The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 3, 2012, 02:49 AM   #1
BlakeBev

when was my Winchester made?

I have a winchester lever action rifle...almost in perfect condition...serial number is 136918, has no modifications or scratches...it was my grandfathers...would like to know what year it was made...maybe where it came from and the worth
Old September 3, 2012, 07:27 PM   #2
Hawg

Pics will help. Without a model number it will be impossible to identify.
Old September 3, 2012, 08:20 PM   #3
PetahW

Your Winchester appears to have been made in 1898.

No body can (or will) give a value for a "Winchester rifle" - since that's like asking for a value for a "Ford truck".

1) What is it's "condition" - not "good", or "good considering it's age". "Condition" refers to the remaining original factory finish (%) on wood & metal parts, the mechanical operating condition, the disclosure of any known defects like rust, scratches, cracks, dents, gouges, bulges & bluing loss (aka:"patina").

2) Which Model is it - a Model 1894 Rifle, or a Model 1894 Carbine ?

3) What extra or Special Order features (if any) does the gun have, over/above the standard issue ?

4) Have there been any modifications ?

Without those questions answered, any firearm could be a $25 tomato stake, or a $20,000 collector's item - who knows ?

Old September 4, 2012, 06:43 AM   #4
BlakeBev

ok

here is the only pic i have right now...no camera

to answer you questions. some one told me it was an 1894 carbine, simply because of the band at the front holding the two tubes together, and the condition is very good considering its age...no cracks rust...one small scratch about a cm long on the underneith of the stock. there have been absolutely no mods to it and im pretty sure its a standard issue...im not sure what exactly they came with but nothing fancy, no engraving or anything. and the gun functions perfectly fired a few rounds the other day and everything worked great....
Old September 4, 2012, 07:19 AM   #5
eastbank

better pic,s are needed. if thats a bolt or large pin threw the stock at the grip it not original. the rifle looks like it was used a lot and is not in perfect condition. rear sight does not look like a carbing sight. picture may make it look like that. eastbank.
Old September 4, 2012, 09:31 AM   #6
PetahW

Yes, you have a 4th year of production, solid-frame (as opposed to a takedown) Winchester Model 1894 (before it became a Model 94) Carbine (not Rifle Model).

Somebody's replaced the normal Carbine/ladder rear sight with a Rifle (model) rear sight, it looks like the stock's wrist has a screw or throughbolt repair for a split buttstock, the original metal finish's just about non-existant (replaced by a "patina" of weathered unprotected metal), and the wood finish is history, also.

While some HOWARD'S FEED 'N WAX may help the wood somewhat, IMHO the gun is worth more as a momento of your Grandfather than any monetary reward.

I would think that an insurance value would be somewhere around $500, +/-, but my opinion's worth exactly what you've paid for it.

Last edited by PetahW; September 4, 2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old September 4, 2012, 09:51 AM   #7
BlakeBev

d

oh wow, didnt know that the bolt wasnt supposed to be in the grip there...