The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 12, 2011, 03:15 PM   #1
LongRangeCoach

Long Distance Shooting Instruction

I am new to the Firing Line forums. I am interested in possibly becoming a shooting coach/instructor. I am a disabled veteran, lifelong shooter, and I have been reloading all of my own ammo for over 15 years. I do not intend this post to be an advertisement or trying to take advantage of the forum administrators. I simply would like to get some feedback from other shooters as to any interest in attending an instruction/shooting "class". The areas of interest could vary according to what individual areas each person would like to get better in, handgun, rifle, archery, shotgun. Please feel free to offer me your opinions, and criticisms. I want to "test the waters" and find out what people would like to learn about. I am located in Bozeman Montana, and I would welcome any feedback either through the forum or by email. Thanks, and I look forward to hearing what you have to say.

Travis Kamps
[email protected]
Old May 12, 2011, 03:24 PM   #2
chadstrickland

Go check out the U S training center...aka blackwater...never been there..but have only read good things...lol I know this ain't much but you are probably about to get alot more knowledgeable people tell you some options
Two weapons that was designed by the same man still in use by the us military 100 years later...1911 and m2...is there anything that comes close.....lol annd maybe perhaps a sig sauer p226 tac ops edition..
Old May 13, 2011, 07:16 AM   #3
TDR911

I would start by contacting NRA. Here is a link to the instructor training.

http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/instructor.asp

Getting NRA certified will be the first start . It will also help you with insurance as well. They offer many different disiplines in hand gun, shotgun, rifle, etc. You can be certified in each area. Its also helps to bring in new clients.
After that there are many top instructors that offer instructor classes.
These guys are basicly on the next level. Much more intense self defense training and personal awareness. Not sure of who is in the Montana area but I am sure there are some. I will do a check in my favorites and see what I can come up with.

It comes down to who your intended students are and what type classes you want to teach. NRA classes are more of the start-up informational, getting the first fundimentals down, along with some basic self defense, and most important gun Safety and Handling. First steps is designed for the first time gun owner.
Personaly I feel that this is the most important level to be taught because so many of the gun owners today are not familiar with gun safety and proper handling of a firearm both at the range or at home. I was an FFL for years and you could see that many of my customers who purchased a gun had no idea of how to safely handle a firearm. I moved to the west Florida area to open a gun range & training facility. Since the real estate market collapse it has been on hold.
I will do some research for you in the Montana area.

http://mtfi.org/

There are many trainers that offer instructor training. Cumberland tactics is 1 that I know of.
Also try a google search for Montana Firearms trainers.

If you are looking for long range thats a whole different group of people.
SnipersHide Forum is where I hang out as well. I shoot long range rifle every week and once a month out to 1,000 yards. Multiple steel targets at different ranges . We change the target range at every cold range secession so as to have constantly changing unknown distances so we can range thru our scopes and shoot.
Looking to go beyond 1,000 yards but no where to do that in Florida.
Rifles only in Texas is also a great place to get long distance training.

www.TDR911.com

Last edited by TDR911; May 13, 2011 at 07:31 AM.
Old May 13, 2011, 12:19 PM   #4
Buzzcook

My experience on this board and others is that most people seem to want to shoot 1000yd targets and become tactically proficient with handguns.

Personally I think you would better teaching the basics of firearm safety and basic marksmanship. While it is better served now, there is still a need for instruction tailored for women shooters.
Old May 13, 2011, 01:10 PM   #5
LongRangeCoach

I very much appreciate all of the tips and pointers that you guys have brought to my attention. I do plan to go through an NRA instructors course, and probably will do all disciplines. My passion has always been to shoot as far as possible, with whatever firearm is being utilized.
The service that I want to provide would be more of a "coach" than an instructor with a bunch of people on the firing line, barking commands. I would rather have a single person who simply wants to improve their shooting skills. Maybe a client has a very expensive hunt planned to Alaska, South America, Africa, etc... My objective is to provide some help and insight to them, so when those big shots happen, they have all of the skills and knowledge to make a devastating shot on the animal.
I am simply a guy that has learned a lot through trial and error shooting in all field weather conditions from the Middle East to the Rocky Mountains. I have an engineering degree from and understand ballistics, trajectory, and all of the factors affecting bullet flight. I can teach people how to use any scope rifle combo to range a target, and adjust at extremely long ranges. I'm sure we have all watched a whitetail hunting show when the hunter is sitting in an elevated blind resting on the window sill, or some other "dead rest", but they are not capable of making a shot out past 250 or 300 yards. The reality is that they do have the ability to make that shot, they just don't realize it.
I also love to shoot pistols and revolvers. I try to compete locally whenever I can at USPSA (IPSC) events, including 3-gun shoots. Archery has become a great way to "extend" my hunting season each year, and I think that if the hunter practices at long ranges then they should be able to push out their maximum comfort zone.
Based on what a client wants to achieve, whether hunting, self defense, competition shooting, or just bring back new skills to impress their own shooting buddies, I can help achieve their goals. And my guess is that each person will teach me a lot as well!
I appreciate any help that you would be willing to offer as to potential clients close to Montana. I also want to say that I will hold all inquiries in confidence. I don't want people to be nervous about soliciting assistance.
There is no substitute for trigger time behind your own firearms.

Travis Kamps
(406) 580-9700
[email protected]
Old May 13, 2011, 01:54 PM   #6
yournodaisy

Being a former Blackwater graduate..I would work sometime on basics before worrying about long range. That 1000 yrds can be a bi#$@ch.

Tags
ar-series , handgun , long range shooting , optics training , rifle