen in 2 handgun cartridges and 5 rifle catridges, using a dozen different bullets and 7 or more powders.

It predicts my 22-250 and 204Ruger loads within 35fps at speeds of 4,035 and 4,435fps. That's about a 1% error.
Old August 28, 2012, 08:38 PM   #18
amamnn

I have been very happy with QL for my uses and would have given it a 100% thumbs up but for 2 things:

1--an upgraded version is LONG overdue. I have version 3.6 and it does not have info on "new" powders I want load info on in cartridges not listed on websites like IMR 8028 XBR Hodgon's CFE 223 and IMR 4007 SSC to mention a few. Some of these powders are more than 3 years old in the market. The bullet files are out of date as well.

2-- I've recently been told--and was able to verify for myself that there are glaring mistakes in the program. The ones I have verified do not really affect me as they are in loads for cartridges I either no longer shoot--or have been shooting for so long that I know the loads are good and never needed QL for them in the first place.

In Neco's defense we have to remember that they do state over and over that QL is not a replacement for current manuals and should be used in conjunction with same. If you want to load the most common rifle and handgun cartridges with the most common powders and maybe do some experimenting and comparisons between components in those cartridges without actually buying all the components, QL is still a good product-------if v.3.7 is a free upgrade when it comes out....or at least pretty inexpensive...............
Old August 28, 2012, 08:51 PM   #19
jwrowland77

Yeah I'm not so much into the experiment side of things, but like I've seen it can tell me, should all other things be put in correctly, whether my case is 80% or 90% and give me some kind of sense on if it's safe or not. I've been into shooting for a long time but only been reloading for a short while.

Don't worry I'm not looking for any short cuts. I would just like something to ease my mind a bit more when I shoot a new workup for my daughter and her gun. I'm just trying to be as safe as possible in all areas while making effective rounds for her to shoot and hunt with. Of course I am beginning to play a bit with OAL and all that good stuff, so I'm just taking extra precautions take keep my baby girl safe while she has fun shooting. I figure I do enough worrying for me and her both combined. . That's what daddies are for.
Old August 28, 2012, 09:56 PM   #20
wncchester

Worth it? Not to me.

Look at the projected paths of hurricanes; the spreading area ahead of each storm represents a collection of computer projections,each one is supposed to predict the path. The programers have some really big computers and a LOT of data to base the programs on; not only are the projections widely different they are often quite inaccurate in the event. And those storm projections are made with millions of dollars worth of data samples, skilled people and very high priced hardware so they are about as good as computer models can get. The support for internal ballistics projections aren't even in the same ball park as the weather guys, for whatever that's worth.
Old August 28, 2012, 10:38 PM   #21
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Internal ballistics is also several orders of magnitude less complex than weather. Probably more than several.
Old August 29, 2012, 07:15 AM   #22
rbernie

FWIW - seemingly every US-based bullet and powder manufacturer has QL available within their ENG or CS departments. If you need non-standard data on an occasional basis only, you can always email the bullet and powder manufacturers and get them to suggest load data for chamberings and/or powder/bullet combinations not covered in the standard manuals.

That's what I've done, and the load data provided has been very helpful.
Old August 29, 2012, 04:43 PM   #23
dunerjeff

To compare QL and the weather prediction software is well??? It just baffles me to even compare them. Powders are manmade and testable, the weather is completely variable with no real way to test so it is just an educated guess. Two entirely different entities.
People swore at those loud ,annoying,unreliable horseless carriages also back in the 1890's. What good are they?
Old August 29, 2012, 07:01 PM   #24
Clark

Quote:
dunerjeff
To compare QL and the weather prediction software is well??? It just baffles me to even compare them.
Compare it to Turbo Tax and you will feel better.
Old August 29, 2012, 07:49 PM   #25
jepp2

Quote:
To a new loader like me is it worth to fork over the dough for it or is it a program that really a seasoned reloading vet would benefit from?
I think it is one of things that if you are still asking if you would benefit from using QL, the answer is not yet.

You will know when you are ready for it.

How many threads question the data in loading manuals because the maximum load in one manual is below the starting point of another manual. Was the load developed in a universal receiver? What is the water capacity of your brass/chamber size? When you start asking these questions, you will know you are ready to add a resource that can help you with your load development.

Yes, it needs to have the newer powders added. But adding bullets is so easy a cave man could do it.